Cave dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver in simple terms why isn't a dive like this suitable to get a taste of cave diving? (ignoring the specific issues the OP experienced)
In not having a go here I just genuinely don't know. Cave and wreck diving are areas I'd like to see if I enjoy but if its not then it would be an awfull waste of specific training (and the associated costs). I had concidered a similar senario type dive as the next step from the very limited overhead experience I've had so far --short swimthrough or overhang

OMG just watched your link to "911". How scary. I feel sick watching that. There was one experienced diver to each person but I have new respect for mines and caves and cold water. Thank you for your input. I am going to call the number now.

Kazbanz,... Whether a guided dive or not, unless it is being lead by a trained, professional cave guide &/or instructor,there is no immediate access to the surface in the event of an emergency. These professionals are trained to handle emergencies in these environments,... but even that is no guarantee. What if you find yourself in an overhead environment & suddenly become overwhelmingly claustrophobic & need to get out immediately? You can't just go up. What if there is suddenly a loss of air supply that also stirs up silt/ sediment & wipes out all visibility? There are a million "what if's". These professionals are trained to handle these situations. If you have an interest in possibly cave diving, start out with a cavern course. They are typically inexpensive & can be done in slightly modified recreational equipment, yet you are always in sight of natural daylight & never more than 130 linear ft from the surface. Cavern gives you this "little taste" of the overhead environment with some basic skills taught (guidelines, buoyancy control, anti silting techniques,.... the list goes on). As I stated earlier, there are various levels of cave diving that go in progressive steps, you can stop anytime you want when you feel it may be too much.

When you say "flu symptoms", what do you mean? Achy all over? Fever? Cough? Vomiting? All of these have different implications.

Hypothermia is not anything to trifle with. It impedes thinking and slows reactions, and makes you clumsy. Shivering takes an enormous amount of energy, causing severe fatigue, and often muscle soreness afterwards (from the high-intensity, uncoordinated muscle activity that is trying to keep you warm). Hypothermia is NOT a risk factor for viral illness; that has been investigated and shown not to be the case. Hypothermia is, however, a risk factor for DCS. I am not familiar with the Bonne Terre mine profiles, but would assume newer divers would be kept shallow in the mine.

There are a number of overhead dives that are commonly done with divers without overhead training. These range from the Cathedrals in Lanai, to the cenotes in Mexico, and Bonne Terre mine. Almost all the reports I read from the Cathedral and the cenotes are positive, except for the very few people who don't care for one or the other. But I have read several reports of diving in the mine that are really negative. It's cold and very dark, and the way the dives are run seems to be set up to stress divers. It's not a dive I would have recommended to someone with less than 24 dives in his logbook.

OMG just watched your link to "911". How scary. I feel sick watching that. There was one experienced diver to each person but I have new respect for mines and caves and cold water. Thank you for your input. I am going to call the number now.

It is not to say that one can not learn to cave dive with a controllable & acceptable degree of risk. That is what the training helps to do. I only said what I did out of concern & with the knowledge of my near miss. If the caves still interest you, try to get good training to understand all the "what if's" & how to deal with them.

I feel just achy with mild hot cold sweats from time to time. Just feel blah. No vomiting or repiratory issues. Just called DAN and they said it could be lingering effects of hypothermia and might last 24-48 hrs. Thank all of you for your insight and time. This is a wonderfull sight. I really love diving but obviously have allot to learn.

you should have drank alot of water a bit before each dive, so you can warm youself up during the dive

CGCHRN -Im not a lot more experienced than you are in Scuba. But I have had training in dealing with hypothermia.One issue is that your thinking gets muddled.Your ability to make inteligent decisions is greatly reduced. In my limited experience THAT was the greatest danger you were in on dive 3.

Bonne Terre is NOT an overhead environment. It is 65f so 5-7mm is adequate. The issue is poorly fitting exposure protection.

I am unclear if this is an issue with crappy gear, or folks who don't know how to size, but exposure suits fit tight! If you have room in the suit its too loose. It should be skin tight without being uncomfortable.

If this gear is old, maybe rent local. I think exposure suits are $10 a day, well worth your comfort and health. Heck I notice Bonne Terre charges $20 a day, so those suits best be in Great shape, and fit right... but apparently not.

For those who are going off about newbies doing Cave that is not the case here. Bonne Terre is fine for new Divers with an abundance of guides to ensure safety. Think of it as a very well guided night dive in 65F water.

Back
Top Bottom