Cochran computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've had some experience with Cochran, let me share them.

I decided that I wanted a Cochran about three years ago and waited for the right time and price to buy one. No LDS stores so I shopped around in my travels. I've found stores that carry the Cochran but are overpriced to take you another direction, I've found good dealers and I've found bad. Finally found the good dealer and the right price 1500 miles from home. Ordered my computer and had it shipped to me and was happy. Took me five months to go for a dive using it ( in Mexico ). Checked the log after dive and came up with dates and times that were garbage. Checked the documentation for a way to fix the time and date. The CLK funtion wasn't enabled and no way to fix the date. Returned to the states and contacted Cochran. I was told that the CLK function needed to be enabled by the dive shop and that you needed the Analyst SW ( $250 )to fix the date. They suggested that I return to the dive shop that sold me the Commander ( 500 miles away) and enable the CLK and get them to set the date or buy the SW.

I found a dive shop nearer to do the job, they wanted to charge me $15. I suggested that they should bill Cochran and I shouldn't have to pay for it. I was informed that " they wouldn't pay for it so I would have to." Took the guy a half hour to do it, he didn't know how and he had to call Cochran to find out how. Done, paid, and I left town for three months in Cozumel.

First thing that came to my attention, and all my fault, is that the largest two digit number on the face is water temp. I should of realized it before hand. I wanted to know my depth and I kept locking onto water temp. To me knowing that it is 80 or 81 dg's is not so importent, I wanted to know my depth at a glance.

After a day of diving I checked my log. Right time but day 36 month 00 of year 00. Went on , last I checked, day 96 month 00 year 00. No way to check or change the date without the Analyst SW. Know way I want to travel with a lap top and $250 worth of SW to get my date right. Exchanged some E-mails with Cochran , need to buy the SW or go to a shop. Tried to talk about the water temp, they won't talk.

After I bought my Cochran I found about 5 of them that could of been bought on Ebay for $250- $300, some new. Maybe I'd feel better about my dream computer if I had paid half price, or if I'd of recieved some nice feedback from Cochran.

Fix it so that I can set the date and put water temp on the back screen and depth in it's place . Might be great. For now, just frustrated.

good luck, don O

teknitroxdiver:
Does anyone use a Cochran computer, either the Commander or the Commander EMC-20? It looks like they have a nice big display, and I like the upgradeability of them. Any opinions on them?

Also, what is the difference in the Commander and the EMC model?

thanks!

I've been using the EMC-20 for a year now. It's great. I have been using Cochran computers for more than 12 years. The EMC-20 is a 20 compartment model with deep stops and will allow for helium hence the "H" --- the Commander Nitrox is a 16 compartment model with deep stops but is only a nitrox unit.

We ran 16 EMC-20s on the USS Monitor project this past summer for a total of 64 dives without any problems. I am diving tomorrow with my EMC-20s again.

I have in my computer box -- Gemini's Commander Nitrox's and EMC-20s all get used on a regular basis without trouble.

BTW -- these endorsments of this product have nothing to do with the fact that we sell them. I used Cochran computers long before we had our PDC and were selling them.

Regards,

donooo:
Fix it so that I can set the date and put water temp on the back screen and depth in it's place . Might be great. For now, just frustrated.

good luck, don O

don, the water temp will stay on the fornt screen ... at least for now, i have major discussions with them on this --- hopfully future units will be changed ---

As to the date function ..... it's an Analyst program effort.

Send me your unit I will program it up as you like. No charge.

Regards,

donooo:
First thing that came to my attention, and all my fault, is that the largest two digit number on the face is water temp. I should of realized it before hand. I wanted to know my depth and I kept locking onto water temp. To me knowing that it is 80 or 81 dg's is not so importent, I wanted to know my depth at a glance.
good luck, don O

These two digits actually have a VERY important function,,, which should have the biggest numbers. once you enter deco thie is the DECOMPRESSION CEILING.. To me this is very important... The temp display is just an informational display until it is needed.. I would not want the depth here because it would then get confusing.. Is it ceiling or current depth...

That's exactly what Cochran told me. My thoughts are 1) You're marketing in all of the recreational magazines but the design is for a non recreational us ? 2) OK, move the water temp to the second/alternate screen and leave it blank on the primary so temp is not a distraction and decompression ceiling shows up when needed. 3) Or my favorite , move temp to the second/alternate screen and have depth as is and in larger numbers with the larger turning to the decompression ceiling info if/when needed and the smaller remains.

Most divers have no need for a decompression ceiling and mabe less need for a giant running water temp. I want to know my depth. And of Course, as a PADI Scuba Pro, you know how much time you spend instructing on Decompression ceilings.

It remains in my mind the perfect unit, I'am just strugiling with the reality and don't believe I should need to buy the software to fix/check the date.

thanks adios don O

donooo:
That's exactly what Cochran told me. My thoughts are 1) You're marketing in all of the recreational magazines but the design is for a non recreational us ? 2) OK, move the water temp to the second/alternate screen and leave it blank on the primary so temp is not a distraction and decompression ceiling shows up when needed. 3) Or my favorite , move temp to the second/alternate screen and have depth as is and in larger numbers with the larger turning to the decompression ceiling info if/when needed and the smaller remains.

Most divers have no need for a decompression ceiling and mabe less need for a giant running water temp. I want to know my depth. And of Course, as a PADI Scuba Pro, you know how much time you spend instructing on Decompression ceilings.

It remains in my mind the perfect unit, I'am just strugiling with the reality and don't believe I should need to buy the software to fix/check the date.

thanks adios don O

Actually these days I do very little non deco training.. Most of the training I run these days is advanced diving activities... Its strange seeing deco ceilings that are deeper than the rated depth of the computer...

One quick note. Once the unit is in Deco the Temp screen is gone from the front screen. It shows Cieling ...... nice and big.

I was diving yesterday with my EMC-20s and made note of that for you.

Regards,

JDS

I'm sorry to hear the lds wouldn't help you on this. The help you needed shouldn't have been charged for, it would have been customer service. All it did was to sour your already frustrating experience. I feel fortunate to have a great lds that goes out of its way to help me. I use a Gemini, and have had a few problems, but it was like as soon as they heard Cochrane, the problem was fixed in days. Please be patient, they are really good computers, i would recommend fully learning the computer before using it, as it is so complex,(the gemini and analyst sw). Hope things get better for you.

donooo:

I decided that I wanted a Cochran about three years ago and waited for the right time and price to buy one. No LDS stores so I shopped around in my travels. I've found stores that carry the Cochran but are overpriced to take you another direction, I've found good dealers and I've found bad. Finally found the good dealer and the right price 1500 miles from home. Ordered my computer and had it shipped to me and was happy. Took me five months to go for a dive using it ( in Mexico ). Checked the log after dive and came up with dates and times that were garbage. Checked the documentation for a way to fix the time and date. The CLK funtion wasn't enabled and no way to fix the date. Returned to the states and contacted Cochran. I was told that the CLK function needed to be enabled by the dive shop and that you needed the Analyst SW ( $250 )to fix the date. They suggested that I return to the dive shop that sold me the Commander ( 500 miles away) and enable the CLK and get them to set the date or buy the SW.

I found a dive shop nearer to do the job, they wanted to charge me $15. I suggested that they should bill Cochran and I shouldn't have to pay for it. I was informed that " they wouldn't pay for it so I would have to." Took the guy a half hour to do it, he didn't know how and he had to call Cochran to find out how. Done, paid, and I left town for three months in Cozumel.

After a day of diving I checked my log. Right time but day 36 month 00 of year 00. Went on , last I checked, day 96 month 00 year 00. No way to check or change the date without the Analyst SW. Know way I want to travel with a lap top and $250 worth of SW to get my date right. Exchanged some E-mails with Cochran , need to buy the SW or go to a shop. Tried to talk about the water temp, they won't talk.

After I bought my Cochran I found about 5 of them that could of been bought on Ebay for $250- $300, some new. Maybe I'd feel better about my dream computer if I had paid half price, or if I'd of recieved some nice feedback from Cochran.

good luck, don O

with a computer like this, you want a warranty, and as with many other manufacturers, cochrane will not honour a second hand computer.

don000 posted

Funny thing diving this weekend, the water temp was around 40 degrees in the quarry. Everyone was checking the temp on their computers and discussing the temps after each dive. Maybe Cochran realizes that for cold water divers temp is the most important information (ha-ha).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom