Can you still buy Cipro in Coz w/o seeing a dr there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also know the difference between "traveler's diarrhea" and a bacterial intestinal infection and would not take Cipro for the former.
That's weird. I thought that the majority of cases of travelers' diarrhea are caused by a bacterial enteropathogen. Localized to the gut, that would be the definition of a "bacterial intestinal infection," right?

Perhaps you meant to write: "...the difference between travelers' diarrhea and another type of bacterial intestinal infection and would not take Cipro for the former."

Have fun on your trip...

That's weird. I thought that the majority of cases of travelers' diarrhea are caused by a bacterial enteropathogen. Localized to the gut, that would be the definition of a "bacterial intestinal infection," right?

Perhaps you meant to write: "...the difference between travelers' diarrhea and another type of bacterial intestinal infection and would not take Cipro for the former."

Have fun on your trip...

If it makes you feel better to rewrite my post, then that works for me. :)

I also know the difference between "traveler's diarrhea" and a bacterial intestinal infection and would not take Cipro for the former.
What, exactly, is the difference? As far as I know, we've all been talking about traveler's diarrhea and bacterial intestinal infection as if they were one and the same.

What causes travelers' diarrhea?
Infectious agents are the primary cause of TD. Bacterial enteropathogens cause approximately 80% of TD cases. The most common causative agent isolated in countries surveyed has been enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). ETEC produce watery diarrhea with associated cramps and low-grade or no fever. Besides ETEC and other bacterial pathogens, a variety of viral and parasitic enteric pathogens also are potential causative agents.

Disease Listing, Travelers' Diarrhea, General Information | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases

That said, you can certainly get some other intestinal bacterial nasties in Mexico besides ETEC. Salmonella, for one. I got a case of that back in my SD college days after a wild night in TJ and too many street tacos, affirmatively diagnosed from a stool sample deposited at the university medical center. That's a world apart from typical traveler's diarrhea, as someone would hopefully notice from "revenge" that would make Montezuma wince, non-stop vomiting, fever, and cramps that double you over in pain (I actually let them give me an IM shot for the cramps and I hate needles, that's how bad it was). Needless to say, I did take antibiotics for that, though I forget now which flavor.

All right fine, you guys win, okay? When I said that, I meant that for my personal experience, TD is something I can get over in a day or 2, a more serious "bacterial infection" is something that makes me violently ill, requiring treatment by a dr and several rounds of antibiotics and generally lasts for a few weeks. In that event, the Cipro I originally inquired about is an emergency med to get me through until I can see a dr, either at home or in Coz. Better? Sheesh!

This is one of my pet peeves.

When you compare the rate of antibiotic resistance in the US to the rate of antibiotic resistance in Scandinavia, where their use is strictly controlled, you may gain appreciation for the scope of the problem. Our pattern of overuse has rendered many of them completely ineffectual which is scary.

Let's not miss the point that a healthy normal immune system can often beat bacterial infections without any chemical assistance. Give your body a chance to do it's job. Probiotics before a trip are a very good idea, as is following your doctor's instructions for when to use any antibiotics you may carry with you.

TS and M's simple but sage advice, more than 48 hours plus fever, is a good one for when to pull the trigger on a GI infection. Ideally, you would have a stool culture first and would be able to match the drug to the bug.

For those as clueless as I: Probiotics

All right fine, you guys win, okay? When I said that, I meant that for my personal experience, TD is something I can get over in a day or 2, a more serious "bacterial infection" is something that makes me violently ill, requiring treatment by a dr and several rounds of antibiotics and generally lasts for a few weeks. In that event, the Cipro I originally inquired about is an emergency med to get me through until I can see a dr, either at home or in Coz. Better? Sheesh!
Nope, still not right.

If you have a bad ETEC infection, the antibiotics should do the job completely in 3-5 days; a single 500mg Cipro and you'll already start feeling some relief as the bugs are killed off, the full course is the "scorched earth" policy necessary so none survive to regroup (and with greater resistance).

CDC says (same cite as before): "Travelers who develop three or more loose stools in an 8-hour period---especially if associated with nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, fever, or blood in stools---may benefit from antimicrobial therapy. Antibiotics usually are given for 3-5 days."

If you've got something that lasts for a few weeks, requiring 'several rounds' of antibiotics, and you're violently ill, I strongly, strongly suggest you don't self-medicate, but see a doctor. No need to take the Cipro 'until you can see a doctor', go see a doctor right away.

Three or more loose stools is one thing, but if you've got blood in them stools and vomiting, you might have something far worse than ETEC. If the Cipro self-medication doesn't work, you might find yourself hooked up to an IV in a Mexican emergency room and that doesn't sound like any fun.

That's why I think the "emergency Cipro" is only a good idea if you're somewhere without doctors and hospitals, like a liveboard, or where the doctors and hospitals might be worse than the cure, such as PNG or Truk. On Cozumel, medicine is modern enough and you'll be fine with a locally-recommended doc.

I am not a doctor but a Registered Nurse. I used to provide immunizations and information in a travel clinic, albeit it was over a decade ago so some of my points my be considered out of date. Personally I would have my prescription filled in the US prior to departure. One of the reasons being that if I became ill and needed further treatment back in the states my internist knows exactly what I took hopefully trying to eliminate a drug which is resistant. I am sure the Cipro in Mexico is of equal quality, but I can tell you that a lot of US docs would probably shrug off the idea of taking a drug from Mexico and have you start from square one with the Cipro since it is cheap and the introduction of other meds get expensive and complicated.

To be honest, at the risk of controversy, I will always travel with my filled bottle of Cipro. Odds are that it will never be used, but I cannot imagine not having it with me when I got so violently ill in Roatan. Good luck with your decision. There is a lot of good info on these boards :)

I got a "just in case" Cipro prescription from my dr here but he only gave me 6 (legal limit, I guess).

There's no such thing as a legal limit on ciprofloxacin. It's more likely that that's all he thought would be necessary to treat the sort of bacterial enteritis that ciprofloxacin is capable of treating. How sure are you that you really need more? What did your doctor say when you asked about this? If you didn't ask, why on earth not?

Just as here, you're supposed to have a prescription for antibiotics to minimize inappropriate use and the emergence of antibiotic-resistant organisms

For those as clueless as I: Probiotics

What's the saying? An ounce of prevention....

This stuff is like adding yeast to your septic system. Makes it work a whole lot better! :D:D:D

And I quote:

At the start of the 20th century, probiotics were thought to beneficially affect the host by improving its intestinal microbial balance, thus inhibiting pathogens and toxin producing bacteria.[3] Today, specific health effects are being investigated and documented including alleviation of chronic intestinal inflammatory diseases,[4] prevention and treatment of pathogen-induced diarrhea,[5] urogenital infections,[6] and atopic diseases.[7]

ANYONE GOING TO MEXICO should start a round of probiotics/acidopholous a week or 2 in advance. A bottle of pills is $8-9 at your local health food store. Plus if you have any regular stomach problems OR have been on antibiotics recently, they will straighten you right out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom