Coming down to dive Alexander, Devils Den and Ginnie March 21-23, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duckbill:
You guys are cracking me up!

Alligators act far differently when submerged than when they are on the surface. They may forage while submerged- for small fish, turtles, and such; But, an alligator meeting up with an animal as big as you underwater would most likely flee in a microsecond. You might get a face full of tail, but not likely to be bitten. Of course, there are always exceptions when dealing with wild animals, so safe is always better.

Well, they sure weren't fleeing they were just kind of hanging out ignoring us. I had never really seen one up close and definitely never seen one in the wild up close, they are definitely an awesome critter up close and in person.

duckbill:
THIS TIME OF YEAR, especially, alligators get really turned on by bubbles coming up from under them. Courting alligators blow bubbles under eachother. To them, it's erotic. I used to use a PVC pipe to blow bubbles under my 5-foot caiman's chin this time of year just so she wouldn't feel so lonely!

Erm, you mean if I had simply stayed where I was my husband could have gotten some interspecies action photos? If I'd known Mr. Gator was in love rather than hungry I might have held my ground LOL! Hubby is trained to just keep taking pictures no matter what happens :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Erm, you mean if I had simply stayed where I was my husband could have gotten some interspecies action photos? If I'd known Mr. Gator was in love rather than hungry I might have held my ground LOL! Hubby is trained to just keep taking pictures no matter what happens :eyebrow:
Ok, that is just WRONG!!!!!!:11: :11: :11:

Scuba_Jenny:

Wrong yes but potentially hysterical :rofl3:

Ber Rabbit:
Erm, you mean if I had simply stayed where I was my husband could have gotten some interspecies action photos?

Oh, you would have definitely had some interspecific action, but can't say for sure what kind :wink:
The bottom of a body of water is an alligator's security blanket. It is where they can rest without fear of disturbance (usually!). If you had stayed very still where you were, I would guess that she would have just settled down on you enjoying the bubbles. Once you moved, though, she would have probably made a hasty exit. But, if your movement was anywhere along the side of her head, you might have then recieved a quick snap before she said "goodbye" (big ouch!).

They can't see very well under water, so they will sit tight; but once they feel something out of the ordinary touch them, they usually get frightened and split.

That was a dive you will never forget. What a treat!
Thanks for sharing.

ON THE OTHER HAND, big, bull alligators are extremely territorial, and can be unpredictable and dangerous during this time of year. I didn't mention this before because your gator doesn't look like a bull alligator. But, I thought I should say it now before everyone goes out to swim with the gators (yea, right).

Ber Rabbit:

Scuba_Jenny:

Ber Rabbit:
Wrong yes but potentially hysterical :rofl3:

Makes me proud to be on staff here. :wink:
We get to meet Mr. Gator on Thursday.:11:

Pete

spectrum:
We get to meet Mr. Gator on Thursday.:11:

Pete
Too bad I can't make it Pete, I could have personally introduced you:D Becarefull with them around. Mr. Gator's mating season is about now. The park rangers did make us stay out until the gators cleared the spring area on our second dive. The ranger also said the gators were suppose to be behind the rope to the right. So if you see one tell them to get back behind the rope!:D

Have fun up there. Look at the weird black fish also.

duckbill:
ON THE OTHER HAND, big, bull alligators are extremely territorial, and can be unpredictable and dangerous during this time of year. I didn't mention this before because your gator doesn't look like a bull alligator. But, I thought I should say it now before everyone goes out to swim with the gators (yea, right).

The gator I almost went nose to nose with on the second dive was bigger than the first and the one that came down to join it was about the same size or smaller (could have been the same one). There was definitely a different "vibe" in the water that dive than I had felt the first time. The first dive was a serene vibe even right next to the gator, the second dive my danger alarm went off as soon as the second gator showed up. It was weird.

spectrum:
We get to meet Mr. Gator on Thursday. :11:

Pete
The troublesome members are starting to rub off on me AAAAACK! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom