Comfybite and DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why didn't you check it after getting it back? Can you tell us what happend to you? How did you handle the failure? What would you do differently next time?

Thanks,

Mark

Albion:
With the exception of a newly serviced reg that wasnt correctly pre dive checked, No actually.

mweitz:
Why didn't you check it after getting it back? Can you tell us what happend to you? How did you handle the failure? What would you do differently next time?
Thanks,
Mark
Wasn't my Reg that failed, I handled the failure by sticking my moulded mouthpiece fitted regulator in the guys hands, it worked that time, but i dont use it anymore :11ztongue

jonnythan:
A true pioneer.. refusing to learn from the mistakes and insights of others. This attitude is to be admired.. now go forth and blaze a new path.. right on top of the old one. :eyebrow:

Gimme a break, he said to get out and "read more", great as another Advanced cyber diver goes forth to blaze a trail. IMVHO going diving is much more beneficial than sat here reading posts, and getting further actual dive training better still. I think a lot more can be learnt on a dive boat full of experienced divers rather than reading something from someone who you have no idea as to their experience level. i'm not trying to detract from what can be learnt from Scuba board, I have learnt a lot here, just that some posters have limited experience and sometimes you never know if you are being offered sound advice or a second hand urban myth.

Albion:
i'm not trying to detract from what can be learnt from Scuba board, I have learnt a lot here, just that some posters have limited experience and sometimes you never know if you are being offered sound advice or a second hand urban myth.
That's understandable. In the case of what I posted above, this came directly to me from a member of the Britannic expedition.

Albion:
Gimme a break, he said to get out and "read more", great as another Advanced cyber diver goes forth to blaze a trail. IMVHO going diving is much more beneficial than sat here reading posts, and getting further actual dive training better still.

Just wanted to comment on this a bit ... as I took the remark differently than you did.

In context, the subject was about how to treat a toxing diver. Now, I don't know too many people ... even those like myself who teach this topic in Rescue class ... who have first-hand experience treating someone who toxes at depth.

In that regard, all of my knowledge (and I don't mind admitting that I hope it stays this way) comes from either what I learned in my own classes, or what I've read about the topic.

Getting out and diving more won't really help unless, on one of those dives, you end up bringing a toxing diver to the surface. You really have to rely on what you learn by reading, and what conclusions you come to by thinking through the scenario based on what you read. Practice, in this case, is limited (for most of us) to what we can simulate in a Rescue class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

vodolaz:
The palate strap on the Comfobites could hinder or prevent getting a seal on an unconscious/distressed diver. The Scubapro mouthpieces, which I find similar in comfort, do not have that feature, so you would be able to pry apart the flaps and press the reg direct onto the victim's mouth.

Does DIR teach putting a reg in an unconscious persons mouth? NAUI teaches to leave them as you found them. If they have a reg then leave it in until you get to the surface. If they don't have one then just get them to the surface and do not put one in their mouth. If they are unconscious with no reg then they aren't breathing and giving them a reg won't do any good. Why waste the time?

Joe

Sideband:
Does DIR teach putting a reg in an unconscious persons mouth? NAUI teaches to leave them as you found them. If they have a reg then leave it in until you get to the surface. If they don't have one then just get them to the surface and do not put one in their mouth. If they are unconscious with no reg then they aren't breathing and giving them a reg won't do any good. Why waste the time?

Joe
In certain cases, according to the book.. for example, way back in a cave.

jonnythan:
In certain cases, according to the book.. for example, way back in a cave.
Or if they are convulsing

JeffG:
Or if they are convulsing

Exactly. If they're toxing, you want to get a different gas into their system. Allowing them to breath their own gas will only result in more toxing.

To add to this, you don't want to ascend with a toxing diver. Their throat may be closed from convulsions, and you can cause serious injury to them if they can't release gas from their lungs. Wait until the convulsions stop, then ascend, stopping if they reappear.

Sideband:
......... If they are unconscious with no reg then they aren't breathing and giving them a reg won't do any good. Why waste the time?

Joe

If they're convulsing, you can't be sure that they're not breathing. And unless you've done a complete examination on them, I for one would want to err on the side of "they might take a breath, so I'll give 'em gas" rather than on taking a chance that they might suck in a lung full of seawater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom