Cheap Place in Ontario to do Open water test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x:
Double Tam's. Gotcha. Related?

Thanks.
I think so (family). If I recall the owner of the Toronto store passed away and his wife struggled onfor a bit before shutting down. I 'think' (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) the Peterboroug store owned/run by a son. But financially a separate entity. Before they're closing TAM was a supporter of the OUE club of which I was a member for a while.

""I think so (family). If I recall the owner of the Toronto store passed away and his wife struggled onfor a bit before shutting down. I 'think' (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) the Peterboroug store owned/run by a son. But financially a separate entity. Before they're closing TAM was a supporter of the OUE club of which I was a member for a while.""

Alrighty..........before the rumors mills get cook'n,
TAM Dive Peterborough........is still very much alive and well
TAM Dive Toronto...........closed it's doors, April last year after being in business since 1976
TAM stands for Tom A McCullum (founder)
Tom passed away in 1994 while on a diving holiday out west
Tom's widow sold the store to Mark S, who had been working there pretty much since day one..........
TAM Dive Peterborough became franchised store when I approached Mark S in 1996, when the only dive shop in Peterborough, "the Diving Locker" the owner was looking at retiring at the ripe age of 72.
TAM Dive Peterborough was then born..............
Mark and I went to highschool together, we are not brothers, or cousins, we've known each other for years..........I was a loyal customer to the Toronto strore right from when the doors opened in 1976.
Mark and I both took scuba lessons in Ajax, both were original members of the Ajax scuba club.
I wholely own TAM Dive Peterborough myself.............

back on the original topic...........we would be more then happy to conduct your open waters...........e-mail me privately if you wish, or visit my web site www.tamdivepeterborough.com and drop me a note

john

Thanks for the update John. Any good dive sites out Peterborough way?[/QUOTE]

Since John has cleared up the rumor mill, I'll jump in and give you a couple of the dive sights in the area.

Kirkfield Quarry, a popular O/W sight , about the size of 3-4 football fields, 30 ft max depth silt bottom. There are platforms on oil drums for skills , and descent line. Heres a web link:
http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3422/kirkfield.html

An old airplane (2 seater) was added last year, it's marked with a jug.

Lock 19 ( spring and fall only when Trent Severn Water Way is closed) A good swift drift dive from lock 19 on Lansdowne street to Hwy 115. Takes 1/2 - 3/4 hours. Max depth 20 ft.
It's a brown torrent right now due the the rain storms in the last week

Most popular sight is Burleigh Falls up hwy 28. It is too swift right now, again due to all the rain. Lots of flooding in the area.

Depth 30 ft to 60 ft, This is tanin stained (black) water bring liights. and dive flag, lots of fishing boats, stay out of the channel.

Anstruther Lake, another half hour up hwy 28 past Burleigh Falls.
(A good alternate if Burleigh falls is too swift)
Turn left on Anstruther Lake Rd, drive in 5Km. to marina.
The owners (Donna and Reinhardt) are divers , and welcome others. Bring dive flag, (boat traffic) and lights, also dark water. "A DRY SUIT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED".
The 1st thermo cline is at 25 ft temp about 50°F , the 2nd thermocline is ar 45 ft and its about 42°F all year long.
Interesting.

Regards

Mike D

mddolson:
Kirkfield Quarry, a popular O/W sight , about the size of 3-4 football fields, 30 ft max depth silt bottom. There are platforms on oil drums for skills , and descent line.
An old airplane (2 seater) was added last year, it's marked with a jug.

Lock 19 ( spring and fall only when Trent Severn Water Way is closed) A good swift drift dive from lock 19 on Lansdowne street to Hwy 115. Takes 1/2 - 3/4 hours. Max depth 20 ft.
It's a brown torrent right now due the the rain storms in the last week

Most popular sight is Burleigh Falls up hwy 28. It is too swift right now, again due to all the rain. Lots of flooding in the area.

Depth 30 ft to 60 ft, This is tanin stained (black) water bring liights. and dive flag, lots of fishing boats, stay out of the channel.

Anstruther Lake, another half hour up hwy 28 past Burleigh Falls.
(A good alternate if Burleigh falls is too swift)
Turn left on Anstruther Lake Rd, drive in 5Km. to marina.
The owners (Donna and Reinhardt) are divers , and welcome others. Bring dive flag, (boat traffic) and lights, also dark water. "A DRY SUIT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED".
The 1st thermo cline is at 25 ft temp about 50°F , the 2nd thermocline is ar 45 ft and its about 42°F all year long.
Interesting.

Regards

Mike D

Thanks Mike. Burleigh Falls sounds interesting.

d33ps1x:
Thanks Mike. Burleigh Falls sounds interesting.

Here's an aerial view of the sight looking east.
The orange roof is is Love Sick Cafe. Foods good service is slow.
Take the little road across from Love sick Cafe, follow it down to a parking lot on your left. The entry sight is at the east end of the parking area.

Please take this advise : THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME to dive Burleigh Falls. With all the rain in the past 2 weeks the Trent Severn Waterway is overflowing. The current is not safe and the vis sucks anyway. I'll post when I hear or see conditions have improved.

regards

Mike d

Is that downtown Peterbourgh now :D

mddolson:
Here's an aerial view of the sight looking east.
The orange roof is is Love Sick Cafe. Foods good service is slow.
Take the little road across from Love sick Cafe, follow it down to a parking lot on your left. The entry sight is at the east end of the parking area.

Please take this advise : THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME to dive Burleigh Falls. With all the rain in the past 2 weeks the Trent Severn Waterway is overflowing. The current is not safe and the vis sucks anyway. I'll post when I hear or see conditions have improved.

regards

Mike d

Tom R:
Is that downtown Peterbourgh now :D

Not quite but almost Tom.
I heard reports we got between 150 - 180 mm of rain within 2 days. Thursday last week the city declared a state of Emergency. 3 roofs colapsed and most of the down town was flooded with 3 feet of water.

Most of the basements had between 1 - 3 feet of water due to storm drains backed up. Most businesses were closed for a day or two.
http://www.mykawartha.com/ka/news/flood2004/
The center of town and east side got his worst
We're now in a state of clean up.
http://www.mykawartha.com/ka/news/peterborough/story/2080391p-2407986c.html

regards

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom