Cathy Church Photo Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver:
We like you cheap Mike, hehe, maybe ask for some bottles of Crown Royal as part of your hourly fee...... :D:D
Gotta admire the man, Jam...He was nursing a cold and starting to lose his voice (in the Anilao Leg) and yet he continued on to teach (and still did some dives). He's a real pro.

Pretty sure Cathy is one hell of a pro too.

I totally agree with everything Rich said about working with Cathy Church and her group.

I was very impressed with Cathy, not only with her knowledge and abilities, but also with how generous she is with her knowledge and her eagerness to ensure that all students get the desired results. I don't know where anyone got the impression that she is grouchy, because I never saw any indication of that, and as he mentioned we spent a lot of time with her.

As he mentioned, Rich worked with Cathy during our trip and I worked with Kat, who was also very good. Even though I was not working with Cathy directly, she was always concerned with my results after each dive. It is incredible how much my abilities improved after working with them.

So Pitdvr, as Rich said it is definitely worth your time/money to work with Cathy while you are staying at Sunset House. But I suggest that you plan to spend more than an hour to make the best of your time. You want the setup time, dive, and than post dive discussion, which requires more than one hour.

I would highly recommend Cathy Church to anyone traveling to the Cayman Islands. If you decide to work with one of her other people, you will also be very happy with the results.

I can't wait until we get back down to the Cayman Islands to work with Cathy, Kat, and the rest of the group more. Hopefully we will be able to get back in the next few months.

I've spoken with her before and never got a grouchy or grumpy attitude from her. I took a strobe seminar from her at BTS and then talked with her after staying at Sunset House. Will be back in Dec and hope to see her again.

Thank you everyone for all of the valuable information. I shared this information with my husband and he said 'That sounds like a good anniversary gift for you." I have already emailed Cathy.
I am so glad to have this forum to check things out.

An Update on Cathy Church Photo class~Thank you everyone for the information and clarification on her classes. I ended up doing two dives and about 3 hours or so of individual classroom work. Most of the classroom work was with Cathy. She was unable to dive (due to a back injury)for our first scheduled session. My alternative teacher, Lara, turned out to be an added bonus. I went to the class room session with some idea of my needs and samples of recent photos. Cathy had technical information on my camera prepared so there was no time wasted fumbling with settings. She knew which strobe might be best for me to try. Cathy even had me get back in the water after our dive with a new weighting configuration to make sure it would work for me. There are/have been perhaps many great photographers, mathematicians, writers etc., but it a special person who can convey that information to students in an understandable respectful and exciting manner. Cathy is such a person! Each of her staff also adds something special to the experience. I walked into her shop confused and feel that I walked out a photographer. The experience was "priceless"

pitdvr:
An Update on Cathy Church Photo class~Thank you everyone for the information and clarification on her classes. I ended up doing two dives and about 3 hours or so of individual classroom work. Most of the classroom work was with Cathy. She was unable to dive (due to a back injury)for our first scheduled session. My alternative teacher, Lara, turned out to be an added bonus. I went to the class room session with some idea of my needs and samples of recent photos. Cathy had technical information on my camera prepared so there was no time wasted fumbling with settings. She knew which strobe might be best for me to try. Cathy even had me get back in the water after our dive with a new weighting configuration to make sure it would work for me. There are/have been perhaps many great photographers, mathematicians, writers etc., but it a special person who can convey that information to students in an understandable respectful and exciting manner. Cathy is such a person! Each of her staff also adds something special to the experience. I walked into her shop confused and feel that I walked out a photographer. The experience was "priceless"

That is great! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time there as we have. They really do a great job and conveying information seems to be very natural for them.

We are acutally going down the first week in June and we have Cathy's new boat rented for a couple of full days with her. She has this custom 30' boat that up to 2 divers and Cathy go out on and you can dive to your computer limits (unlimited dives/tanks). The boat has an air conditioned area and a computer so you can check out the pictures you are taking and make adjustments during your surface intervals. Should be a great experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom