Colpoy Bay depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know the depths in the area of Colpoy Bay near Wiarton? I'm doing some research in the Jane Miller case and am curious of the topography and depth.
Jared

At the Wiarton end it is shallow, you can go out quite a distance and still be in 22 ft. Once you get out to Cedar Hill, it drops off past 150 ft. There are a couple of places near the islands, White Cloud etc where it gets into the 250 range IIRC, but I"d need to check my charts for just where that is. Also there is a shoal halfway across the bay from Cedar Hill where it comes up to 25 ft.

Good luck if you are looking to find her, there will likely be lots of (tech) divers happy to dive the JM.

Really just need someone with a scanner to mow the lawn between White Cloud, Griffin and Big Bay. I'd be interested in helping out. :)

http://images.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/59542/data

http://glska.freehostia.com/Bruce9.html

http://www.fedpubs.com/mpchrt/charts/georgianb.htm

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

**Just looked on the charts and it is average depth 77 meters (252 ft) between the islands and the mainland, with the deepest point being 81 meters (265 ft). Also there is a shoal halfway across the bay from Cedar Hill called Gunderson Shoal where it comes up to 25 ft. **

Last edited:
If I could get away with using my sidescan I would. Is there any diving up there in the bay? Thank you for the links, where those bubbles came from was very precise for the time period and can shrink a search grid. It sounds like the bay could be a sidescan nightmare if it's hilly and filled with deep canyons.

Lots of diving Colpoys Bay. That is as long as you are realistic about the diving. I have hundreds of dives in Colpoys Bay and love every one BUT there really is not that much to keep you occupied so you need to love diving for diving.

Last year I took a couple people out to try and find the sunken forest......failed but enjoyed the adventure none the less. I think I have a better idea of where to look next time. This is the shallow part across from Cedar Hill that shoredivr was talking about.....Gunderson Shoal. I suspect the forest is somewhere around LAT 44.816694° LON -81.023601° but that totally unconfirmed and a guess based on what I have read.

Well Steve the shoal is even shallower now, the water levels are down about 14 inches since November. Up here diving today and no sh!t the levels are down. Water temp 34F.

Jared, I sidemount.

I tech dive too but I dive air, so I hope she is above 200'. I need to get up there and do some diving in the area. Even if I don't see anything on the bottom. Depending on the condition of the forest, you should be able to locate the bumps on the bottom by regular sonar. Is the bay rock, sand, mud, or? There should be a few wrecks in that bay according to my files.

Well Steve the shoal is even shallower now, the water levels are down about 14 inches since November. Up here diving today and no sh!t the levels are down. Water temp 34F.

Jared, I sidemount.

Yeah I was there yesterday with my son making sure it was "open". I was surprised at the water level. It was down last year as well. I am hoping we can get up there next weekend.

Jared,

This gives you an idea of the the shore entry is at Cedar Hill. I took this yesterday.

image.jpg

I tech dive too but I dive air, so I hope she is above 200'. I need to get up there and do some diving in the area. Even if I don't see anything on the bottom. Depending on the condition of the forest, you should be able to locate the bumps on the bottom by regular sonar. Is the bay rock, sand, mud, or? There should be a few wrecks in that bay according to my files.
Mud and limestone bottom.

There's a wall off the south side of White Cloud, and a shallow bay on the west side. The wall would be fun to check out.

@Steve: your son is diving already?:)

There is a wall south of the island? That would be a lot of fun. Sadly I think I have couple more years before he'll be diving but hopefully he does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom