Computer Recommendations for Soon-to-be Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have comments to add about the Duo or the Oceanics? I am honestly leaning towards the Duo since it is hard to ignore at $240 for a new one. It seems to have more features than the Zoop, but on the downside it doesn't have the reputation of Suuntos and also is a discontinued model.

If the Duo was discontinued just because they have a new model (just like the Gekko was discontinued to make room for the Zoop) then the Duo might be a good bargain.

I also forgot to ask whether anyone has had any issues with the 30s sampling rate of the Zoop. Have you ever wanted it to be a more frequent sampling rate?

Not really an issue for me. I have found that occasionally I'll drop below a thermocline, feel the chill and come back up but when I get back on the boat I find the temperature I registered wasn't as low as some of the other guys on the boat. I suspect the low sampling rate caused it to miss the temperature drop. Would be nice to know what the temperature was without having to ask someone else on the boat. Realistically, more data just means a more expensive computer (for the extra storage) and more frequent sampling measure shorter battery life. My Zoop does fine. The display updates faster than 30s. It only stores the data every 30s.

I'm not exactly trying to "rush" to DM, but I know what you mean and thanks for the advice. I have a large window of opportunity that allows me to dedicate ALL of my time to training for a few weeks. I don't normally live in an area where diving is accessible and don't normally have the time and regular schedule to do a course, but now I do. The main thing is that I am eager to learn more, to become more competent and confident with diving skills, and to be a safer diver, so that is my motivation for doing it.

I'm just saying that real life diving before you go on to Rescue Diver or Divemaster makes the training much better. I think there is a lot of value in getting your DM just so you have the knowledge to be a better diver. If that it your goal I can see that as a good thing. If you want to help with classes and ultimately become an instructor then experience different situations and interning with a good mentor is far more valuable than the class and pool work. Getting your Rescue Diver will make you a much better diver. Getting your DM will as well.

I think the Zoop sampling rate can be adjusted on your pc using the sync cable.
Also I believe it has multiple algorithims to choose from.

This is not my understanding. There are settings for how conservative you can make the computer (P0-P2 settings). These are not different algorithms. They are just altering parameters on the existing algorithm. When I was taught to dive I was recommended that I should calculate a dive differently if it is very cold, strong current, low visibility, etc. So I I was making a dive to 60 feet but the water was 40F I should plan the dive as if it was to 70 feet. With the Zoop, a dive in the Caribbean would be P0 but if I wanted to 'add 10 feet' I could use P1. If it is cold and strong current I should plan the dive as if it was to 80 feet. With the Zoop I'd set it to P2.

I have never read anything indicating you can increase the sample rate but then I don't have the cable.

I don't know, I'm not a DM or consider myself near it in terms of training or experience, so you guys tell me...? For those of you who are at that level and beyond, what things do you think any of these computers will make difficult or less convenient due to their features (or lack of)?

As a DM I can tell you, the longer I've been diving the simpler I like things. There isn't anything I need in a dive computer that the Zoop does not provide. When I'm watching a group of OW students or giving a certified student a refresher I just need the information I would normally get from a dive table. Knowing the temperature is an added bonus but generally speaking I can tell when I'm getting too cold and don't need a computer to tell me. I actually had an air integrated computer with lots of bells and whistles. I used it for years as an OW and AOW diver. By the time I finished Rescue Diver I sold it and used the money to get a Zoop.

Also don't turn the alarms on. They are annoying and scare away the marine life. Just learn to look at the computer. If you learn to listen for the beep, you'll be looking at your computer every time someone's computer beeps because you can't tell if it was your computer or not.

---------- Post Merged at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Someone has been drinking the Koolaid. :wink:

Leisurepro has The Oceaníc VEO 100 for only 149. I have 4 OF those for my students (rental). Great little computer. Has gauge mode. No nitrox. But I don't care much for nitrox anyway rather use it as safety than ride the limits.

They were both recommended by dive shops I frequent because of the deep stop features. Both shops told me the deep stop feature is good to have when doing a lot of deep dives (still within recreational limits). I like that they both have gauge mode so they can be uses as bottom timers. I want to take a Fundamentals or Essentials course and have been told to use a dive timer not a computer.

No, have not really looked into the Suunto Vyper yet. Thanks for your insight, since that's also kind of what I was wondering (if the Zoop would be "too basic" or eventually become "too basic" for DM). Just curious...what, specifically, do you like about the Vyper or Veo 2.0 over the Zoop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom