Certification Levels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Get your OW, then do AOW with Nitrox at the same time. AOW is five "specialty" dives including deep, nav and PPB plus two of your choice. This is all you realy need to get going. Also by then you will have a feel of which way you want to go and how things work. Good luck and dive safe!

Quick correction: PPB is not a required dive for AOW. It's deep + navigation + three of choice (although it's more likely to be the instructor's choice than yours).

If you would have read the whole thread, that had been pointed out and corrected on my part.

biscuit7:
FTR, ppb is not a required dive for AOW through PADI.

There is a lot of good information in many of the specialties, but some of them are crap (take it from a PADI instructor). I wouldn't doubt that you can learn many of the skills from good mentors, but without the assurance that the mentor has the ability to TEACH, you might be better off working with an instructor.

There are a few specialties that I think are essential, and some that are darn good practice and a few that are silly. Nitrox, Drysuit (especially if you may need to rent one), Altitude, Ice, Deep, Wreck, any rebreather, any and all Cavern/Cave are absolutely essential as are any type of extended range/deco/trimix type stuff. The latter are more progressions than specialties, but heed the point. Night, Search and Recovery, DPV, Photography, and PPB all have something to offer from an extended learning aspect if you're interested in any of it. Many of the other stuff like Boat, Underwater Naturalist, Multilevel, etc. can be helpful if you're really unfamiliar with the basics, but I think most divers can probably skip them and be fine.

Personally, I think every diver should endeavor to get through Rescue within the first 50 dives or so. It's the single most useful class you will take and will greatly improve your confidence and you will undoubtedly be a better buddy afterwards.

JMHO.

Rachel

I would agree that many specialties are not necessary. Just depends on how much someone wants the knowledge, I guess. Nitrox and trimix, so you can get the gas without a hassle, and of course cavern/cave are about the only ones I stress personally.

Rescue is a great class, and can be an important confidence-builder for new divers. Are you teaching rescue courses? How will you handle one who, for instance, breaks down sobbing during class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom