compass position

Where do u have your compass?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great answers so far! I cant use a compass mounted on a consould because my depth gauge/spg doesent allow it. So that leaves me caught between a wrist mount and on a retractor. During certification i had it on my wrist because that was all they had but it was kinda bugging me when i take pictures. However the retractor option might get in the way. Im thinkin maybe put it on a retractor. Any objections? Thanks!

I'm not a fan of the strap that comes with the SK-7 and I'd love go get one of the DSS wrist mounts. I can see they're available online at diveriteexpress.com but the blurb references a Uwatec bottom timer. Is this the same wrist mount for the SK-7?

thanks

MSilvia:
I use a Suunto SK-7 with a DSS wrist mount. While I find it to be very convenient there, and not difficult to navigate with. The SK-7 is readable when tilted as much as 30 degrees though. Other compasses might not be as easy on a wrist mount as with a console or retractor, but with a little practice they shouldn't be hard to use that way either.

vanDavid:
I'm not a fan of the strap that comes with the SK-7 and I'd love go get one of the DSS wrist mounts. I can see they're available online at diveriteexpress.com but the blurb references a Uwatec bottom timer. Is this the same wrist mount for the SK-7?

thanks
Just yank the strap out and run 2 to 3 loops on bungy in the stock boot first and see how you like that.

Retractor - Keeps it out of the way yet allows for use when needed. Where is our underwater GPS?

Dave

Interesting thread!

I use the compass that came with my dive computer in the console.

As a licensed land surveyor in California, I am amazed at how few people actually know how to use a compass. Watching people use them is rather laughable at times.

I think the ability to USE the compass is more significant than the model or the location.

Interestingly, I have yet to find a dive compass that has an adjustable declination. In Southern California, the declination is -14 degrees. That’s quite a bit! I saw one advert, I think for the SK7, that had some drivel about being corrected for the market to which the compass ships. Lovely! I’ve got 30 dive under my belt since getting certified in September. Catalina is running about -15º. La Jolla is running about -14º and Loretto must be about -10º. If I’d been able to go to Florida and dive on the Oriskany, that would have been about +1º(?).

I’ve actually thought about taking an old medium sized, oil-filed foresters compass under with me.

BTW - to the cave diving mappers: what sort of compass do you use and how do you protect it from magnetic aberrations in the rock in the walls, floor and ceiling of the cave?

Ber Rabbit:
Some of my students have found an interesting problem with the console mounts on our university regulators. Students who have a "thicker" body find that the hose for the console isn't long enough to get the compass into a comfortable position to use. Just something to keep in mind. Personally I prefer a wrist mount and the students who had problems with hose length on the console mounted ones loved using my wrist mount as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

I guess I must count as thicker. A 42 inch HP hose makes it all good.

spectrum:
I guess I must count as thicker. A 42 inch HP hose makes it all good.

LOL! It's usually my "big-chested" guys who have a problem, they don't have to be overweight either. It's not too bad in the pool but once you put cold-water wetsuits on them the hose is barely long enough for them to read their gauges. Great for keeping gear streamlined, not so good for navigation :D

djb_1965:
I have tried both wrist and console mount. To me it is easier to maintain a straight heading on the console, plus my computer is a wrist mount, which I like. Just too much on the wrist for me. I would try to borrow one of each if you can and practice. It is more of a personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Most divers I go with prefer the console, since you check air there anyway, you can watch both at once. But as with anything.....answers will vary.
I agree,too much on wrist

Interesting, I was very surprised to see the number of folks using wrist compasses. I have used them but find it much more handy, for me anyway, in the console with a retractor attached to the buckle of my trim weights in the back of my BC. I use mine alot and if it were on my wrist it would have to go on my left wrist. I just know that would be the place for it for me personally. But then that is where my computer is and that would be too much junk on my arm for me to be comfortable.

I wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a little longer hose if you find it a little short for you on your console. I always found it more difficult on my wrist because it always seemed so akward trying to get it turned around and level at a right angle. In the console it points in the right direction already like a gun sight. Maybe it is just me.

WVDiver:
I wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a little longer hose if you find it a little short for you on your console. I always found it more difficult on my wrist because it always seemed so akward trying to get it turned around and level at a right angle. In the console it points in the right direction already like a gun sight. Maybe it is just me.

Nope, not hard to get a longer hose but when you are using university gear you're stuck. Funding just isn't there to have a variety of hose sizes but I wanted to make sure the OP knew that might be a potential problem.

Back
Top Bottom