Cheap Place in Ontario to do Open water test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alias420:
GroundHog sounds like you are saying that I should go and do my open water in 15C Stormy Water at 60ft? I think that would be far more dangerous then doing my open water in a pond.
Not stormy water (even with quite a few dives under my belt, I avoid diving in storms). And for Ontario 15C is downright warm. We dove near Wiarton weekend before last, water was 49F (10C) at 60 feet.

While I agree somewhat with your analogy, doing your OW dives in conditions more similar to where you'll be diving, while being supervised by an instructor makes more sense to me. It'd be great if you did your OW dives at Gullivers or similar, followed by supervised dives in colder deeper waters, but that's not typically what happens. People get certified at Gullivers, then rent gear and head for Toby with an buddy of equal experience (or lack thereof).

I've buddied up with a few divers who certified at Gullivers or similar and now avoid diving with people who have, as I have not the training or patience to deal with them.

There is a "happy point" where you are not dropping students from a pool into a bad day on lake Ontario, but still give them realistic dive conditions such as either cold water, some current, bad viz, etc. etc. I think the point is that you shouldn't coddle your students, they need to be exposed to real dive conditions.

bubblemaker20:
It would probably be better to learn in harsh conditions under the close supervision of instructors and divemasters. Should anything accure there is an experienced diver right there to help you out versus a less experienced dive buddy who may not know what to do or how to handle the situation. IMHO divers who learn to dive in harsher conditions seem to be more competant divers as they have more obstacles to overcome.

Thanx I have contacted Anna from northerntechdiver I think I'll probably do a private open water with her. St Catherines is much closer though so does anyone have a link for matt at Dan's Dive Shop?? Do they have a website or should I just 411 the shop and give them a call?

thanx

alias420:
Thanx I have contacted Anna from northerntechdiver I think I'll probably do a private open water with her. St Catherines is much closer though so does anyone have a link for matt at Dan's Dive Shop?? Do they have a website or should I just 411 the shop and give them a call?

thanx

their phone # is (905) 984-2160 www.dansdiveshop.ca

You could give TAM Dive Peterborough a call.
They're within your 1-2 hr range
705-748-3483

www.tamdivepeterborough.com

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom