Completed OW today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well done on the OW. Sounds like a tough learning environment. I'm a "tidy bowl" diver so brrrrr......Enjoy the Riviera Maya. You've earned it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, because I hate burning fun vacation time taking classes, but this trip or if you're planning another warm water trip sometime next year you might think about AOW and recreational nitrox some place warm. I know alot of folks would say "get a bunch more dives" before AOW (and I would tend to agree though everyone is different), but if your training options are limited to cold water quarries and they aren't your cup of tea, then do it someplace warm when you have the chance. With those certs the world is your oyster for warm water dive travel. Again, congrats and have fun. :D

stuartv,

Welcome to SB by the way!

One thing to learn "early" in your journeys through the various Threads and Forums on SB is the "passion" that Users have. Take nothing personally and develope an understanding of the various other Users. You will often find the same folks popping up in similar Threads.

You've had a number of scuba Instructors that frequent SB comment in your Thread. That's pretty cool. Their message has been fairly consistent, that's pretty cool and often not the case. They are just looking out for you and others who are just starting out who might be reading this thread.

My instructor has told me if we do well on the 9th and things go smoothly and the conditions are good we may get 4 dives done in one day.. Ow passed in one day of diving.

Get in :)

Don't get in... get OUT! And go get another instructor.

Stuart-

Again..this is not to be personalized...I think I can safely state on EVERYONE'S behalf..Congratulations and welcome to a new world!! We're all thrilled to have ya!!

That being said...again I reiterate...new divers are at the mercy of the instructors and peer group. It does you no favors to gloss over, minimize, disregard or shortchange the class/students ESPECIALLY...in O/W training. Please just take a little time..and just THINK...about the possible scenarios involved in a standards violation. What REALLY upsets me..is the message that you, as a student, take away from these circumstances. IT'S JUST NOT OK TO BREAK STANDARDS. End, full stop. They are in place for YOUR safety and to insure you learn, retain and execute WHEN THE NEED ARISES.

Ya know that lil thing.." New divers don't know what they don't know"? Well...the TRAINING MATERIALS are purposely written to a 6th grade education level. IE "10 years old". Interesting huh...ya learn something new every day!

Again congratulations...Next time your in the Milwaukee area shout..we'll go diving!!

Bubs

One other thing I'll throw in please be truthful with the dive op you will be using on your trip as to your experience level so they can plan your dives accordingly they all don't check log books or c-cards. You were certified in a quarry and you will be diving in salt water, open ocean with current a little different than the quarry. Also I would leave out the cenotes until you have some more dives under your belt and your buoyancy is diled in.

Thanks again.

I am already scheduled for the Nitrox class in 2 weeks. No dives required for that.

And I will definitely be very clear with my dive op in RM. My g/f went through the class with me. She doesn't want to dive anywhere where the water is deeper than 40 feet. We did a discovery dive in Maui last year and being in open water with that much visibility in all directions kind of freaked her out a bit. I want to make SURE that the dives we do in RM are ones where she'll feel totally comfortable and be able to enjoy it.

I didn't mind the quarry, so I will probably pursue Advanced here, after we're back (and after the quarry reopens in the Spring - they close after Nov 15th).

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Everyone else has said anything I would say, and I agree with them, so I'll go elsewhere

My very first dive vacation was to Akumal. I had all of the shore and boat diving I wanted in 40 feet or less with a ton of visibility. The reefs there are called spur and groove, so you will have sand channels to swim down as deep as you are comfortable, then cross the reef over to another sand channel, then come back shallower. I completed Advanced, rescue, and 5 specialties there in the 17 days we stayed. We stayed so long because the exchange rate tanked while there, and we paid the same for 17 days as the week we had booked.

Have a great time, and above all, be safe.

People here on SB sure do seem to be fond of making assumptions about other people. And talk down to them, too.

That wasn't my intent personally, but I can see how it could come across that way. My apologies.

You're getting a very consistent response from a variety of well-respected people in the industry (not implying myself, just to be clear), and that wouldn't be the case if there was nothing to it. If your instructor violated his agency's standards, he altered your education and safety in a way that couldn't possibly improve them, but might detract from them. If he violated his agency's standards, he is maintaining his credential with them under false pretenses because none of the agencies mentioned in this thread would approve this.

I see you mention SDI in your profile. Is this the agency through which you've gotten your OW?

I understand you not wanting to hear all this, especially when you're feeling all celebratory over an important milestone. If you come to a bunch of people who have the experience and background to see this with concern, it's probably unreasonable to expect them all to just join you in high fives while they look the other way.

There is nothing necessarily WRONG with going 4 training dives in a day! Back when I was an active instructor, I MIGHT have pushed the guidelines a "tiny" bit, but I can honestly say that I tried very, very hard to follow the PADI rules for teaching. Taking an open water student to 62 feet (inadvertently) would be something I would categorize as stretching the rules.

However, the rules say 3 dives per day. It is incredibly idiotic to do 4 training dives in a day. To knowling, blatantly and deliberately violate the rules during an open water training session is ... I don't know how many adjectives to use...if an accident happened, the instructor would be 100% screwed.

3 dives in cold water in one day is pushing it in my opinion, I did training in warm water, if I did training in cold water, I doubt I would even attempt 3 dives. It is too stressful and skinny women and children are probably NOT going to be able to handle the thermal stress alone.

If you are doing shallow training dives, off a protected beach with 85 degree air temperature and 82 degree water, low levels of exertion and the class consists of college students.. then 3 dives is probably fine. Even 4 might be doable, except that it is a gross violation which subjects the instructor to incredible liability. I would NOT pursue ANY additional training from this outfit.

Back
Top Bottom