Canon SD850IS with SL960D flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsevern

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Canon SD850IS and I just won a SeaLife SL960D flash off e-bay. The flash just arrived today.
I have the Canon WP housing for my camera.

Got everything plugged in, connected etc., but when I take test shots using the new flash, things are either VERY under-exposed of VERY over-exposed. Changing the power on the flash itself, didn't seem to make any difference.

I have disabled red-eye reduction and initially had the camera set on "Underwater". This provides a "Auto-ISO". I set the camera flash to Manual rather than Auto. Still get bad exposures.

The minimal instruction manual with the flash talks about setting shutter speed and aperature, but I don't seem to be able to set those things in Underwater mode.

I tried using Manual mode on the camera and I still can't set shutter or aperature, but I was able to dial the ISO back to 80...but shots were still over-exposed.

I'm totally new to underwater photography, but not new to photography. Any advice/tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

No, in the Underwater mode you have given away your control of the camera to let the camera decide what it wants to do. So you can't change aperture and shutter.

Set your camera to M (manual) and control your shutter and aperture. If things are too bright, select a faster shutter and/or a smaller aperture. Oh wait, I don't think you can control those on the SD850 anyway? It doens't even have an M (manual) mode, I dont' think?

Set your ISO at 50 or 100, whichever is the lowest.

I haven't used the SeaLife 960D strobe so can't offer advice on that other than general info, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom