Cave Trip 8-8 & 8-9-9 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Early reports for some of the Wakulla dive sites were extremely promising a week previous to our departure and subsequent dive trip. Unfortunatley, the rains we got regularly every afternoon ended up affecting the systems in a negative way and reports mid-week weren't so great. The saturday of our weekend originally started off to jump on a boat with rox@ucf. He had messaged a group of divers, trying to find interest in splitting costs on one of Edd's pontoon boats for a day of diving the Mill Pond. This usually goes one of two ways. Nobody is interested, or too many people are interested. On this particular occassion, the later was true and GlenFWB and I opted out of the boat trip and planned to either take the Miss Jellyfish out on the pond, or just continue on to Wakulla(previous to reports of it being less diver friendly). We opted out of taking my boat, since it was an added hassle and I had already taken it out once that week.

Saturday rolled around and I met up with GlenFWB at the Wilcox Exit, just west of the Florida border a little before 7AM. This is actually a bit of a late start of a cave trip, but we weren't on any time frame and at this point, unsure of even where were were going to dive. We hit up Cave Adventurers for fills and ran into Kevin Carlisle, who was heading to Jackson Blue for a dive. DiveAholic was also heading to JB to teach an Intro Cave class. Kenny P was out there with a fresh set of Cavern students and I believe HappyHacker was shadowing their dives? Gregg Stanton was out there with some cavern students, including DogHouseDiver. We also ran into Cwick and his brother, who'd be diving on the boat with rox@ucf, Litehedded, and a couple other divers. At this point, the Mill Pond was looking pretty busy, but we figured we'd go ahead and knock a dive out at Jackson Blue since we were here and it was atleast a sure thing.

Jackson Blue Springs 8-8-9

We headed into the gates at Jackson Blue with swimmers already lining up at the entry kiosk. We showed our passes and drove on through, waving at the line of vehicles sitting idle. Onsite, we ran into Rotor60Driver and one of his buddies, finishing up a dive. Kevin Carlisle would be joining GlenFWB and me for our dive into the cave. We geared up as quickly as possible to escape the rising heat and swarms of gnats, the water was cool, clear and quite refreshing. I volunteered to run the line(using Kevin's primary) and GlenFWB would take the lead at the goldline as the newest caver of the bunch. After a quick hiccup with a light, we were zipping down the cavern and enjoying a very noticable LACK of flow. While the flow was present, at no point was it necessary to make contact to the cave to progress as far as we penetrated(~750'p). I made sure to zig-zag the primary line a bit, don't want to make it too easy for the 3 classes being held onsite! Visibility was plenty good at around 60', with ever so slight of a haze. We pushed on to the second breakdown where Glen had hit 1/6ths and the dive was turned. The flow was gentle and it was actually necessary to kick on occassion to aid in returning to our exit point. Once back in the cavern, we were treated to a light show of two of the classes entering into the system. Its always kinda fun to sit back in the shadows and watch the classes, it wasn't that long ago when we were all part of one. Kevin would be diving all day here, so we left the primary in place and made our exit. After a quick safety stop on the ledge, and a little bit of spidermanning on the ceiling, we exitted after a 40 minute dive, hitting a max depth of 96'. Great dive to start the weekend!

We hit up Edd's once more to top our tanks off and eat some sandwiches. Have I mentioned how much Glen's wife rocks? Always a feast on a dive trip with GlenFWB! We left Kevin, who I believe ended up buddying back up with Rotor60Driver for some more diving, and headed East, to Wakulla. We crossed a few afternoon thunderstorms and for the rest of the day continued through hit and miss showers.

Wakulla and Leon County sites 8-8-9

Our first destination was a tract of Nat'l Forest land that contained P&G Sinks as well as several others along an extremely long length of cave system that stretches of Leon and Wakulla Counties, likely connecting as far South as the Gulf of Mexico. We made the walk from the closest public access in order to evaluate conditions. As WCDC members, we actually have closer access, but reserve that right for the actual diving since we end up paying the land owner in return for the closer access. The rains had cooled the temperatures quite a bit, so the walk was comfortable. The first sink we came across was pretty smokey and tannic. This sink was offset, so not necessarily the best indication of the rest of the system, despite being connected. Once we found ourselves at a few of the sinks further downstream, it was confirmed that the sinks in this area weren't in the best shape. There was enough tannic water to cut visibility down to less than 10'. It wasn't as dark of a tannic stain as our previous visit(flooded then too), but still plenty enough to keep us from being able to enjoy the sites and scenes we dive caves to view. There was also a new tree strewn across our preffered entry point.

Woods730.jpg

Promise748.jpg

By this point, BGillespie had gotten off of work and had driven down to meet us at P Sink. From there, we made the walk(maybe 1/2 mile or a bit more) to the next sink downstream. I had never been here and it was neat to see another window into this system. This sink was also quite large.

UpperRiver755.jpg

After walking back to our cars, we made our way further south to check on conditions at a spring in the same county. The 8 sites we had already visited were sinkholes and get affected by local rainfall quickly and easily. The spring we visited in the afternoon was different as the water seemed to discharge from deeper in the aquiffer and not as affected by the local rainfall, atleast not as quickly. The slough was clear, despite having a green tint to it. BGillespie had dived the spring previously and they had used a canoe to traverse the run to the springhead, which wasn't far off. It was definately within walking distance, but there was a tremendous amount of vegatation between our entry and our destination that didn't seem to make the watery hike a fun one... especially while carrying cave gear. We hadn't been able to round up a canoe for today, so decided to consider this dive for Sunday. We had the options of either heading to Jackson Blue again or heading east to dive Madison Blue Springs with another group on Sunday as well. We zipped down south to St. Marks to pick up some tanks Jmaddox had left for DogHouseDiver. There seems to be a turf war going on in his yard between a group of guinea and group of roosters.

Our next site was another sinkhole in south Wakulla. This particular sinkhole nearly always looks like crap from the surface, but in the past has proven a great dive, even when everything else in the area was blown out. The water levels were definately up, and recent reports weren't promising(but often aren't despite sometimes great conditions). BGillespie had free dived into the sink a few days earlier, and while there was a clearish layer up top, he found a funky layer down to 15-20' with very little visibility. After considering a few things, including the higher water levels, I decided to mask up and superman a tank into the basin with a light strapped to it to see how conditions were a little deeper. My powersnorkel broke me free under the funky area and into cooler and noticably clearer water. It was inky, but clean with seemingly 20-30' visibility and only a slight tannic intrusion giving it a yellowish tint. It was getting dark and we were hungry, so we figured we'd save this one for Sunday as well. El Jalisco is our favorite joint in south Wakulla and we enjoyed some awesome mexican food. DogHouseDiver and his buddy met up with us after we finished up to pick up the tanks, then they headed over to Wakulla Diving Center to rig the tanks up and finish up with their first day of Cavern class.

We headed north to Leon County to check out another sink, likely linked to the same stretch of sinks we visited earlier in the day. This sink was further north and I had never been there previously. The ride out to it was fun, BGillespie nearly managed to get his Caprice wagon(aka Ecto 1) airborn. We made it to the sink in no time to find a small grouping of trees that distracted you from an incredibly sizable depression. The thing just seemed to keep dropping the further you went down. At the bottom was a semi-clear, smokey, little puddle of tannic water, that apparently has cave in it. There was limestone peaking out from different points of the depression and several bullfrogs voiced there dissapproval for our intrusion before plunging into the water. Really interesting site, but we aren't diving it this trip. Still very cool to find new places to dive for future expeditions.

We crashed at BGillespie's place and watched a couple cave diving video's before hitting sofas/beds for some needed sleep. Many jokes were made at the videos expense.

Wakulla and Leon County sites 8-9-9

I think everyone was up and about again by around 8AM, it was a lazy start, but we weren't on any time frame since we had decided to stick around this area. A few eats and drinks as well as a stop at a gas station on the way, and we hit up the sink hole we visited the day before in south Wakulla. One of the cave agencies had donated a Grip Reaper sign to the WCDC to use at this sink, so we planned to go ahead and install it on this dive. After GlenFWB battled his insides for a bit, boobytrapping the outskirts of the trail, we geared up and hit the water. Once at the descent line, visibility seemed pretty decent at 25' of depth. We descended to around 70' where one of many cave lines reaches out to the descent line and our group leveled off to stop our descent. The visibility at this point had dropped a bit and heavier tannic intrusion was quite evident. Glen's wing started giving him issues and bubbles were leaking out from the wing's shell. He dropped down a bit and I dove down and grabbed him by the back and layed on my inflator. Once back at 70' he tried to see if he could control the wing and stay neutral, unfortunately the wing had developed too bad of a leak and we had to ascend back to the surface. Once Glen was back at the entry and safely on the surface, I joined BGillespie back at 15' and we continued back down to 70'. At our cave line, we continued into the overhead. Visibility was at best an extremely dark 10' with areas noticably smokier with 5' visibility. Our lights were filtered dark red through the heavily tannic water. Once at the "T" in the beginning of the cave, BGillespie installed the warning sign and we pretty much just turned the dive right there. I had hit a max depth of 87' for a total dive time of 34 minutes. It wasn't the dive we were hoping for, but atleast we were able to accomplish something(installing the sign) and are able to report conditions in the beginning of the cave(far better than judging from the surface).

Harveys784.jpg

After getting this dive finished up, we figured we'd head over to our best bet of the area and visit the spring we checked in on the previous afternoon. The water seemed slightly higher, and maybe slightly more green, but still clear and it was obviously our best option for a dive in clearer water.

McB759.jpg

After a bit of discussion, we decided against trying to find a canoe and just romp on through the slough, vegatation and all. This is supposed to be an adventure right? It didn't take us long to get our gear to the water, and get geared up. The slough was shallow and rocky, with the occassional rogue submerged log to trip you up along the way. I have old, worn out, soft soled booties, so traveling over these rocks with the weight of heavy steels was putting a hurt on my feet. The plantlife was annoying, but I was just hoping it didn't act as a hiding spot for any large gators or poisonous snakes. Eventually, I got my fat butt to the spring basin. Glen played as surface support as well as photographer. BGillespie led the dive, as he's dived the site once before and knew where to find the line. The basin was pretty, the flow wasn't evident from the surface in the form of a boil, but it was apparently strong enough to keep the lillies and other aquatic plantlife away from it. There was a neat little double vent leading down and a log crossing over it. The water was nice and clear too!

BGillespie led the way with me following closely behind. There wasn't much flow in this cave and the silt was piled up on the floor thanks to the lack of flow. While it wasn't necessarily small cave, and very much backmountable, you had to be carefull as it did wind around quite a bit as well as drop and raise on several chimney type areas and breakdown room. The limestone was pure white and filled with marine fossils. Lots of cragly formations and side leads could be spotted. There were occassionally darker rocks protruding from the wall. Truly a beautiful cave and will definately find me making return trips in the future. It was quite different from the other sites I've dived in Wakulla. We penetrated about 900'p before BGillespie turned the dive and we started our exit. Percolation from our exhaust cut visibility down to half or worse of our start, but we still had plenty of light to make a clean exit. Once back on the surface, we dropped back down into the first 30' of cave or so to get some video with GlenFWB's camera. It was a great dive and definatey the highlight of the weekend! Had a max depth of 71' for a dive time of 58 minutes.

As we were gearing up, a couple more divers showed up, apparently looking to dive the spring. They were some WKPP members and after telling them the only public access to the spring was through the slough, they figured they would ask the land owners for access. We let them know the land was a private hunting camp and the land owners weren't onsite, and the WKPP divers were relieved and jumped the fence onto private property to check out the site. This made me quite angry as WCDC has been working to improve land owner relations in the area to open up more sites to cave divers, while diver's like these two WKPP people clearly ignore posted signs and tresspassed onto private property. This does not bode well for cave divers nor should the WKPP allow this kind of behavior.

From here, we headed north again and found ourselves back at El Jalisco for some more mexican grub. Satisfied, we headed further north again, nearly to the county line between Leon and Wakulla county to visit two sinks that are across the road from each other.

Emerald789.jpg

Cheryl794.jpg

After a quick look at those two sinks, we headed north to the sink we visited the previous afternoon to get some daylight shots of that particular sink. GlenFWB drove this time around and I don't think the tires ever left the ground. Its a great looking sink, too bad it was all mucked up at the bottom. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do the sink justice on how dramatic the depression is.

Trog807.jpg

After this sink, I piled my gear into BGillespie's wagon and we parted ways with GlenFWB. He headed back to FWB and I would just catch a ride back to Alabama with DogHouseDiver, who was finishing up his second day of cavern class at Ginnie Springs. They ended up doing 3 dives at JB and 4 at Ginnie. We talked cave diving on the entire drive back to Pensacola to drop off Paul(toasted the weekend's dives at Paul's place), then back to my house in Alabama. It was around 1:30AM when I walked up to my front porch. I was pretty exhausted, but the weekend went very well and we had some great dives!

Mat I enjoyed the dive with you and Glen. Had a few more before the weekend was up. Always a good time with good dive buddies. I will say it was interesting pulling my reel out after Mat ran it LOL. My partner Shawn was going left and right all the way to the upper room LOL. Glen thanks again for the lunch, it hit the spot.

Kevin, it was good seeing you....but better diving with you! Sure was nice with the low flow at JB. No problem on the lunch. Like Mat said, the wife really packs a lot of food for our weekend excursions....we don't ever go hungry.

I can say from personal experience that if you are doing an Intro. class, and Bugman runs a reel in before you, it will be a real pita trying to find good places to tie off!!:D

Mat I enjoyed the dive with you and Glen. Had a few more before the weekend was up. Always a good time with good dive buddies. I will say it was interesting pulling my reel out after Mat ran it LOL. My partner Shawn was going left and right all the way to the upper room LOL. Glen thanks again for the lunch, it hit the spot.

Glad y'all had fun! I am seriously hoping that the flow is still down at JB in two weeks when I can make it back down again.

Here are a few pictures from last weekends sink dives. I didn't break out the camera at Jackson Blue. I literally have hundreds of pictures from JB, so I left the camera in the van and enjoyed the low flow that JB offered.

Our first dive on Sunday started off slow...Bugman found a nice way of saying that I had some stomach issues that forced me to head to the woods. Thank goodness my wife always packs an emergency bag....with T.P.! :D After all that, I geared up and then had a wing failure. My Nomad wing developed a serious leak around where the bladder and the inflator meet. I have to call Dive Rite tomorrow about the problem. We later decided that my intestines where warning us about the type of dive we would have at this location.

The first picture shows that not all sinks are pristine all the time. One thing cave diving has taught me, is the importance of preserving our water resources. This sink had a pretty bad film of oil on top of it.

oileyharvey.jpg

Our next dive required really good bouyancy, so I knew my leaking Nomad wing was not going to allow me to dive this cave. So, I decided to provide ground support, and spend some time taking pictures. I had a great time taking pictures and just enjoying the peace and quiet of this beautiful spring. I have some video to post later of this trip.

Not a typical entry point for a spring: Taken on an overpass above the entry point.
takenfrombridge.jpg

This view shows the direction we would need to head to find the spring
frombridge.jpg

beginningofdive.jpg

beninlilys.jpg

I would lead the way since I didn't have all the tanks to carry. I pushed through the lilies while being directed by Ben. Every lily had a spider web stretched across it. I can't count how many banana and wolf (?) spiders we pushed through on our way to the sink.

Bugman looks like he is asking God for a shorter route to this beautiful spring:
matlookingup.jpg

Bugman was about 20 yards behind me. He hollered that he hoped the spring was worth the effort. When I rounded the corner of the trees and saw the beautiful spring basin, I hollered back, it is worth the effort....keep coming!

basinmc.jpg

openingandspring.jpg

cavemcbest.jpg

cavemc.jpg

caveandlog.jpg

More Pictures in next message.....

Great photos Glen, really shows how much work is required to dive some of these places :D

Here are a few pictures I took while Bugman and Ben were in the cave:

butterflycloseup.jpg

The aquatic plants were gorgeous at this location:
aquaticplants.jpg

underover.jpg

caveentrance.jpg

butterfly2.jpg

Bugman looks upset the dive is over:

seriousbugman.jpg

We finally made it back after our journey:
bridgediving.jpg

Can't wait to go back to this spring. I will post the video of the journey and the cave shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom