Cayman Brac & Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just scheduled a week trip at the Divi in Cayman Brac. I know the reef starts a little on the deeper side and was wondering if it would be better to be Nitrox certified to dive here. Also does anyone know if you have to pay more to use Nitrox at the Divi?

I can't comment on cost but I can say that nitrox was used by a lot of dviers and divemasters at Divi and the Brac Beach Resort.

When I was at the Divi last year there were a number of divers using Nitrox. When we arrived home, my wife and I got Nitrox certified. If I remember correctly it was $8. more for a nitrox tank, but I could be wrong. The diving on the north side of the Brac is where the reef can start a bit deep. When we dove bus stop wall ( saw the flying gunards at 60ft.) the wall started on its way down at 90ft. this would be a perfect area for nitrox. Also there are other areas where the top of the wall is in 60ft., these sites generally are on the north side and your time gets real short when you go over the wall for any length of time, these areas are comparable (somewhat to Bloody Bay). The reef on the south side in front of the Divi and Brac reef start at 30 ft. on the shallow sites. If you're going to dive ( weather can restrict ) the north side of the Brac, it would be advantages to be Nitrox certified.
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :D

Hi, JRR!

It's been a few years since I dove CB, but I seem to remember that Nitrox was ca. $10 per tank more. And, yes, it is worth the effort if you have good bottom times on air.

My suggestion: do your first dive on air and then switch to 32% for the second dive. This will give you lots of bottom time and keep the costs in line.

Have a great time!

Scorpionfish

I did my Nitrox course at Divi Tiara when I was there a few years ago,only took one evening plus a few study hours. Cost was $130 if I remember correctly (may be more now) It was nice to do the course then do the dives the next day.

On Cayman wall dives I normally use Nitrox on the first ~100 foot dive and dive air on the second dive. I feel better afterwards for using the nitrox at depth,dont see the point of using it on shallow ~50 foot dives,prefer to save the cash for the next days deep dive.

We just returned from the Divi (28 Jan) and paid $10.00 per tank whether you use EANx for one or 20 dives.

The tanks are approx 33% and they measure them just before the boat leaves port. The fills average about 3200 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom