Caribe Blue and Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM:
Did Jorge show you the seahorse on Tunich?

No. We had a group with us this trip, and as such had two boats. Jorge dove with the more experienced group (my husband, who was the other instructor on the trip, went with them) and I had some OW students so dove with the other boat. We stayed for a couple of weeks after the group left and did dive with J at that point, but we did not dive Tunich together.

It is a lifelong dream to one day show Jorge a seahorse at [insert dive site here]. I have almost got him to come around to my way of thinking re chun chakaab - it's almost his favourite. :)

kari

underachiever:
Are there english speaking channels on the TV's at the Cariblu?

Just wondering. Hope to not have enough time to watch.

Yes, cable. Lots of english.

Karibelle:
I have almost got him to come around to my way of thinking re chun chakaab - it's almost his favourite. :)

kari

I've hauled him to that site a few times when it was my "turn" to pick a dive site. I love that site. Best dived on nitrox.

Our best dives this trip would have to be Palancar Caves .... the swim-thrus were gorgous, and I love the towering formations. Also the dive over at Las Tortugas - not as scenic as there's not much in the way of coral, but then having turtles pop up everywhere you look is pretty cool ....

We didn't get a chance to do Chun-Chacaab this trip, but did it last time with Jorge and it too is one of our top dives, since it's so different from any other dive spot on Coz. (This also seemed to be one of the areas least affected by the hurricane.) We hit it on a day where there was literally no current and we had a really long relaxing dive.

Hey guys how deep would you say you should be comfortable diving to dive in Cozumel?

We did about 100ft in Bahamas but we were def outside our comfort level. We are wanting to stick around 50 and less. Is there still some good Diving with Blue Angel in that range?

We only have about 20 dives and will be diving with them in July.

scrapdizzy:
Hey guys how deep would you say you should be comfortable diving to dive in Cozumel?

We did about 100ft in Bahamas but we were def outside our comfort level. We are wanting to stick around 50 and less. Is there still some good Diving with Blue Angel in that range?

We only have about 20 dives and will be diving with them in July.

It really depends on who is on the boat with you, since BA selects dive destinations by consensus of the divers aboard. They may be able to group you with a boatload of other new divers who wouldn't mind staying shallow, but that really depends on the customers they have that day. The only way to ensure only shallow diving for yourself is to hire a private DM to stay with you.

Some will tell you that you can just not go as deep as the rest of the group, but IMO that is bad advice. On some dives the top of the reef is deeper than 50 feet, so you'd just be hanging in blue water, and on drift dives (which all or nearly all Coz dives are) the current generally runs faster up over the reef than down next to it, so you'd likely get swept away from the group.

That said, my first dives after certification were at Cozumel, and after a couple of days I was comfortably diving to 80 feet.

scrapdizzy:
But the colors! I love all those beautiful colors up around 20-40 feet.

Granted, and there are some spots around Cozumel that are that shallow and weren't hit too hard by Hurricane Wilma - most notably Colombia Shallows down at the south end - but these dives are normally done as second dives after an 80-100 foot first dive.

ggunn:
Granted, and there are some spots around Cozumel that are that shallow and weren't hit too hard by Hurricane Wilma - most notably Colombia Shallows down at the south end - but these dives are normally done as second dives after an 80-100 foot first dive.

I only dove 100ft once and all I remember was how dark it was. It had a 6500ft dropoff too, it was pretty cool.

You guys diving with Lights?

scrapdizzy:
I only dove 100ft once and all I remember was how dark it was. It had a 6500ft dropoff too, it was pretty cool.

You guys diving with Lights?

I always take a light, but it's not that dark at 100 ft when you're diving Cozumel. The water is very clear. I remember coming out of a swimthrough on Palancar Reef at about 80 feet, looking up, and being able to clearly read the name painted on the side of the boat we were diving from.

Back
Top Bottom