Computer. Help to choose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sveta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, now when i got my regulator, i'm in search of a good computer. I'm not a pro or even close but when i dive i think this is my passion forever so i want to invest in a good piece of gear. I'm looking for a hoseless, wrist, air integrated computer. Quality, design and simplicity in use are equally important.
I have read a few threads and checked some dive magazines and here are my choices:
Oceanic Atom 2.0
Oceanic VT3
Aeris Elite T3
Aeris Epic
Any advises would be highly appreciated ( as well as some other ideas for similar computers)
Thanks

You have have made some good decisions in narrowing your choices to those. Based on those choices I would pick based on the size of the wrist computer you want. I use a elite t3 as I like a slightly larger screen. The epic is the same computer basically but with in a wrist watch sized platform. I already have a dive watch so I prefer the larger screen.

Brent

Hi Sveta,

If you want to go hoseless IMO i think you should go with the VT3
if hoseless is not that important go for the oceanic pro plus2
The Atom 1/2 are IMO travel computers and not so good for normal
low vizz use.

good luck on your choice

Essentially you have narrowed your choice to two computers with one basic decision to make; large or small form factor. The Aeris and Oceanic computers are made by the same company, Pelagic Pressure Systems, and both offer nearly the same if not identical features and algorithm.

I like the larger size as I don't think I'd consider wearing my dive computer as a watch. As a point of reference, most of my diving is cold water/drysuit diving with a couple warm water trips per year.

In my opinion, there is no need for a backup SPG on recreational dives. Computer failure = end of dive. However, you'll hear many contrary opinions on this too. Do what's right for you.

They are all essentially the same computer in different packages. Look at them all and decide which looks/feels best to you.

Calinectes:
They are all essentially the same computer in different packages. Look at them all and decide which looks/feels best to you.
Yeah, that's what i figured out myself but i thought maybe i missed something. Then i'm gonna compare the pictures and go with the prettiest one.:blinking: ( sorry, but i'm still a female, even in a wetsuit)

A question:
Here is a link to scuba.com http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_17_scuba_1_gear_009076_pn_OCEANIC-VT3-AIR-NITROX-HOSELESS-DIVE-COMPUTER, but there are several options like : computer only
computer with transmitter
computer/ transmitter with retractor and so on.
What is the best combination?

In that case the smallest ones are prettier.

I'm getting an Oceanic Atom 2.0 myself.

Another consideration is the size of the displayed numbers. You should take a quick look to see which is better for you. I've decent eyes so a larger display is a non issue for me. I'd rather go for sexy :wink:

Also, if you tend to dive with gloves, you may want to bring them along with you so you can try pressing the buttons with the gloves on. The small size may be an issue if you're wearing thick gloves and aren't used to them.

I dive the VT3 and love it... these old eyes love the display! I also find it EXTREMELY easy to teach it to students.

Back
Top Bottom