Card Collector - Definition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, my collection is almost as big as Bob's ...but... you know ... hard to find them all, get the camera out ... etc. etc. and i have two of those CROX and REMO ones, plus eight or nine of the ones with the tanks on them ... and twice as many of the Da Vinci Code ones ...

but i digress ...

anyway, what was this thread about?

Yeah ... I suspect I'll be getting a few more when I come to Florida in a coupla weeks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob is a Card **** :wink: :D

... if the cards give me access to the dives I wanna do (and the skills to do them safely) ... you betchya ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah ... I suspect I'll be getting a few more when I come to Florida in a coupla weeks ...

lol, i was teasing ... you have an impressive training history

i have ... er ...

well, the ones with the Da Vinci Code have come in handy some times ... say, remind me what those are

on the serious side, i only have OW, Rescue, Nitrox, DIR-F, Advanced Nitrox, Deco Procedures, Cavern, Intro. Cave and Apprentice Cave

nowhere near your level of training

... at any rate, I am getting psyched for Florida. We don't have caves in Pugetropolis ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got my first C-card in 1977 after over a decade of diving uncertified. I only got the card because it had become very difficult to get my tank filled. It was a PADI Basic Scuba Diver card and fulfilled my only requirement at the time: to get my tank filled. But, over the following years, the meaning of "Basic Scuba" changed and I found myself being increasingly limited because the rating no longer meant what it had in the '70s. So, in 1992, I got my PADI Open Water Diver card. Lately, I have been thinking about going for the Advanced Open Water card because, once again, the parameters of the OW rating seem to have changed.

Basic Scuba Diver 1977: No BC, buddy breathing taught for OOA because octopuses were not yet in vogue. Routinely diving to 100+ feet.

In 1984, my wallet was stolen and my replacement card read "Alternate Air Source Required." I pretty much ignored this and continued to dive my way. The card was just to get air fills, anyway. But more changes were on the way and by 1992, more restrictions had been added.

Now, as I understand it, a Basic Scuba Diver cannot dive without a DM or instructor present.

In 1992, the OW was pretty much like the Basic Scuba of the '70s and I was happy once more.

I quit diving in 1996 (for various reasons) and only recently got back into it, only to learn that the OW rating has accrued some restrictions (like max depth) and it seems I am going to have to go for AOW just to stay where I've been since 1965. This wouldn't be worrisome but I am considering going on some dive charters and I don't want to be limited to current OW parameters.

Another thing, I guess I'm gonna have to start keeping a log book. I have never logged my dives because I didn't think it important. But recently I was told that some charters will not allow a diver to dive without a log book with recent dives logged or require that such a diver take a refresher course before going on a charter. Even if I did have a log book, 90% of my logged dives would be marked "solo." I'm sure I would get a few raised eyebrows over that. It seems I just don't fit the mold that modern divers are being cast from.

It kind of rankles a little bit, but I guess I'm gonna have to make a few changes if I want to infiltrate the modern dive scene. Or, at least, pretend to.

BTW, what the heck is a "Master Scuba Diver" and what do you do to get the card? I've heard that it is meaningless and if this is true, then what is the point?

Now, as I understand it, a Basic Scuba Diver cannot dive without a DM or instructor present.
Where I dive, OW grads are expected to be able to plan and execute their own dives. Even the dive charters here don't put DM's in the water with ya. They'll give you a briefing and tell you to go have fun.

Another thing, I guess I'm gonna have to start keeping a log book. I have never logged my dives because I didn't think it important. But recently I was told that some charters will not allow a diver to dive without a log book with recent dives logged or require that such a diver take a refresher course before going on a charter. Even if I did have a log book, 90% of my logged dives would be marked "solo." I'm sure I would get a few raised eyebrows over that. It seems I just don't fit the mold that modern divers are being cast from.
I started diving in 2001, have logged almost 2,400 dives since then in various parts of the world, and have never ... not once ... been asked to produce my logbook.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was looking on the web at a couple of places in South Carolina and the dive sites they go to. According to their lists, any dive over 60 feet requires an AOW. I'm just thinking that the AOW might insure things go a bit smoother in case I encounter an anal charter company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom