Coming down to dive Alexander, Devils Den and Ginnie March 21-23, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice pics, Ber

that was a frigging big gator

H2Andy:
nice pics, Ber

that was a frigging big gator

Hubby did a great job with the pics for sure. I had changed the exposure on the camera before the dive to see if we could keep them from washing out in the bright light and I was really happy with the results.

I wasn't sure what was considered "big" when it came to gators, I figured he was about medium size. We don't run across many gators here in Ohio which probably explains why we didn't know we were supposed to get out when they came into the spring. We tried to respect the gator's space and our presence didn't seem to be bothering him so I figured he wouldn't bother us. It was a cool experience for my student to say the least, we knew not to go past the ropes but didn't know why. The gator surfaced when a man and his small son snorkeled into the area, let's just say they nearly walked on water when that gator's head popped up a few yards ahead of them. The guy couldn't see me pointing at the gator and waving them away because he wasn't wearing a mask. I thought that kid was going to be gator bait, he couldn't have been more than 4 years old.
Ber :lilbunny:

Holy poo!

I've probably 50+ dives there, and well over a hundred trips for various purposes, and that is by far bigger than any gator I have seen. And then you have two at one time. Can't say as I am exactly jealous, though.

Holy Cow! What an experience! Better you than I!

Ber Rabbit:
Photos are up! Well, all but one. I'm too tired to figure out why it won't post when the other went up just fine. Click here to go to the album with the gator pics :D

Dave, it was great to meet you today!
Great pictures. We were not going to go pull the gators tail however! It was an experience and me with my camera home on the table. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Great meeting you guys also. Thanks for putting up with the ole coot. Have a safe trip back to the frozen north.

Dave

Wow Ber, gators! Glad you are all safe!

WOWZA!!!!
That's about the size of the one that was in Peacock about a couple of months ago , but It didn't get that close to us. (phew)

Glad your OK !!!!

OK , I'll make sure there are no Gators lurking around the Ballroom on Friday morning when you get to Ginnie !!! :D

See ya tomorrow morning!

Da Bean

Oh wow! I was wondering why there were never gators in the springs--now I know otherwise. Anybody see any at any of the other springs besides Alexander and Morrisons?

jeandiver:
WOWZA!!!!
That's about the size of the one that was in Peacock about a couple of months ago , but It didn't get that close to us. (phew)

Glad your OK !!!!

OK , I'll make sure there are no Gators lurking around the Ballroom on Friday morning when you get to Ginnie !!! :D

See ya tomorrow morning!

Da Bean

Ummm we originally got close to it, maintaining a respectful distance of course but when I spotted it we went over to check it out and take pictures. I was afraid for the little kid when the gator saw him coming then headed up to grab a breath. I seriously thought I was going to have to learn to wrestle a child from an alligators mouth.

That whole "descending alligator" trick was a heart stopper once I realized he intended to occupy my space; I'd never seen a critter that didn't avoid the ascending bubbles.

Looking forward to seeing you in the morning! We'll be in a white Chevy short-bed crew cab pickup.

i'll be there around 10:00 (need to refill)

will be looking for you all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom