Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very new to diving but I had already sensed a little of this "aura" be your own man, dont ask for help, if you need help you shouldnt be here. So I had wondered how I would be percieved in the diving community.

I am so glad that I read this post.
I am so glad that the vast majority of folks had a different perspective than the original poster.

I am quite capable of doing everything my self...but being the mother of 3 sons and having a doting husband, there is a high probabiltiy that someone will always insist on helping me.
One reason of course is manners, but another (unspoken) reason may be that I slow them down, so if they help me they are really speeding things up.

One thing I dont understand (and I see it all areas of life) is why some folks are offended when my husband does things for me and vise-versa.

I am quite capable of doing everything my self...but being the mother of 3 sons and having a doting husband, there is a high probabiltiy that someone will always insist on helping me.
One reason of course is manners, but another (unspoken) reason may be that I slow them down, so if they help me they are really speeding things up.

I've seen this first hand in some of the groups I've dove with. I've also learned that people react differently to the perceived stress of being rushed. For some reason, I always tend to have my gear assembled and ready to get in the water first. Depending on who I'm diving with, I may harasse them with a "hurry up slowpoke, I didnt know we were doing a night dive" or I may wander off and find something to look at or "fuss" with or adjust something on my gear so they don't feel that I'm rushing them.

That being said...

Are you a vacation diver? Do you 'expect' someone to carry all of your gear...babysit you underwater (not just be a buddy), are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear?

Ok....IF you answered YES to any of the above...you have no business putting yourself on a boat 'assuming' someone will take care of you.

Could I get a clarification on this? If it smells like moldy scuba gear and fast food can I still get on the boat?

I can't believe I just read the whole thread.
There is nothing wrong with buddies helping carry tanks, zip drysuits, untangle straps, or run back to the shore (if you're in the water and they're not yet) to get something you may have forgotten. Everyone has done this at some point and has offered to help a buddy in the same manner. It doesn't make me a bad diver if my buddy offers to carry my tank while I help him carry other assorted pieces of gear of his. That's what buddies/ friends do. There have also been times when it was absolutely necessary that I NOT carry heavy loads (just after knee surgery) and my buddies were fine with helping me gear up and get in the water. Being in the water helped me recover the use of my knee much quicker through the resistance. I probably couldn't have hauled my buddy to shore during that time, but my buddies were very well aware of the situation before hand and I would like to think that they would rather dive with me than not because of my temporary handicap.
As for expecting DMs to do all the work, I would prefer that they didn't help me set up my gear but helping me get back in the boat while wearing 50lbs of gear in 4ft swells and ripping current? Well, that would be kind of expected for safety reasons. So while yes, I can indeed haul my butt out of the water by myself, there are times when it would be much, much safer to have someone with a steady hand on board to help. I would do the same for my buddy (and anyone else who needed the assistance) even though I'm not getting paid to do so. I don't particularly like being on DM-led dives, but once again, sometimes it is smarter to do so, like if I'm in a new location and don't know what to expect in terms of current, etc... AFAIK, it has been said many times on this board that it always helps to have a local go with you the first time you dive in an unfamiliar place. I would pay someone for that knowledge to help me have a safer dive. Does it make me a bad diver if I ask for someone with more experience to accompany me? No, but maybe a conservative diver, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. We all have needed assistance at some point during our progression, including instructors/ master divers/ etc...
It doesn't make someone a bad diver to ask for help at any point.
Expecting help is a different story, though, which is what one typically sees on vacation in the Caribbean.
Is this what the OP was implying?

Good news folks, MANY Dive ops/charters LIKE helping you out with your gear, carrying tanks and weights so you don't have to (you are on vacation, they aren't), showing you cool stuff, being there to brush up your skills in a kind mentoring fashion and being PROFESSIONALS.

The OP doesn't.

Are you a vacation diver? Do you 'expect' someone to carry all of your gear...babysit you underwater (not just be a buddy), are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear?

-Can I haul my gear ALONE to the charter(tanks included)? Back to your car after the dive?
-Can I haul my butt out of the water alone if the conditions get ugly (or even if they are mild)?
-Could I rescue myself?
-Will my buddy feel safe with me as their buddy?
-Would you feel good about yourself putting someone elses life at risk just because you are too dependent?

Vacation diver - generally yes - nowdays anyhow.
Have someone carry my gear - nope.
Babysit me - nope
Boat etiquette (sp) - what? I can't pee off the stern?
Smelly truck - sorry, my truck smells like I farted in it...that counts right?

Can I haul my gear? Yes, uphill, barefoot, in the snow, both ways with twin steels strapped on.
Can I rescue myself? Yes, but if for some reason I can't - will you be there or am I'm just gurgling by myself at 100+ feet....or are you trying to tell me that we are just in the same ocean together.
Will my instabuddy feel safe with me - prolly not until we make some dives together.
Risk of life - oh man, my life is at risk whenever I go in the water, but wait, so is yours.

I certainly can understand the issues the OP mentioned...I just don't agree with much (if any) of it. I'm reminded of something - if it stops being fun, then it's time to find something else fun to do. And it really sounds as if you aren't having fun. For that, I'm truly sorry. But for me - I still love to dive - even after 29 years. And if someone needs help, assistance, guidance, whatever, I hope I can be there. Sure, it's not my job - it's my way of life.

Safe dives.

Simply put the ops attitude is a little harsh.

No one is born with experience you earn it and as a professional you should know that.

An instructor is meant to be a beacon for others to look up to particularly new divers.

I agree that some CUSTOMERS can be lazy and expect to much. I also agree that inexperienced divers need to be accompanied if they feel uncomfortable at a new site, and should expect to pay for the service.

Its worth considering that not all divers are capable of carrying gear and normally have set buddies to dive with that are used to this.

However on holiday they will look at a trained professional for help and assistance my own company's and associate company's would expect our staff to assist and be happy about it.

One time, when I was diving, I accidentally the whole dive, is that bad?

Oh noes

oh-noes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom