Completed Open Water course...I think

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bula!

New
Reaction score
Hi, I just completed my Open Water course with a friend while I was on holiday in Fiji. It was my first time diving and I absolutely loved it.

However, I’m worried because the instructor was not very thorough in teaching and testing us. He didn’t speak good English and so it was difficult for him to explain things to us, and for us to ask him questions. Having read through the PADI text book, although we went through the major skills with him, I noticed there are certain skills we did not cover, such as diving with a compass and emergency ascents. We only did one short pool session, and then four open water dives, although we only did skills in the first two, the last two were just for fun. All of the dives went fine, but I can’t help thinking that we aren’t as prepared for future diving as we should be after the course.

We live in England where diving is difficult, and although I want to continue diving as often as possible, I’ll probably have to wait until I go to another country again, so I really want to be comfortable with diving when I do.

I’d just like some advice as to what I should do, i.e. whether I shouldn’t worry about it, or if just doing more dives is enough to make up for it, or if I should try and have some more lessons or another course, if that’s possible.

Diving in the UK is a bear. Not for the untrained.

I understand there are many BSAC clubs in the UK and it might be very worth checking into one. At least talk to them....but I have heard that they are not endeared with PADI so be ready for that. Regardless....even if you had to do the course over again... what is your life worth to you?
rich

Certainly taking the course a second time is always an obtion and maybe a great idea. Not having all the facts of your training I'd say do it again you have nothing to lose. Especially if you think it will be a long time before you dive again. You may even want to wait and do another course or a refresher just prior to your next dive. Better safe than sorry.

Take the course over or take a refresher. If you learn and dive where you live, everywhere else will be easy...:)

Bula!:
Hi, I just completed my Open Water course with a friend while I was on holiday in Fiji. It was my first time diving and I absolutely loved it.

However, I’m worried because the instructor was not very thorough in teaching and testing us. He didn’t speak good English and so it was difficult for him to explain things to us, and for us to ask him questions. Having read through the PADI text book, although we went through the major skills with him, I noticed there are certain skills we did not cover, such as diving with a compass and emergency ascents. We only did one short pool session, and then four open water dives, although we only did skills in the first two, the last two were just for fun. All of the dives went fine, but I can’t help thinking that we aren’t as prepared for future diving as we should be after the course.

We live in England where diving is difficult, and although I want to continue diving as often as possible, I’ll probably have to wait until I go to another country again, so I really want to be comfortable with diving when I do.

I’d just like some advice as to what I should do, i.e. whether I shouldn’t worry about it, or if just doing more dives is enough to make up for it, or if I should try and have some more lessons or another course, if that’s possible.

It's disconcerting when you see gaps in your training.

The fact that you did a holiday course and came out of it as an enthusiastic diver is a good sign but as you note you have gaps. Your OW card is really a licence to learn just as an AOW holder with 10 dives is not an advanced diver.

If you are comfortable with your basics I'd suggest diving with local groups and try to find yourself a mentor that can keep an eye on you. Also some "confined" open water time with even another new diver to pick up the skills you have found to be missing in your training. It would be best to have a seasoned diver overseeing but what you need is a willing drill partner. I'm suggesting a calm cove or lake/pond, no surf or poor visibilty. If this does not give you a warm fuzzy the speak with your local dive shop about either a private lesson or 2 to cover gaps and local conditions. Time with a dive master may also be adequate. You are certified so you have many options.

Once the seed of doubt is planted it will continue to grow so take some course of action to put yourself at rest.

Pete

Maybe take a tune up class. while you have the instructor there cover the skills you missed. then take it from there. the instructor will let you know if you need to reatke the course.

Thanks for the advice everyone. There's only one dive shop in my area which I'll check out, but I'm pretty sure they don't run a PADI course, and I've already checked for dive clubs in the area, but no luck. Otherwise I'll wait until I go to uni in October, where I know they do BSAC courses, and there should be plenty of people to dive with.

Bula!:
Thanks for the advice everyone. There's only one dive shop in my area which I'll check out, but I'm pretty sure they don't run a PADI course, and I've already checked for dive clubs in the area, but no luck. Otherwise I'll wait until I go to uni in October, where I know they do BSAC courses, and there should be plenty of people to dive with.

Why wait, if you're bothered go do it with any instructor you feel good about. What you're looking for should be agency unrelated.

PADI got you into this , right? :11:

Pete

I understand what you're saying about the instructor, but the only one I know of works in the dive shop, so it all depends on talking to him. I didn't mean to say I'm only looking for PADI instructors, I just presumed (probably wrongly) that they would be more reliable than instructors with smaller agencies, so that would be my first choice. I realise that an instructor will be good regardless of whatever agency he works for, but it's difficult to find out about one before its too late.

I think my options in my current area would be limited to either possibly practicing in a swimming pool, or diving at the coast nearby, as I can't think of any lakes or ponds near me. I agree that it would be best to sort things out as soon as possible, so I'll get some more information about the local area.

Bula!:

Did you receive a temporary cert card from the Inst ? Based on your description of the class you took I wonder if it may have been PADI Scuba Diver rather than Open Water Diver.

Back
Top Bottom