Cochran computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve seen this article—it’s mostly concerned with older, discontinued Cochran models such as the Nemesis and Commander Nitrox (I’ve used a Commander Nitrox many times with no problems). The article also discussed the Gemini and I did have some problems with mine—don’t know whether Cochran has solved the issues.

I have never heard any reports of problems with the current Cochran Commander/Commander EMC-20H.

teknitroxdiver:
What's you guy's take on this article: http://www.bikiniatoll.com/Cochran.html ? Looks like some isolated incidents, but still a cause for concern.

I wish that article would die.. some of those guys were idiots.. When they posted the original review they said the computers acted strange, they deco was counting down and all of a sudden it showed something like 86 minutes of deco remaining.. what it actually did was CLEAR and changed to temperature display.. I HAVE seen a photo that was emailed to cochran that was taken underwater on one of the supposed failed computers..

Too many people do not read the manual, many people the first time they ever hit deco on their computers is on a trip.. If you plan to deco dive YOU must correctly set up the computers (and understand the screens)..

The commanders are rock solid.. I used the nitrox/po2 version for a long time and now have the helium version (to over 100m), The EMC-20 model produces nioce deep stops.. Its a but too conservative on the BIG dives for my taste, but you wount get bent..

3 gases would be nice but its not really absolutely necessary.. The difference between a 50% mixture and oxygen at 6m isn't that great.. It doesnt hurt staying a few extra minutes..

I've been using Cochran computers since 1990. At the moment I have 5 personal units. I am using. In the box on the shelf there are 4 Nemesis II units i just dont use anymore

The current list is

1 Gemini
2 Commander nitrox units
2 Commander EMC-20 units

We had 20 EMC-20 units on the USS Monitor project this summer tracking something like 60 dives without a problem.

That article is a long time ago and has little basis today.

While I agree with my colleage 3 gas on the EMC-20 would be nice its not necessary for most diving needs.

I love my units and will continue to use whatever Cochran puts out. The service I and my clients get from them is unmatched.

Regards,

me to i wish that article would die because its so full of BS its not funny. From the same people but a different article the 10 hours of deco left the guy reported was because he had cleared his deco required(last stop) and was not left on residual NDL times (would have helped if he read the manuel).

The only thing left i need to do is upgrade my wrist unit to the intelligent unit for the newer display and abilities, and maybe some more memory in my TU.

FWIW

Tooth

I dive the Gemini. It is a great computer! I just started to dive Nitrox, so I am getting it changed over to include that. I think most of the complaints about the Cochrans are from people that don't read the manual. As for the operator friendly part of it, I don't, and have never, have any problems using my computer. I am well satisfied with it! Thanks, Rick

I agree with the others, this article is old news. Just look at the date it was written. The thing about this that gets me is I have only seen it posted when someone wants to point out a problem with Cochran computers. If you look at the article it is critical of Cochran computers, but gives them a mixed review, there are LOTS of other brands that it simply says NO to. I have never seen anybody post this when trying to say not to buy a Suunto or an Oceanic, Aeris, or any of the other brands it has on the list.

I have a Gemini, and I did have one problem (out of the water) that was resolved quickly by Cochran. I have used mine on planned decompression dives and lots of recreational dives, I have never had even so much as a little glitch under water. With my Gemini. I have one intelligent wrist unit and one monitor wrist unit, I do have a Submersible Pressure Guage attached to my regulator, but that is partly there as a backup, and partly because I like to view my tank pressure as analog information on a dial, not just numbers. I also wear a dial wristwatch for normal daily use because it like to see the dime of day displayed this way.

Sure look at the article, read the article, even consider the information in the article. Just consider the date and what the entire article says, and frankly what it does not say. If they have recent information, either good or bad they should post it. The lack of current information is somthing to factor in when considering how this applies to current dive computers, whatever brand you are considering.

Mark Vlahos

Yeah that really raised an eyebrow when I saw that list that included just about all the major manufacturers, and classified them as "Do not bring's". I won't be giving that one much thought...

Right now there's a used Commander for sale that I may go for, if I can make up my mind before he sells it. Brand new starting at $250.
thanks for all the help

teknitroxdiver:
Yeah that really raised an eyebrow when I saw that list that included just about all the major manufacturers, and classified them as "Do not bring's". I won't be giving that one much thought...

Right now there's a Commander on eBay I may go for, if I can make up my mind before the auciton ends. Brand new starting at $250. (Don't go and bid on it guys!!!)

thanks for all the help

You know, I did try to it keep quiet about that one on ebay for you........

Thanks for doing that. I figured it was worth the risk in order to get some more opinions on it, or on buying a used one in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom