cheap thermometer ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve,

Have you checked pet store aquarium thermometers for something along the lines of your first post?

WarmWaterDiver:
Steve,

Have you checked pet store aquarium thermometers for something along the lines of your first post?

Thats what I was going to suggest - I have on my aquarium a stick-on strip with numbers which change colour according to the temperature. Curious if it would work under pressure.
I remember it was cheap.

Most of what I've seen suggested did not have the resolution and ease of reading I was looking for. I ended up getting a swimming pool thermometer, about 1" in dia and 6 inches long. I tie wrapped a boltsnap to it. I got 4 for about $10 last fall in the end of season clearance. NAMCO needed room for the Christmas trees. It did the trick until I got my Timex Helix, Between the 2 I'll get by until I get a computer for scuba.

Pete

miketsp:
Thats what I was going to suggest - I have on my aquarium a stick-on strip with numbers which change colour according to the temperature. Curious if it would work under pressure.
I remember it was cheap.

I'm not sure that design will work well under pressure. I'd be interested in hearing the results if you try it though.

On a pre-owned reg & console set I acquired, the previous owner had glued a small red-fluid bulb style alcohol thermometer that came in its own semi-flexible plastic / rubber case with the reading marks on it to the console. Whole thing was maybe 1.5" X 1" - brand was 'Aquarius', looked like what I remember stick-on aquarium thermometers were like before the thin color changing LCD design was available. Maybe these aren't available any more.

scubatoys:
I just bring a tape measure and measure the "shrinkage" in the cold water.

Since you're using a tape measure, rather than ruler or micrometer, I'm assuming you're starting your dive in the ever-more-popular 'long hose' configuration?

I avoid exposure to waters that would cause significant 'shrinkage' of my equiment - hence my pseudonym - but everyone has their own preferences!

Sheesh - you folks are pretty creative - I never would have thought of any of those ideas. I'm not sure if Larry's idea is DIR compliant, however. Not sure which idea is best, but it sounds like they are all cheap enough (and safe enough) to experiment with.

Shrinkage tables are not compatible with drysuit diving. And as with computers, 'sharing' a shrinkage-thermometer is discouraged.

-Ben

These look tough enough to handle reasonable depths and you have minimum recording capability for only $16.

http://www.technika.com/Sper/s736680.htm

Of course it's Dir compliant. I wrap it around my neck then use surgical tubing to stop the excess from dangling. :wink:

SteveFass:
Sheesh - you folks are pretty creative - I never would have thought of any of those ideas. I'm not sure if Larry's idea is DIR compliant, however. Not sure which idea is best, but it sounds like they are all cheap enough (and safe enough) to experiment with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom