Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windows 8 and 8.1 are all but identical, and they can run programs designed for XP no problem. You'll be fine with the software, 100% guaranteed.

Preach brother Lecter re. AI

Thanks Victor,
I got burned with another computer which the software installed and looked like it worked just fine but at the end of the day didn't ever work on 8.1 (I returned it). So I just wanted to check to make sure!
Thanks again...

if that happens, just right click on the .exe and run it in compatibility mode back to windows 7 or windows XP

In the case of this manufacturer it won't work. Don't ask me why but their tech team confirmed it doesn't. It all looks like it does... it gets connected and looks like it should be all good but data doesn't flow.

if that happens, just right click on the .exe and run it in compatibility mode back to windows 7 or windows XP

I've gotten the Petrel to work with my PC, Mac, Android, and my wife's iOS device all flawlessly. It's via bluetooth, and it's hilariously simple.

I think in that context, he meant AI was the main feature missing from the Nitek Q he was about to recommend.

However, there's plenty wrong with AI and plenty of threads that go in to it. Let's leave this thread here, away from AI arguments

that's exactly what I meant, it is a killer when you are looking at quite a few of the computers that would fall under his list because it kills all of the shearwater line, the DiveRite line, and quite a few others that had all of the other features he was looking for.

Only time AI can kill you is if you are a dumbass and don't have an analog gauge in there with it and don't have redundancy to bail your butt out if you run out of gas because the computer decided to not sync with the transmitter or whatever else that causes the pressure to not transmit. Now, if the AI computers were integrated by a hard cable, i.e. how the rebreathers monitor PO2, that would be a VERY different story in how they might be useful to tech divers, unfortunately that isn't going to happen and is thus a moot point, it's the fact that they're wireless that makes them scary for us.

sidetrack over

I have been using AI dive computers for recreational diving for almost 10 years.
I am still alive.

AI can kill you is if you are a dumbass and don't have an analog gauge in there with it and don't have redundancy to bail your butt out if you run out of gas because the computer decided to not sync with the transmitter or whatever else that causes the pressure to not transmit.

I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 as my primary computer for 4 years, 414 dives. Not a single problem, single, uncomplicated battery change to date. Of course, I have no desire to lose even a single dive so have an Oceanic Geo2 and a SPG as backup. I've never needed either but do like to check my Geo2 for NDL when my VT3 is limited by air time. If I was diving my AI only and no longer had access to my gas supply, I would abort the dive in a timely matter and have no emergency. This is a topic that routinely drives excessive drama. Come on, it's not that complicated. I wear an analog compass, I use it frequently and can't think of a good reason that I need an electronic compass. Maybe I'm just an old guy and don't know what I'm missing, wouldn't be the 1st time.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom