canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I swallowed the kool-aid too. Searched here about the plus/minus of both and went with a 12 watt LED from Salvo. The first one shut off on it's first dive after twenty minutes. The second one shut down fifteen minutes into it's first dive.
All this occurred during the switch from Salvo to Leviathan. My dive shop offered me a swap to a similar led light from another manufacturer. I ponied up some more cash and went with the 21 watt HID Salvo. It's what I wanted in the first place and talked myself out off just to save some money. There is NO comparison between the output or punch through between them. If you keep searching, I'm sure you can find what you want in the price range you are comfortable with. While the research and development is clearly behind the LEDs, IMHO, they ain't there yet!

:popcorn:

IMO LED's right now do not compare to HID in less than tropical vis. I have about 150 dives on my Salvo 21W HID and it's been flawless. I bought it used a year ago for $1000. You should be able to find them for around $800 now.

I also have a 12W LED Salvo. Compared to my 18W HID Salvo it is wimpy ... but I purchased it for travel ... which almost always means more clear conditions than I'm used to at home. For the Florida caves it's proven to be plenty of light. For night diving in the tropics, it's almost overkill. For day diving, it's almost useless. But it's only slightly larger and heavier than one of my backup lights, so it serves its purpose beautifully. And I really like having the twist-on switch on the light head.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seems like everyone is switching over to LED, I've just heard that Halcyon is D/Cing their HID line and going all LED.

Do you have any links or official announcements describing what they're coming out with?

Henrik

Another vote for Salvo/Light Monkey. I have the 21W HID and dive in pretty murky conditions. I keep hearing LED this and LED that and have dove alongside many of them. IMO they just are not as bright and focusable as the HIDs (yet). I would recommend going with a slightly used 21W over a new 10W because you'll save yourself the upgrade fever down the road (I find the 35 and 50W HIDs to actually be too bright)

Henrik...I suspect we're going to have to wait awhie for some official news from Halcyon...

Henrik...I suspect we're going to have to wait awhie for some official news from Halcyon...

That's too bad - "instant gratification just takes too long" :D

Henrik

I would recommend going with a slightly used 21W over a new 10W because you'll save yourself the upgrade fever down the road (I find the 35 and 50W HIDs to actually be too bright)

On the other hand...

It can also be argued that going for just what you need now is a better choice because light technology is improving rapidly while prices are dropping just as fast. When you need that upgrade you may be able to get something much better at a lower price. You may find that the better light you buy today will be an expensive dinosaur when you finally need that much power.

I see both sides because I am in that position right now myself. Do I upgrade now (before I really need it) or do I wait until the last minute to get the latest and greatest technology at a better price? Tough call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom