Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need an expensive bunch of bells and whistles at this stage of your career. Go simple and inexpensive on the computer and use the savings on quality gear, training, and DIVING. Once you figure out the type of diving you like or want to advance to, treat yourself to an upgrade if the original one won't fit the bill. Use the old computer as a backup or in gage mode as a bottom timer. I used a simple 2 gas computer through DM and instructor. I bought a Petrel when I got into tec, and I've been very happy with it for the same reasons doctormike states above. AI and integrated compasses are not really big in tec (although I know some who do use those features), so I've never really felt I missed anything by not having them.

Please note I have nothing against AI and integrated compasses--I just don't have much use for them personally. If you feel you must have those features, go for it!

Another thing, that top-of-the line computer you buy today may be out of production/obsolete in a few years when you are able to use the advanced features. Another reason to delay laying out all that cash for something with a limited service life until you really know what you want or need.

You don't need an expensive bunch of bells and whistles at this stage of your career.

Just one more thing, since this often comes up in this discussion. Some of the things that I mentioned above certainly are bells and whistles for a relatively new recreational diver (multiple algorithms, tech data). But others are just the sign of a well made dive computer, that benefit any diver (bright and easily readable display, solid construction, great customer service, user replaceable AA battery, reliable downloading).

Yes, you can certainly get a dive computer for less than the cost of a Petrel, but it's not unheard of to spend somewhat more for a quality piece of equipment in your early diving career. Sure, you can go bare bones and save $500 by buying a very basic, entry level computer and "put that money towards a dive trip". But given what dive travel costs, the few extra dives that you would get for that price have to be balanced against having a great computer that will last you for many years and give you the information that you need with a terrific user interface.

Hey, there is a big market for BMWs and Mercedes, and most of the people who buy them aren't using them because they need them for racing...

I started out with an AI computer that the salesman said was the best ever. Once that fancy technology failed and I did not originally buy a SPG (cause I don't needed a SPG cause I have an AI computer, sayeth the salesman) I was hosed. I still use an AI computer at times, other times I just use my Petrel, but I always have a SPG.

OP...based on your parameters, I would recommend a Suunto's D4 or D6 if you want a compass.

OP...based on your parameters, I would recommend a Suunto's D4 or D6 if you want a compass.

And I hope that you have young eyes! Even the Vyper (which seems bigger than the D4 or D6) is hard for me to read, and I'm hardly ancient (52).

SO nice having a big, bright, color coded display. Especially in low viz or night dives.

I never understood the idea of a dive computer that can also be worn as a fancy watch. Always seemed to me like buying a BC that can double as a dinner jacket.

Buy yourself a nice watch to wear to the bar after diving, and take something underwater with you that's easy to read.

re. the older cheaper used computers, and the Zoop etc. One of his first requirements was for them to be easily downloadable to computer. while most of those computers did have download connectors, they are stupid expensive, a colossal PITA to use and the software is terrible....

If you want used cheaper, go find a Shearwater Predator, about identical to the Petrel in function just a bit bigger. Not sure if the Rec mode was released for the predator but I'm sure you could ask and they might just do it for ****s and giggles.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the comments and feedback here.

I will continue my research and make a call soon!
I feel that for sure I have been talked away from compass and AI. I had already read a lot of negative feedback on AI previously and was really wondering if it was worth it.

I have indeed read over and over again that Petrel is a good investment for the long run... now it is time to finish up research and see if I want to bite the bullet and spend the big bucks for it or if prefer to get something half way...

As usual, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments.
Thank you!

Yes, you can certainly get a dive computer for less than the cost of a Petrel, but it's not unheard of to spend somewhat more for a quality piece of equipment in your early diving career. Sure, you can go bare bones and save $500 by buying a very basic, entry level computer and "put that money towards a dive trip". But given what dive travel costs, the few extra dives that you would get for that price have to be balanced against having a great computer that will last you for many years and give you the information that you need with a terrific user interface.

Saving $500 will get you more than a few dives where I live. Cheap air fills, tons of walk-in shore sites and inexpensive boats abound. I forget that logistics concerns are a much bigger issue for many divers, and costly as well. Oh well, since I'm moving back stateside soon, I guess I'll have to learn to pay up again.:(

I still stand by the strategy of going simpler, cheaper for a first computer, though. If cost is an issue for the OP, I'd spend the money elsewhere and go for serviceable rather than luxury on the computer.

As usual, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments.
Thank you!

I hope it's not too late for my two cents. Let me start by saying I'm giving you advice I followed and LOVED, and so I'm biased. I originally wanted ai, compass, bells and whistles. I think you should buy to of the line or as cheap as they get. I think you should skip AI and compass, for plenty of reasons I won't go over here.

If you go nice, get a Petrel. They're absolutely the most solid computers ever amd they've got the customer support to match. They're impossible to beat, but the price is high. They're also obscenely easy to sync. The user replaceable AA batteries and bluetooth sync means no proprietary cables or adapters to lose or break mid trip.

If you go cheap, get one under $300 or so. I picked up a Hold DG03. It had a great algorithm, good reviews, and want miserable to program. My wife got an Oceanic Geo 2.0..... easier to use, smaller, but nicer screen. Download cables are expensive and a pain and I'd probably skip them. No matter what you do, stay away from Suunto. They have a goofy, stupid algorithm that responds crazy weird to normal situations like repetitive dives. It's proprietary and impossible to match to other computers over a week of diving. I've also nevermet a Suunto d4 or d9 fan that had ever owned another modern computer. I'll never understand how they stay in business.

I agree with Victor. I would start off super nice or simple and bare bones. I personally chose the latter, and am very happy with my choice.

Hollis DG03 is very affordable ($249 at DGX) and simple, but still gives you lots of dive data to download on USB. It supports multiple gases and is very configurable. Configuration is awkward, but I don't tinker with the settings on mine much.

If/when you "go tech" you can switch it to "gauge mode" which is the way a majority of tech divers use their computers. Or if you don't, you'll know a lot more in a year about what type of high end computer you want to upgrade to.

I agree with Victor. I would start off simple and bare bones. Hollis DG03 is very affordable and simple, but still gives you lots of dive data to download on USB. If/when you "go tech" you can switch it to "gauge mode" which is the way a majority of tech divers use their computers.
Only thing I guess I didn't make clear was that the Petrel is clearly a better option in every way other than cost. If you don't mind the cost (your budget certainly supports the Petrel) then get the Petrel. If you would PREFER to spend less, A DG03 (or equivalent) is a great cheap alternative. If you'll be buying/wanting a nicer computer later, it'd be cheaper to get the Petrel now. I bought the dg03 because I saw no benefit of getting a Petrel (only because I was nowhere near affording one). It's certainly worth the price difference.

Back
Top Bottom