Choosing air-integrated computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S2S

New
Reaction score
I want to buy new air-integrated computers for me. So I have 3 alternative

1. Suunto Vytec
2. Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox
3. Suunto D9

Which of them has better price/quality ratio?

Any suggestion or recomendation? Pros and cons?

S2S:
I want to buy new air-integrated computers for me. So I have 3 alternative

1. Suunto Vytec
3. Suunto D9

Any suggestion or recomendation? Pros and cons?

I recently decided to get an air-integrated as well and did some research on the boards and elsewhere. Ultimately I chose the Air Z Nitrox.

My original canidate was to go with an Oceanic Atom or the Suunto D9 because I like the watch style computer and the numerous features each had. But a lot of people have mentioned concerns about the readability of such units. Additionally, both are relatively new designs which tend to be more suseptible to bugs and defects that often plague new models (whether it be cars, computers or other hi-tech toys). Both Oceanic and Suunto stand behind there products, but I would rather let the early adapters find the problems on something as important as a dive computer.

I have read a lot of good things about the Vytec, but I really liked the simplicity of the Air Z Nitrox. Very readable screen. All information displayed all the time underwater (you never have to push a button to change screens). A strong track record of reliablity. So far my favorite feature (besides air integration) is the ascent meter which tells you what % of allowable ascent rate you are at. Example: if you are ascending at 45ft/min from a depth where 30ft/min is the max it would give show 150% and warn you to slow down. So much more informative than the bubble meter on my other computer. Remaining time calculations is a nice feature, as well as the over exertion warning when you are breathing to fast/hard.

Downside to Air Z: Dealer replaceable batteries only (they have a life of several years for most people), post dive screens and set up kind of tricky to manuever thru, no temp gauge on display (records it for download later), no 3min countdown timer on safety stop, no multiple cylinder pressure monitoring capability, date and time not displayed.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. I got it through Leisure pro which means no ScubaPro "batteries for life" program, but I will be looking for another computer in a few years anyway. The $400 I saved in purchase price will probably pay for half of the next computer I buy.

Thanks for this review! How many dive`s log can store in memeory? I mean if I go diving without my notebook, how much information I can get from it?

Nobody buys the D9 based on price, its about the coolness factor. IMO.

FWIW, I have a Vytec w/o transmitter that so far has been great. Very readable, everything I need to see is on the screen, no button pushing necessary underwater except to trigger the backlight.

S2S:
I want to buy new air-integrated computers for me. So I have 3 alternatives

1. Suunto Vytec
3. Suunto D9

Any suggestion or recommendations? Pros and cons?

We (my husband and I) dive with both
1. Suunto Vytec
2. Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox with AI

The Uwatec records up to 19 dives and 200 minutes of detailed dive profile information
in the memory and the water temp comes up in the download...downside you must also buy the DataTRAK Memo Mouse to download data into your PC. While on a dive trip the DataTRAK Memo Mouse Stores up to 66 hours of detailed dive profile information, so no need to take a laptop. We store both of our Uwatec Aladin’s data on one Memo Mouse. We have full warranty so our battery changes will be free of charge.

We would have to agree with ClevelandDiver
So far my favorite feature (besides air integration) is the ascent meter which tells you what % of allowable ascent rate you are at. Example: if you are ascending at 45ft/min from a depth where 30ft/min is the max it would give show 150% and warn you to slow down.

The Vytec holds the detail of each dive no need to download until you get home. We did 17 dives of more than an hour each on our dive trip and we had all the detail data in the computer when I download. It does have a 15 foot safety stop timer which is a nice feature. The Vytec is also AI …I have not used the AI portion as I also dive with an analog SPG as back up.

We are happy with both computers as they both are good computers and have compatible algorithms; they each have a few different features so they complement each other. They are dependable and had no problems either computer

Be aware If plan to do underwater photography the strobes interferes with the AI transmitter and you can lose conductivity with your wrist computer for number of seconds.

Have not used the Suunto D9 so we have no first hand experience.

Hope this helps!

AZDivers

2 azsilver
Thanks a lot. It`s really helpful information. Tomorrow I`m going to shop for purchasing one :)

+1

My wife and I both have the Air Z Nitrox and love it for the all the reasons ClevelandDiver said.

ClevelandDiver:
Downside to Air Z: Dealer replaceable batteries only (they have a life of several years for most people), post dive screens and set up kind of tricky to manuever thru, no temp gauge on display (records it for download later), no 3min countdown timer on safety stop, no multiple cylinder pressure monitoring capability, date and time not displayed.

If I was buying new today I would go for the new Uwatec Smart Tec. It's basically the new, improved Air Z Nitrox. It fixes a lot of the issues with the Air Z: 100 hours of recording so you can download it when you get home, IrDa interface so you don't have to buy the stupid MemoMouse, safety stop timer, multiple cylinder pressure monitoring. It has a really lame temperature display (better than no display I suppose), and no date and time, but I fixed that on my Air Z by wearing a Casio with temperature display :)

IMHO the interface is no worse than the watch style computers, in fact it's better because I never have to use it during a dive. The clarity of the info on the Uwatec stuff is second to none, especially remaining bottom time which takes into account everything: OxTox, N2, tank pressure and ascent time.

You can download the SmartTrak software from Uwatec and see how it works before buying a computer.

Anyone want to buy my Air Z Nitrox so I can go get a Smart Tec? :wink:

aa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom