Cave dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to diving in a herd and having little to no part in the planning of the dive.

Yeah, I don't love the concept of diving in an environment were you have no control of where you go, how long it will take, how deep, etc. But if you want to dive there, that is the only option...strictly guided.

Ahh -- I had not realized that the passages were only partially flooded, and that surfacing was an option.

Bonne Terre is NOT an overhead environment. It is 65f so 5-7mm is adequate. The issue is poorly fitting exposure protection.

For those who are going off about newbies doing Cave that is not the case here. Bonne Terre is fine for new Divers with an abundance of guides to ensure safety. Think of it as a very well guided night dive in 65F water.

If you read the first post, you can not gather that from the info given. Once CGCHRN explained the situation, I backed off, other than answering a question I was asked. I have never dove Bonne Terre (don't really know if I would like to). If you like diving there, that's wonderful. To each their own, IMO. I enjoy types of diving that may not appeal to others. If I offended anyone in any manner, it was unintentional & I apologize. I realize that this area is a "no flame area" & was trying to get a point across without being offensive. I was not "going off" as you call it. Only trying to warn of the potential dangers that newer divers may not be aware of. Once again, if I have offended anyone please accept my humble apology.

One comment I'd make. If someone told me that I couldn't take with me a part of my safety equipment into a site I diddn't know then I guess I'd be asking for a refund. I apreciate the reasoning behind the rule but I wouldn't do a day dive without my torch in my BC so sure as heck I aint doing any other kind of dive without it.

I'm quite sure the reason divers are forbidden lights is the same reason that people without cave certs are not permitted them at Ginnie Springs -- to keep ambitious idiots from wandering off into places they aren't supposed to be, just because they can. However, at Ginnie, the rule serves to keep people OUT of the dark parts. In Bonne Terre, are there lights along the guided route? If so, the "no dive lights" rule is to keep people diving that lighted route. Of course, in the event of a power failure, there are going to be a bunch of OW divers in a world of hurt . . .

Back
Top Bottom