Compass Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have owned my SK7 for 6 years. The SK6's were known to be faulty on occasion, and they have not been made for at least 5 years?

Why all the chatter? Compasses break and this one is at Least 5 years old more likely 10+.

Hate to say this but, are you sure you know which way north actually is. My wife insisted a compass was broken because she knew which way our house faced, showing her another one only proved I don't own one that works right. The compass was right but I won't show it to her in the house again, unless I want a new one.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

New house or new wife?

maybe the compass needle just lost its magnetism. I recently had to move my regs and other compasses around to pack things for a trip and noticed one of my dive compass and another land compass stopped pointing to the north.

I wonder if I can re-magnetize them again, maybe put them near some neodymium magnets.

You get what you pay for. After years of diving, I have never purchased any "operational gear" on line or used. That includes bc's, regs, computers, and compass. I'll get the best deal I can on neoprene, accessories, etc. An decent, NEW compass from my LDS is about $40.00. I also think a compass and the ability to use it is an important part of being a competent diver. I'm glad you notice a malfunction. I have had aow students who didn't even own one (until they met me). I am sure you will get squared away with a working compass one way or another.
DivemasterDennis

You get what you pay for....
DivemasterDennis

Sometimes. Other times you pay a lot more than necessary or get a lot less than you should have. Then, if you know what your are doing, you can shop around and get much more than you pay for or pay a lot less than MSRP for what you want. I payed less than $40 for a new SK-7 on ebay.

Well, it might be a little late, because I see the OP has already sent the compass back, but I have a thought on a possible culprit.

Nator, was the sk-6 wrist-mounted, or did you attach it to your regulator console when you were testing it? If it was on your console, your pressure gauge might be causing the problem. My LDS has found that some pressure gauges have a weak magnetic field on them, probably something with manufacturing, shipping, or where they were being stored. They found several of these pressure gauges in their rental fleet that caused the console compasses to act weird. They degaussed the gauges, and the problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom