Card Collector - Definition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd also say that, in my mind, a card collector is someone who has done very little diving other than class upon class. When somebody has less than 100 dives but a dozen cards, they haven't done much independent diving.

Well, I have this Dork Diver card. :rofl3:

Acquired solely for its amusement value...

Anyone who pays for an SSI/PADI Master Diver card (that isn't a NAUI one) is a badge collector. :popcorn:

Examples are SSI Advanced and SSI or PADI Master Diver.

I would have to disagree. An SSI Master Diver must take 4 specality classes, stress and rescue and complete 50 logged dives. This card will come printed with the 4 specality classes the diver took and provide proof that he/she is an Advanced Open Water diver and if you took Nitrox as one of your specality courses will server as your fill c-card for nitrox fills.

My point is, this single card is very useful as a "single card" you can carry with you instead of OW and Nitrox or Advanced OW and Nitrox. I usualy keep this one in my wallet and leave all the older cards in my dive log just incase If I forget my log book I have one in my wallet with all my proof.

Now, someone who goes about taking courses and orders a card for everyone one just to have is a card collector.

I would have to disagree. An SSI Master Diver must take 4 specality classes, stress and rescue and complete 50 logged dives. This card will come printed with the 4 specality classes the diver took and provide proof that he/she is an Advanced Open Water diver and if you took Nitrox as one of your specality courses will server as your fill c-card for nitrox fills.

My point is, this single card is very useful as a "single card" you can carry with you instead of OW and Nitrox or Advanced OW and Nitrox. I usualy keep this one in my wallet and leave all the older cards in my dive log just incase If I forget my log book I have one in my wallet with all my proof.

Is it really that hard to carry two cards instead of one?

There's nothing inherently wrong with collecting C-cards. The card is simply a recognition that you took a class. What matters is motivation ... WHY did you take the class. If it helps you be a better diver, good on ya ... collect them cards. Lots of folks collect more useless stuff than that.

FWIW - I just pulled these out of a drawer ... there's a few more kickin' around somewhere.

certcards.jpg

So am I a card collector? More to the point, why should it matter?

All anybody should really care about is what kind of diver I am ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well, my collection is almost as big as Bob's ...but... you know ... hard to find them all, get the camera out ... etc. etc. and i have two of those CROX and REMO ones, plus eight or nine of the ones with the tanks on them ... and twice as many of the Da Vinci Code ones ...

but i digress ...

anyway, what was this thread about?

I do have quite a few cards, and got most of them very early, but I'm glad of the training I got .... I feel like I've accomplished something whenever I complete one of Ian's classes
I do have one that I wanted just for the card (although the class actually turned out quite interesting due to my instructor)
Well, I have this Dork Diver card. :rofl3:

Acquired solely for its amusement value...
NatGeoCard.jpg

Oh, you ment a different card :D

Cards or not, I was always very consious of the fact that I was (am still) a new diver without a bunch of dives to give that training something to hang on

I'd also say that, in my mind, a card collector is someone who has done very little diving other than class upon class. When somebody has less than 100 dives but a dozen cards, they haven't done much independent diving.

Does that make them a card collector or someone who wants to make sure they feel comfortable diving before going off to do so on their own?

Now, if they run out of courses to take from the lDS and then STOP diving, I agree with you. Or if they do no diving that is not class related.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom