canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm not sure I'd spring for a brand new powerful HID light at retail right now . . . but the used ones are much better buys, and comparable to the cost of a new LED light. So I'm still on the side that, if you have a certain amount to spend, buying a used HID is going to get you more light RIGHT NOW. The one BIG advantage of the LEDs is not having a ballast, because at least in my experience, the ballast is one of the weak spots in an HID light.

On the other hand...

It can also be argued that going for just what you need now is a better choice because light technology is improving rapidly while prices are dropping just as fast. When you need that upgrade you may be able to get something much better at a lower price. You may find that the better light you buy today will be an expensive dinosaur when you finally need that much power.

I see both sides because I am in that position right now myself. Do I upgrade now (before I really need it) or do I wait until the last minute to get the latest and greatest technology at a better price? Tough call.

I think wait until you need it is usually the right call whatever the subject matter. In the case of lights you are correct in that technology is changing rapidly but even absent that it's still usually the correct call. Everything wears out so do you began wearing something out when you don't need it yet? If you wait it will last longer into the period where you do need it.

I think two things are going to happen. Led's will become brighter (of course) and for many reasons more people will switch. When that happens your light will not have to be as bright as your buddies HID since he won't have a HID. Eyes adjust to whatever the light level is. I also think we'll see less cannisters because they won't be necessary for anything other than caves due to changes in battery technology.

We'll see more hands free lights that just don't require a cannister.

The biggest downside to led's is that their light source is not a pin point like HID but with more power and better reflectors or lens this won't matter. There is a point underwater where enough light is enough. With HID 21W seems to be close to that point already.

You don't even need a canister for Caves. I can make a light head with 3 18650 Li-Ions in parallel running a P7 for 3-4 hrs. Much like the Intova Nova Light I believe but with a brighter emitter.

I bought an OMS canister light quite a few years ago directly from OMS while I was at a DEMA show. I still have it, I don’t know why, because IT NEVER WORKED RIGHT! It wouldn’t hold a charge from day one and OMS wouldn’t do anything about it! I’m still pissed off about that.

If it were me, I would take it to every demo dive within 500 miles, until they offered me enough $$$ to cover all lost $$$. Time + trip costs + original purchase cost.
eventually they would get sick of seeing me show up to let everyone see how they treat someone after the sale.
These companies stay alive by selling quality gear and backing it.
One would think that if you bought this item under ANY condition other than "AS IS" that they would simply make it right.
This being said, I am loyal to the brands which treat customers fairly.
This loyalty will often cause me to sometimes pay more for an item than the competition has it for. After seeing my gear, some people might think that I am brand specific as some sort of style thing. This couldn't be further from the truth for me.
My only requirements for gear are that it be capable of performing the tasks for which it was purchased(misjudgments are on me of course) & that it comes in black.
If my gear seems to have alot of any particular brand, it simply speaks volumes about my respect for those companies which have earned it through their actions to me and others in the marketplace.
Keep puting their CRAP out for all to see, they WILL come around, I'm sure

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a can light in the sub $1200 range. That puts me into the 10 watt LED/HID variety I think. I'll be diving mostly wrecks with the expectation of night diving also. Can someone shine a light on what I should be looking at?

You're in the price range of the new EOS halcyon 12W LED....I have one and have compared it directly to their 18W HID model. The 12W LED is brighter than the 18W. It is an awesome light.

Take a look at the SARTEK LED660 series. For 500-550 USD you can get the 3 C-cell light with 3 LED's that puts out quite a lot of light with burn times of 3-4 hours. As it uses standard c-cells you are not tied to a recharger and can get more batteries anywhere in the world. SARTEK offers them in a set where they can be used as a standard flash light or a cainster, for travel this may be a good way for you to go.

Sartek Industries, Inc. LED LIGHTING SYSTEMS AND FLASHLIGHTS

Greetings ClipperTT and I have been researching and comparing as many lights as I can to find the right one for me. Everyone is really correct in that the LED is great for normal conditions where you are in pretty good vis but if it is rough vis it can get iffy pretty quick. I tested this at a local quarry when while it was turning over and vis was 6-10 feet. The HID was visible and the LED was easy to loose.
Now to be fair in normal conditions I have used the Light Monkey LED and it is great light with amazing burn time. I tested the Dive Rite LED as well but liked the beam on the Light Monkey "Salvo" better.
To be really honest I have a 10 watt canister light a friend built for me that is just as bright as most of the LED's out there. It doesn't have 5 hours of burn time but is able to handle all the normal diving that I do.
My choice for my tough conditions and cave light is a 30 watt "Salvo" Light Monkey that I am currently saving up for. The 21 watt is awesome and the only reason I am rolling with the 30 watt is the day I tested the LM LED in really tough conditions my buddy had his 30 watt and it was incredible how that light cut through the haze! I was sold then and there. If you have the opportunity to dive around other lights by all means do so. I have learned much and found that not all are created equal and some you have to consider service and warrantee. My second pick would be a Dive Rite HID but in the 20 or above watt range.
It is kind of case specific for the diving and conditions you are going to be planning.
For me I have chosen to have two lights to fit my diving conditions. It never hurts to have a back up either!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'll add +1 for the used light. My 21w Salvo has made me happy for many years now. I've modified it myself to move the ballast from the head into the can with Oxycheq parts, so I'm not sure you can still call it a Salvo. But a good Salvo light will last for thousands of dives, and so you should have no worries about buying used, IMHO.

I have a buddy who seems to have unlimited funds, and so he is on his 3rd light in less than a few years - a 50w Salvo he bought right before they went under. I'll admit, when I dive with him sometimes I get light envy...:wink:

IMO, in our local waters a diver would want to have at least 18w, both for seeing and for buddy signaling.

I have been using an LED 700 for about a year now. Great in florida caves where the viz is generally good. I have a 12W LED from light Monkey on the way and it offers the same light with about the same burn time but with a much smaller can.

For really poor viz I do prefer the very tight spot on the MR11 10W HID, but its not a major deal for me.

FWIW, both seem to hold up well in good viz with my dive buddy's 35W HID Salvo, so unless you regularly dive in really crappy viz, LED is the way to go.

For around $1300, you can get a 21 LED from Light Monkey and it is adjustable from 20% to 100% output in 5 increments. I'm tempted to send another $500 in cash to go with it rather than the 12W LED.

I have been using an LED 700 for about a year now. Great in florida caves where the viz is generally good. I have a 12W LED from light Monkey on the way and it offers the same light with about the same burn time but with a much smaller can.

For really poor viz I do prefer the very tight spot on the MR11 10W HID, but its not a major deal for me.

FWIW, both seem to hold up well in good viz with my dive buddy's 35W HID Salvo, so unless you regularly dive in really crappy viz, LED is the way to go.

For around $1300, you can get a 21 LED from Light Monkey and it is adjustable from 20% to 100% output in 5 increments. I'm tempted to send another $500 in cash to go with it rather than the 12W LED.

you will be a lot happier with the extra $500.00 spent, great light:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom