Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
......and I'll stand up and say, ya know... some folks shouldn't be diving......

When not painting almost every diver with the same brush I wholly agree. Had the OP made just this statement, I would be totally on side with her (and with the puppet master as well). Sadly, they chose to isolate and insult the vast majority of divers. I have dove with what I believe are some pretty dangerous divers (ONCE only of course) and seen more of that "type". Some people definitely should not be diving. But that is NOT because they expected somebody to haul their gear etc.......it was because they were UNSAFE. Lazy is not a crime. Even the biggest Princess can be capable of being a safe diver......expecting someone else to move your gear does not make you unsafe.

BTW, I would be surprised if anybody disagreed with your statement above.

Diving is not an elite activity for the skilled, trained, intelligent, athletic, wealthy, or considerate. Diving is for everyone even if they are annoying or stupid.

Basically what your post said was we should not have rules in the diving industry because we should allow even the most stupid and genetically challenged person to get in the water with us. :thumb: Good idea :shakehead:

I agree that you can safely say that a diver does NOT have to carry the traits which I bolded from your poast above. However, if they do not carry the other traits where it applies to diving only, then I believe that they should not be diving. A Darwin candidate will find a way to get into the water but that does not mean that they SHOULD be there (leaving aside the whole Fate discussion).

Basically what your post said was we should not have rules in the diving industry because we should allow even the most stupid and genetically challenged person to get in the water with us. :thumb: Good idea :shakehead:

Darwin ftw. We let them drive, work cranes, drink booze.....

True enough but they MAY be safe at driving and still stupid.....safe operating a crane but still stupid. Booze.....well it has the power to make us all stupid. Bottom line is, darwinism or not, if a person can be a "safe diver" then there is nothing wrong with them diving. I'll dive with a safe diver even if their head is full of lettuce about politics or automobiles or economics or.....they just need to know diving IMO.

Hello everyone! The few that know me know I'm a lurker here. I also have a butt load of dives (and I'm an instructor) so occasionally I feel strong enough about a subject where I have a "NEED" to post.

That being said...

Are you a vacation diver? Do you 'expect' someone to carry all of your gear...babysit you underwater (not just be a buddy), are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear?

Ok....IF you answered YES to any of the above...you have no business putting yourself on a boat 'assuming' someone will take care of you. Unless you have paid (dearly) to a licensed DM for personal assistance DO NOT go on a charter assuming your buddy will do all of this for you. Sure, I've done it...and will do it on occasion for a regular dive buddy, who I know does not expect it from me or anyone else, just being nice.

IF you are not experienced enough(be honest with yourself..or ask me..I'm not shy..I'll tell you straight up), have ongoing health issues, or are for whatever reason you feel 'dependent' on others for you to have a good dive...the best possible solution would be for you to ONLY dive on larger boats, and hire a DM for your personal assistance. Your friends DO NOT want to carry your gear (yes ladies that means you too) They are there to enjoy diving..not spend their day worried about if YOU can finish the dive...or the day.

So...before you go diving...
After your gear check...
ask yourself...

-Can I haul my gear ALONE to the charter(tanks included)? Back to your car after the dive?
-Can I haul my butt out of the water alone if the conditions get ugly (or even if they are mild)?
-Could I rescue myself?
-Will my buddy feel safe with me as their buddy?
-Would you feel good about yourself putting someone elses life at risk just because you are too dependent?

If you could not answer ALL of the questions with YES, then you need to rethink any diving without being under the direct supervision of a paid DM or INSTRUCTOR. (no solicitation implied)

Your friends and associates are not there to hold your hand. They had to do it themselves...so should you.

You could very possibly be ruining someones fun insuring your own.

Hi,
After reading our profile I was surprised to see that you are an "instructor" but not surprised to see that you need a buddy.

We can all learn something on each dive, in fact in all our endeavors through life, especially if we have empathy and an open mind. Only then will we become as experienced as we think we are.

I think all of us has seen a diver or two, who really shouldn't be in the water, because they are a true hazard to them self and others. Darwin aside, they're activities not only put themselves at risk, but others who might be required to try to save them from their results of their stupidity.

When I first read this thread that was not the type of diver I thought was being discussed, but rather, an annoying, needy, irritating, and demanding diver. Not someone who shouldn't be diving, but someone the OP thought was asking too much. The choice of words may not have been ideal, but most of us can also think of a diver that we'd rather not dive with again, simply because of their irritating personalities.

It's a big ocean, and I can't begrudge this second type of diver their right to dive, just not with me.
The first, truly unsafe diver, probably also has the right to kill them-self by any method they choose, but them I want really far away from me and those I care for. Luckily I have only rarely encountered this diver, but they are out there. Every diver and operator has the right to refuse to either dive with or do business with someone they consider such high risk.

I don't mind hauling gears for the hot dive chicks.

Hot or not, I'm not hauling your stuff. In fact, being able to take care of yourself has a certain sex appeal all its own.

Belated thanks for your responses. I've come to the conclusion that really we don't need a DM for safety's sake. But I think he (she) will be useful to get the most out of the dive, so we're going to retain the DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom