Cheapest Flight Ticket for Scuba Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdager: Uh-huh, I fly too but considering the distance and fuel cost I'm not interested in beating it a thousand miles down to the Keys at 129 mph. Now if I had the bucks it would be a small business jet parked in my back 40. Another story altogether.

LOL...VERY true. I just hate the "show me papers!" hassle of commercial flying. Not that I will not do it for what I need, I just hate it.

I do understand the desire to NOT spend 8 hours doing 129mph though! :)

I just got back from Cozumel. In my planning, I went directly to the Frontier web site and found the best deal I could, a flight and hotel package deal for a pretty good price. I then went to Orbitz and got the exact same flight and hotel package for significantly less.

The connections were just as good? Many times the Oritz/Travelocity/etc. leave you between connections for hours or take you the long way around. I've found the only thing worse is when using miles to book a trip - they're rarely at the listed mileage for the destination unless you upgrade.

I do understand the desire to NOT spend 8 hours doing 129mph though! :)

Ahh, but you're missing the adventure of GA flying. Getting there is half the fun! No weight restrictions, depending on what you're flying, of course. And, in places like the Bahamas you can get to the smaller islands off the beaten path that the big commercial carriers don't go. Just make sure you're up on your short field work, tho!

The connections were just as good? Many times the Oritz/Travelocity/etc. leave you between connections for hours or take you the long way around. I've found the only thing worse is when using miles to book a trip - they're rarely at the listed mileage for the destination unless you upgrade.

Exact same flights. arrival and departure.

Exact same hotel; except that Orbitz offered an additional package of perks. (Which I didn't use for the most part.)

So since we already have an airplane we intend on using it to fly from Atlanta to Fl/Bahamas as much as is practical/affordable. Of course even I must admit that the recent airline prices make flying commercial attractive.

Just out of curiosity, actually, how much does it cost to fly to Key west from Atlanta with your own plane?

Just out of curiosity, actually, how much does it cost to fly to Key west from Atlanta with your own plane?

It depends on your plane. I was running around in a Falcon 900EX for a while and the variable costs were about $1300/hr. Add maybe another $400 or so an hour for fixed costs per hour (insurance, maintenance, hangar/tiedown, etc) plus salary for two pilots and it ain't cheap.

But it sure was NICE!

Falcon900.jpg

falcon900ex_2.169152159_std.jpg

Where is the place to get the cheapest flight ticket for Scuba trip?

Looking at just the flight is a bit shortsighted. Need to consider the cost of diving, lodging, food, ground transportation, etc as well. If you save $200 on the flight but your hotel room costs you $100 more a night for three nights than a more expensive flight somewhere else...well you haven't really saved any money then, have you?

Looking at just the flight is a bit shortsighted. Need to consider the cost of diving, lodging, food, ground transportation, etc as well. If you save $200 on the flight but your hotel room costs you $100 more a night for three nights than a more expensive flight somewhere else...well you haven't really saved any money then, have you?

Actually NOT....

Because there are many options/choices for Hotel and rental car. It is much easier to book Hotel and Rental car compared to the flight. In addition, there are a lot of coupons and deals out there.

When I travel Florida last year, it was a kind of impulsive trip without booking any hotels or charters. I could book everything with a cell phone and internet access while I was driving to the destination, even for the same day deal, but NOT a flight.

Man, we aren't going to Honeymoon here and don't need to rolling around at the bed. We need to go out for diving and hotel amenity doesn't matter. :)

Round trip to Homestead is around $500. Add another $100 to Key West.

And then divide that by the number of pax to get cost p/p. Pretty competitive, just as convenient and I'd bet you could beat schedule.

Man,, It is very competitive price in a non-stop schedule, no hassle with TSA and luggages, and no waste time on the transit.

Back
Top Bottom