Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Len

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could someone suggest a good Cozumel dive op that provides or can arrange for a day trip to the mainland for cenote diving. What would be the approx cost, what does this include, what cenotes should be dived, any other info or suggestions you might think useful. Thanks.

Scuba Tony - www.scubatony.com in Coz.
ProTech Playa del Carmen in Playa

Could someone suggest a good Cozumel dive op that provides or can arrange for a day trip to the mainland for cenote diving. What would be the approx cost, what does this include, what cenotes should be dived, any other info or suggestions you might think useful. Thanks.

Blue Angel runs a cenote trip from the island; it's $100 pp, I believe. Matt, the DM is a very experienced cave diver and a great guy; you'll be in very good hands.

Better go soon because the local operators/divers are doing a good job at destroying the formations....

I'll second the recommendation for German Yanez. Don't forget that Coz has some great caves as well! Aerolito is a great treat if you have the certs.

Another option is to just take the ferry over and hook up w/ an op on the mainland. Yucatek Divers (not to be confused w/ German's Yucatech) is within walking distance and they have a great operation. I would ask for Adriaan as a guide.

We did cavern tours with Aldora, who laid on a van and driver on the mainland. But you can very easily also book with a mainland dive op. It is not a big deal to go over on the ferry, and many dive ops will pick you up in Playa del Carmen. Aquanauts (Dennis Weeks) enjoys a superb reputation for running cavern tours. Dennis is a cave instructor as well.

German taught my cavern and Intro classes, and he's a delightful man and I'm sure he does very good tours. I dove Aerolito as a cave dive this last trip, and it's fascinating, but I'm not sure how much cavern there was, and it's quite silty, so you need very good skills to dive it comfortably.

As far as cenotes to see, I think most operators go to a fairly set group of places. Ponderosa has some very nice cavern, as does Taj Maha (with some lovely light effects from the halocline). Grand Cenote has a ton of decorations, and Dos Ojos has some stunning white limestone.

A serious warning . . . You either won't be thrilled with the dives, or you'll be hooked, and if you're hooked, you have an expensive road ahead of you (she says, having just finished Cave 1 and a second week-long trip to Mexico already this year, and planning the third one).

While I will certainly add a vote for German (he was my Cavern, Intro and Full Cave instructor) I'm quite sure he would not agree that he is
by far the most experienced cave guide in the entire Yucatan Peninsula.
After all, the man who was HIS cave instructor, Steve Gerrard, is still diving, teaching and guiding.

In fact, when it is all said and done, my guess is that once you get past a certain point, the difference in the number of dives is pretty much irrelevant. I've done cavern/cave cenote dives with the following and highly recommend all:

German Yanez

Mateo (last name unknown) -- Aldora Divers (German says Mateo is one of his best friends and they have done exploration dives together)

Dennis Weeks -- based in Puerto Aventuras (Pez de Diablo on ScubaBoard)

Danny Riordan -- Zero Gravity (the GUE shop and only guides people who have taken DIR-F (Fundies))

Back
Top Bottom