Cathy Church Photo Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me an acolyte because she taught me everything I know. I took one of her super courses years and years ago and occasionally travel with her. Some people don't care for her personality, as catherine points out, she can be a little crabby. I think she's just very opinionated.
However, she's a very good teacher and it's her long long teaching history (not just u/w photography but biology too) that puts her above many many others. She may not have the artistic talent of other photogs but she can teach. Ask a lot of questions and take a lot of photos. Before booking, ask if she's doing the course or one of her assistants. She's getting on in years and when I was diving with her in April she was having several physical problems and was again talking about taking it easy.

_Bella_:
Call me an acolyte.

Well, if you're Cathy's acolyte, that makes me Mike V's neophyte.:D

Bella, thanks for the insight. That has been my impression. That she knows how to teach and is very efficient and experienced. I should not have said she was crabby exactly, since I don't know her really. The hurricane she endured would make anybody grumpy. They were pretty wiped out she told me. She is probably very left brain.

Gotta love that clear Cayman water for nice WA.

Sorry, I meant nemesis. I need a decent nemesis at the moment - life's a bit dull.

Mike Veitch:
i really have to start charging a lot more....

i charge $150 for a two day course, typically about 4 hours or more theory as well as 2 dives i accompany the student....

MAN! i am too cheap..

changing my price now....

:D

Noooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I like you cheap! :)

Wow, after reading all the posts here (which seem off base for the most part) I really have to chime in since Jinjer and I just got back from staying at the Sunset House and spent several hours over days with Cathy, Kat, and the rest of the group there.

First, let me say, we have been on two trips to the Caymans this year (June and then August/Sept) and both times I spent time with Cathy. Over those two trips, I probably spent (on the clock) over 20 hours with Cathy in a one on one basis. Besides those "teaching" hours, I have spent time there in their store and at dinner and in ALL my time I wouldn't characterize her as "grumpy" or "grouchy".

Cathy is one of the nicest people and is VERY fun to be around. She loves what she does and really has a true excitement in seeing you develop your skills. I have been on 5 dives with her specifically where she was my "teaching buddy" and she is like diving with a divemaster who also knows a TON about taking great pictures. She breaths like a fish. After an hour dive, she can have 1500psi left and I am sucking the tank inside out so she can stay down as long as you can (use Nitrox for maximum benefit). She communicates very effectively with her "doodle pad" and gestures. She even talks through her reg in a fairly understandable way :D. She also poses for you on some shots so you can practice shooting your buddy.

picture-21.jpg

In the time I spent with Cathy, I learned more than I ever could from a book and trial and error. Even in one session, you can learn more than you could in years on your own. The reason I use session is, you better just plan on 3 hours or so per session (at $125/hr). You will have the pre-dive setup of the camera and her working with you and your settings so you better understand your camera's capabilities. You have the dive of course, and then the post-dive review and critique. Most of the time, I spent about 4 hours per session (I like to talk about a picture longer :wink: ). So, plan on $375 to $500 for a private session with Cathy.

Jinjer (my wife) worked with Kat who is also VERY good and will do all the same things as Cathy for $60/hr.

I guess the fact that we spent so much time and $$$ there should speak for itself. We never found them to be rude, grumpy, grouchy, or anything other than helpful and VERY enjoyable to be around. We went to dinner with Kat a couple of times and Cathy and Herb were at dinner with us a night also. I suppose if you are the personality that is cocky and thinks they "know it all", then you might bump heads with her because she is not affraid to say what she thinks and knows. I have found her very open to ideas when she isn't sure of something and she realizes and admits its a constent learning process. I am very similar to her personality (other than she is FAR more cheery than me :D ). She is always smiling and runs around like a 20 year old yet she is around 60.

At some point (not in the too distant future) I know she plans on retiring and in fact Ivan delayed that to some degree because it destroyed some rental property she had for income. So take the opportunity to work with her if you can, I sure will. In fact I am planning on getting down there again either this year or first of next year.

Great post Rich.. thanks for the insight...

Sounds like they do a great job and you learn a lot, which is of course the big thing.

and i still need to raise my prices... :D

Mike Veitch:
Great post Rich.. thanks for the insight...

Sounds like they do a great job and you learn a lot, which is of course the big thing.

and i still need to raise my prices... :D

We like you cheap Mike, hehe, maybe ask for some bottles of Crown Royal as part of your hourly fee...... :D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom