Cheap Place in Ontario to do Open water test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alias420:
Aquarius Scuba's openwater at Gulliver's lake is $150 +GST + $85 for equipment (I already have googles, snorkel, fins). Maybe this is already a really good deal I'm not too sure.
So in a 70 degree F pond, max 25 feet deep, you're going to get an OW cert good to 60 feet.

artw:
probably not much different than me taking my Ontario Drivers License exam (both G2 and G) in Bancroft, Ontario (I live on Ottawa)
That's why our highways are such a "joy" to drive on. :eyebrow: To carry the analogy further, teach someone to drive only on nice days in the summer, no rain, no snow, no highway driving. Then give them a license and send them out on the 401 in blowing snow.

alias420:
Aquarius Scuba's openwater at Gulliver's lake is $150 +GST + $85 for equipment (I already have googles, snorkel, fins). Maybe this is already a really good deal I'm not too sure.

Hmm... are you sure you're ready?... I hope you meant mask and not goggles!!

d33ps1x:
Japanese swim goggles! FYI most open water course segments are in the 200-250 range gear in.

You will find that pretty standard. It really comes down to the instructor is all. You want one that isn't a tool and you feel comfortable with.

I know an instructor who will do your checkout dives for a six pack and a pack of smokes! :D

Does anyone actually have any recommendations on a place that is well priced?

GroundHog sounds like you are saying that I should go and do my open water in 15C Stormy Water at 60ft? I think that would be far more dangerous then doing my open water in a pond. To properly use the driving analogy it would be like learning on a nice day and once you are comfortable, try out a rainy day but stay off the highway. Then after you pass your G1 exit test go and try the highway on a nice day but do it with a friend there. The point of a graduated system is to ease you into things. Everyone has to start somewhere.

alias420:
Does anyone actually have any recommendations on a place that is well priced?

GroundHog sounds like you are saying that I should go and do my open water in 15C Stormy Water at 60ft? I think that would be far more dangerous then doing my open water in a pond. To properly use the driving analogy it would be like learning on a nice day and once you are comfortable, try out a rainy day but stay off the highway. Then after you pass your G1 exit test go and try the highway on a nice day but do it with a friend there. The point of a graduated system is to ease you into things. Everyone has to start somewhere.

It would probably be better to learn in harsh conditions under the close supervision of instructors and divemasters. Should anything accure there is an experienced diver right there to help you out versus a less experienced dive buddy who may not know what to do or how to handle the situation. IMHO divers who learn to dive in harsher conditions seem to be more competant divers as they have more obstacles to overcome.

ok... in my reply I did give you an actual recomendation.

I feel your pain though cause a lot of the time on this board you get a lot of BS answers to your questions. Things get off topic around here quite a bit.

If anyone lese wants to recomend a shop or instrucor then do it. Lets not get into a debate but just answer the persons question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom