Choosing Travel BC for an Inexperience Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On your list, every one is a pretty good option, all make some seriously good kit.

In all honesty id likely go with the Oceanic if all you are using it for is travel.....its nice and light weight, 6lbs total if i recall, integrated weights are nice for travel and not an addition to a bp/w set up. Plus the cost is nice and low.

Zeagle Express Tech or my HOG 23 lb wing with al plate is what I use. I do like the new Edge T2 as well. I have not had the chance to try one as yet. The Express Tech and BPW though are more my style. Minimalist, customized to me with D rings where I want them and no pull dump inflator. My ET wing was ordered with the plain elbow to dupilcate my BPW set ups.

How well does the express tech pack? It seems pretty stiff.

Express tech is modular so I take.the wing off, lay the backpack in the bottom of my carry on backpack and everything packs on top and around it. No problem. As for the op's comment about shipping to Hong Kong being expensive that is true using ups or fedex. Find someone who will ship usps like I or Zeagle Express does and it's about $45.00 flat rate .

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim, How do you fold the wing and are you using an "approved" carry-on? Something like this?

I have an Oceanic roller.backpack that fits in the overhead on all.flights I have been on. When the wing is off the backplate is is not folded. There are straps that hold it on the wing. With these off the wing is easy to.position around the pack. Everything else fits in the middle - reg, mask, back up,light, even my 3 mil suit. On a dive trip essentials go in carry on. Expendable stuff like clothes may get checked or go in the under seat bag. I only take a few t shirts, shorts, and the decent shirt and pants I may need at some time I wear on the plane and back home. The gear bag is large enough for a change of clothes as well to be stuffed in. Fins strap to the outside of the backpack and I can take them off quick to shove in the back of the overhead. I have done this with my BPW as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Zeagle back inflate BC similar to the Oceanic Islander for travel. I am not a big fan of the BP/W for travel. I like integrated weight pockets and a back inflate BC is very nice with pockets where you can stuff trash, or a reel/SMB. The Islander is lightweight at 6lbs and is a great price.

The Halcyon is WAY overpriced. You pay a lot for the Blue H! :wink:

Andy,

Check out the AquaLung Zuma BC. It is the lightest truly travel BC. The complete Zuma Package BC, Reg, Fins, Mask/Snorkle and extras all fit in a rolling bag that meets airline cary on standards. The Zuma BC is a back inflate, and will perform like the items cited above with much less weight and bulk. Our charter has many traveling divers aboard, and everyone diving the Zuma raves about it. I have used our store demo myself, and it really is a great and very unique item. Sounds like it would meet your needs.

Thanks for the advise. Zuma is good and the price here in Hong Kong is very attractive. However, the bladder is too thins that I am concerned about its reliability.

---------- Post Merged at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I see you are in Hongkong, you may want to check out ProDive in Wanchi. I have seen Halcyon Eclipse in their store, so I think they can order Infiniti for you. At least in US, Halcyon doesn't allow dealers to offer discount on H item. So you can buy anywhere, price will be the same. Not sure if that applies to HK tho.

Now, does cost matter to you? because your price range seems pretty big. Oceanic Islander is $300, H inifinity is $860. Even a well used Infiniti will cost more than $300. If cost doesn't matter, then obvious Infiniti is the best amounst your choices. Go with AL plate since you will probably do destination diving a lot.

Taking cost into account, things is harder. A compatible DR package is much less. You will probably not notice the differences in water, but of course the fit and finish will not be as nice. Either way, go with AL plate.

Hi eelnoraa,

Thank you for your advices. Cost is matter to me but I can strtch my budget if it is a better choice. Dive equipment can last long. Therefore, I can be flexible for the price. Yes Halcyon is on the top of my list now. Thee traveller system is very attractive.

---------- Post Merged at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Hi all,

Thank you for your advices and sorry for my late response as I have not visited here in the past 2 days.

I am pretty much set on BP/W and will most likely get the Halcyon traveler system. However, I will try BP/W in my pool training first and then decide which to get.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom