Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only thing I guess I didn't make clear was that the Petrel is clearly a better option in every way other than cost. If you don't mind the cost (your budget certainly supports the Petrel) then get the Petrel. If you would PREFER to spend less, A DG03 (or equivalent) is a great cheap alternative. If you'll be buying/wanting a nicer computer later, it'd be cheaper to get the Petrel now. I bought the dg03 because I saw no benefit of getting a Petrel (only because I was nowhere near affording one). It's certainly worth the price difference.

Exactly. Since you have budgeted $1000, you might as well at least take a look at the Petrel in person, side by side with some other options to see how you like it - that's probably more important than the reviews at your stage.

Just because you have budgeted that much doesn't mean that you need to spend it all, but if it's not a stretch for you to consider the Petrel, why not take a look? User interface is really important, and definitely worth paying extra for if you like this one...

Thank you for the continued feedback... I really appreciate it... I have not yet made a call on which way I will go.
here is where I am at:
1) decided against integrated compass
2) decided against AI

The decision now is whether to go ahead with the budget and get the petrel or get a simpler computer. I have the money it just hurts to spend it =)

By the way, looking at a lots of videos on how petrel works and performs in different situations and I really like it so far... may end up burning the cash at the end of the day...

Last edited:
if you want to save a few hundred, you can get the predator which doesn't have the rec mode, but is otherwise almost identical. just a bit larger form factor

if you want to save a few hundred, you can get the predator which doesn't have the rec mode, but is otherwise almost identical. just a bit larger form factor

True, although it doesn't take standard AA batteries, which is a nice feature on the Petrel.

Ok... sent a message to Shearwater from the website asking if the Petrel software was compatible to Windows 8.1... no response... does anyone know?

thanks I saw that on their site of it being compatible with 8 but I have no machines left on 8... so thought I would check!
Thanks for taking the time to respond. If anyone has 8.1 let me know.

The only difference between W8 and W8.1 is the front-end. The architecture is literally the same. It will work. If you're afraid it won't, just download the free software from their website and run it. You won't get it synchronizing to any PDC until you buy one, but you can see if it runs. Plus, Windows has always had a "Run in Compatibility Mode" allowing software to be backwards compatible.

here is where I am at:
1) decided against integrated compass
2) decided against AI

AI is one of those things - when you don't have it you can't see how you would ever need it. Once you have it, you get very attached to it. Just my opinion.

AI is one of those things - when you don't have it you can't see how you would ever need it. Once you have it, you get very attached to it. Just my opinion.

If only I'd had an AI computer for the first two years/few hundred dives…oh wait, I did. The only thing I missed about it was that I didn't have to note my starting and ending pressures to track my gas consumption rate…though AI realistically only does that for back gas anyway. It's simply not worth the extra pieces, battery, and hassle IMO.

If someone wants it so their dive log reflects sample by sample SAC rather than overall SAC…whatever they like. I'm not really a data junkie, but I know plenty of people who are, and that's fine too. But there's a real cost (I think of almost exclusively in terms of annoyance and failure points during handling, but there's a decent per transmitter $ cost, too) for the ability to collect that granular data. Whether the cost/benefit analysis makes sense or not is purely personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom