Complete Scuba Package for Beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't limit yourself just to used gear.

Do you really want a wetsuit someone else has been pee'ing in?

Have you checked to see what a used regulator verses a new one costs once you add the parts you'd have to buy each year for service for a used one? (New regulators often come with free parts for annual service, which saves you $60/year on average. Buy a used regulator and you pay $60 labor + $60 parts to get it serviced before you ever use it, then another $60 for parts for year 2 and $60 for parts for year 3. So the first 3 years, you've paid an extra $240 on parts/service that you wouldn't pay for a new regulator).

Not that some used gear is a bad thing, just do all the math on whether it's a good deal or not.

Hey,

It's awesome youre so enthousiastic about diving, especially in what I imagine to be a colder lake in MO. I agree with some others on the regulator issue. It's the one piece of equipment your life really depends on. I'd get a new one that I know works well and has been serviced regularly. An alternative though would be from you LDS as many get new gear every year and hopefully take good care of their gear, although some users may not. Aside from the reg get yourself a set of fins and mask and rent the rest until you find someting that you are confortable with. My Open water was about ~$400 and took two weekends to complete. Happy Diving.

Hey,

It's awesome youre so enthousiastic about diving, especially in what I imagine to be a colder lake in MO. I agree with some others on the regulator issue. It's the one piece of equipment your life really depends on. I'd get a new one that I know works well and has been serviced regularly. An alternative though would be from you LDS as many get new gear every year and hopefully take good care of their gear, although some users may not. Aside from the reg get yourself a set of fins and mask and rent the rest until you find someting that you are confortable with. My Open water was about ~$400 and took two weekends to complete. Happy Diving.

Tell me something, as a beginner, don't you deserve decent equipment? Do you not breath as hard as me, an instructor? Probably harder, huh? The bottom line "entry" level reg will be like breathing through a straw!

Welcome to scubaboard.

I have been there and done that so I can give you some advices.
Here is the total I spent on my gear.

- Reg setup XTX-200 (spanking new) 800$
- BC Used --------240$+25$inspection.
-Wetsuite (new)+Weights and Console holder ---400$
- Dive comp with wireless( used) 300$
-Mask Fins Snorkel 400$ ( new -- got raped by an LDS sell the TUSA IMPREX 200$--they are worth 50$max)

This is only a preview to show you that Scubadiving is quite the expensive thing. But since Im an addict I dont mind.

And you have to understand that the purchase price is not always what you will pay. As MIKE_S said it will be sometimes more expensive to buy Used than new.

My whole stock is worth 2000$ CND, im renting tanks since you have to make the Visual Inspection and Hydro, thats why I rent, hassle-free

I bought half used, half new.

The only purchase I regret are my mask and fins. Bought too fast.

The key is take your time and shop around. Never buy used to fast.
Check the thing for weeks. Let Ebay bids pass up to see resulting price.
Ask people around for the quality, pros and cons about a product.
Scubaboard.com is a huge database for that :D
and there's plenty of people here wanting to help or correct you when you make mistakes.

But you have to try new things before buying them.
I did my classes with a jacket BC and I hate the way I move around with that thing. My teacher lent me his backinflated one and I loved it. Thats why I tell you, take the class, rent a couple of times and buy afterwards.

Welcome to SB! You might check out the ScubaBoard HOT DEALS Forum. It's a great place to check out ScubaBoard Member exclusive deals. Membership Does Have It's Privileges!

If you’re looking for a low cost reg that breathes very well and is low cost to maintain, check out the IST proline R10 or R20 (Adjustable) Reg.

Here is a review
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/the_best_of_everything_gear_guide_2003:_regulators/2/

Here is a slightly modified version of the reg from Tusa
http://www.scubamart.com/detail.aspx?ID=296
Interesting they call it the Tusa R-100 instead of the IST R-10 Huh?

Many will say no way but it’s a VERY good reg. I have two of them and my last service cost me $25 bucks at the LDS. It’s the same regulator as a midline Oceanic. (Can't remember the model number) but it takes Oceanic parts. IST is a large Manufacturer in Taiwan and they put other company’s names on their regs.

When I told my LDS what I paid for it he said it was a steal.

The R20 breathes very nice at 130 feet in all positions and is a balanced piston. I was persuaded to purchase a Mares Proton Ice and it’s a great reg but it doesn't breathe that much better than the IST and that’s a fact. I have had them both at depth side by side and the difference is negligible.

All in all I would say it’s the best bang for the buck.

I ordered several rebuild kits directly from IST for $15 each and my LSD does the work.

You can Google for IST Regulator R10 on the web or go to joediveramerica.com
Joe Diver has them for around $150 new

Scooter

If not already suggested, I would suggest NOT getting everything right off.

Reason: different people like different gear and it's only after a few dives and some experience that you discover the pros and cons. Different people will be convinced of their likes but you need to try it to know your own opinion.

Stuff you want to get now:

Mask, suit, gloves, boots, perhaps regulator since better reg = $$$

BC is the thing you need to try the most before spending the big bucks. Many styles. Get a little experience using rentals in the water, then you'll know what is important.

Fins: there are different ones here too

Suit: fit and ease of putting it on is the deal here. Repetitive dives get annoying otherwise.

Kane71270,

Slow down, diving is not like getting into a race.

First off if you haven't been certified go get a OW cert. There you are able to test out gear and find what is most suitable for you.

Been there done that and have way too much stuff too LOL! Extra Regs, suits, fins & masks LOL!

There are some things that are best new and not used.
Wetsuits, regs & SMBs for example.
Stuff like fins, compass, bcds and even masks are maybe ok.

Also don't get into the trick of thinking that buying cheap now will save you money.
We have almost all gone through that phase and it does not work.
Basically a great setup that's not too expensive would be something like this:
Fins:
Scubapro Jet fins (cheap available on ebay 2nd hand and if you don't like em sell em)

Wetsuit/gloves/booties:
Scubapro (good but expensive esp the everflex types), Akona or Bare (good and not too expensive)

Mask:
Whatever fits and doesn't leak.

Bcd:
A BP/W would be nice but it's not for everyone (brands like oxycheq, golem, DSS or even Halcyon are great)
Otherwise, Zeagle, Scubapro, mares etc are all pretty good.

Regulators (new):
Scubapro MK 17/600 or MK25/600 (more expensive), Aqualung legends, Apex XTX 100 or 50 is good enough the 200 is not really worth it.

Dive comp, gauges & compass:
Anything reliable so long as they aren't integrated, watch type comp and compass. Simple metal pressure gauge.

Think that's all

SangP

Now you're talking my two favorite things... I've been diving for 20+ years, but pretty new to paintball. We now sell paintball stuff on line at our site as well, and we are in the process of opening a 26,000 square foot indoor paintball field. Should be going in the next month or so. And a used gun... I'd buy... But with the scuba gear, you really are normally cheaper in the long run by the time you look at the parts and service, going with something new.

But as everyone suggested, you may want to wait a bit. Probably you didn't buy the ego the first day you played paintball... you can run around a field with a rented tippmann 98 for a few days before you decide how much you like it, and how much money you want in the sport.... same for scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom