Cenote Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a week in Cozumel diving with a Cozumel dive operator doing 2 tank a.m. dives daily. I was able to book a single tank afternoon cenote on the mainland after the morning dives. I had prearranged the cenote dive online and knew I had 2 other divers wanting to go. After the 2 morning dives we taxied into town and had a quick lunch at the Burger King on the Pier. We took the 2p ferry to Playa del Carmen and met the dive operator at the PDC pier. We booked with Dennis at Diablo Divers and he took us from the pier with our gear on a short drive to Chac Mool Cenote in a very comfortable 4 door pickup. We did our dive and returned to the PDC pier in time for the 7p ferry back to Cozumel. We made it back to our hotel in Coz to meet the rest of our dive group for dinner at 8:15p. The excursion to do the afternoon cenote was very well worth it. While we did need to stick to our plan, we did not feel rushed or hurried. I cannot say enough about the professionalism our our operator who gave us a very thorough dive briefing (probably the most thorough I've ever had).

If you have an extra day or two, just make your way to the Playa, then rent a car and head to Tulum. I just did it last week, and it was a breeze. Find a nice place on the beach and then go search out the many dive operators in the town of Tulum. Although Tulum is a bit touristy, it's no where near the "Zoo like" atmosphere of San Miguel in Cozumel. But be sure to get a car and explore the back roads a bit, I did just last week and had a ball. Would have been funner with friends, but even 'solo' was great. PM me if you want some names and places to stay and eat.

Another vote for Dennis (Diablo Divers). I've done Hidden Worlds and used other guides. Dennis has been the best and I'll continue to use him as long I can get a booking. Max of 4 divers and if two or three people book together he will try and keep the day to just you.

If you have the choice, why not go with someone who is on the mainland and does all or most of their diving in the cenotes? If I was staying on the mainland and wanted to dive Cozumel for a day, I would book with a dive operator who dives Cozumel every day vs a mainland shop who comes over once a week.

scubawife:
If you have the choice, why not go with someone who is on the mainland and does all or most of their diving in the cenotes? If I was staying on the mainland and wanted to dive Cozumel for a day, I would book with a dive operator who dives Cozumel every day vs a mainland shop who comes over once a week.

FWIW, Mateo at Blue Angel is an extremely experienced cave diver; he worked with the National Geographic Society mapping the underground cave network under and around Tulum. There's that and the fact that I have made dozens of dives with him, so I know his style and signals well, and he is familiar with my skills. I know him and I trust him; I guess that's why I would (and did) go cenote diving with him. YMMV.

Below is some of the info I have received from Blue Angel. The other Coz dive shops that replied to my questions seem to refer diver to mainland shops, not surprisingly Diablo and Manta seem to be the "go to" ops. Thanks a bunch for the input. Now that we have talked the op question to a pulp, lets get on to the REAL fun part. Which cenotes are your favs? Oh yeah, and we will need at least one more for the cenote dive during our March 3-10th 2007 trip. Anyone interested, please PM me.

B.A.- ... there are 3 divers needed to go - but most the time during the high season this is not hard to find. Here is information on the price and services included.
The cost of a 2 tank trip to the cenotes is $XXX.00 US per person from Playa. Ferry fees from Cozumel to the mainland and back along with equipment (should you need any other than tanks, weights and weight belts) not included and would be additional.

You will have fresh fruit and water on your trip along with transportation to and from Playa and the cenotes, tank fees & cenote entrance fees.

Me- Would we be accompanied by a DM from Blue Angel? I have seen on various discussion boards on the web that Mateo is an accomplished cave/cavern diver. Thanks!

B.A.- Yes it is our Mateo - Matt an American from Chicago, that is our guide for cenote trips.

I dove Dos Ojos, and from what I´ve read, we were taken to one of the best.
My wife and I will be in Coz from March 3-10 as well, but haven´t decided on Cenotes yet. Last time, they were our last dives and it was nice to have the thorough fresh water rinse before our return to WI.

harpua:
B.A.- ... there are 3 divers needed to go - but most the time during the high season this is not hard to find. Here is information on the price and services included.
The cost of a 2 tank trip to the cenotes is $XXX.00 US per person from Playa. Ferry fees from Cozumel to the mainland and back along with equipment (should you need any other than tanks, weights and weight belts) not included and would be additional.

You will have fresh fruit and water on your trip along with transportation to and from Playa and the cenotes, tank fees & cenote entrance fees.
good to know - we are thinking of booking with them for our trip in december and would love to do cenote dives. did she give you times - when you catch the ferry, when you return? and is transportation to/from the ferry to cenotes included? also, did she give any indication of which cenotes they do? from what i have been reading so far, i am thinking i would maybe like to do dos ojos and angelita ...

thelawgoddess:
good to know - we are thinking of booking with them for our trip in december and would love to do cenote dives. did she give you times - when you catch the ferry, when you return? and is transportation to/from the ferry to cenotes included? also, did she give any indication of which cenotes they do? from what i have been reading so far, i am thinking i would maybe like to do dos ojos and angelita ...

The ferry fare is not included. You take (IIRC) the 8 AM ferry; when you return is a play-by-ear. When we did it, we were in no hurry; we went to a beach club after the dives for a meal and cervesas, and we got back to the hotel just before dark. This was May, mind you, and the days were longer.

Mateo has a car on the Playa side to take you to and from the cenotes. We did both dives in different sections of Dos Ojos.

Carwash and Gran Cenote are two of my favorites. Chac Mool and Taj Maha and Ponderosa are also really great dives.

Back
Top Bottom