Computers Vs. Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to recommend you get a computer. A copmuter as long as the batteries are fresh will also help you with you dive the whole time. A computer can readjust your dive time to fit your dive. My two cents would stear you towards a Suunto Gekko. I have one and it is an excellent computer, and it is nitrox capable. They are around 300 bucks depending on where you get it and if you want anty extras.

Get a computer, a decent watch and pressure gauge. Lots of this stuff both new and used on Ebay. If you are interested in wasting a bunch of money go ahead and buy new from you local LDS. Seems self-defeating to me. You will find out in a short period of time that your LDS isn't nearly as interested in your welfare as you are in theirs.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. If you're weighing up a computer vs gauges does that mean you will be diving with one or the other? Or is it just that you will be diving with your own gauges or your own computer and rental gauges?

I would be very uncomfortable without gauges. Even if the computer is air integrated I would still feel much safer if I have a SPG where I can see how much air I have left. If I misunderstood, disregard this.

Apart from that I'd like to make a comment on computers in general. I may be wrong, but having done a fair amount of homework before I bought mine, I came to this conclusion.

It seems to me that, unless you buy a Trimix computer (like the VR3 or Suunto HelO2), the features that separate dive computers are not really related to the level of your diving. In other words, the things that make one computer more expensive than another are stuff like built in electronic compasses, wireless air integration, bottom time graphs and what have you but not really much that you would specifically start needing once you become more advanced.

Even the most basic computers these days can be set to Nitrox mode, that's perhaps the one featuer that I would think is important if you plan on going "advanced" with the computer. Other than that, the only feature that I'm aware of which some computers have and others don't is the ability to switch between gasses. This switching is still only between air and different mixes of Nitrox, no fancy gasses. I'm still not sure how common that type of diving is, I mean now the type where you dive on different gasses but not Trimix. I guess there's a narrow niche for divers doing deco on enriched air but maybe someone more experienced than me can comment on how narrow/wide that niche really is.

Anyways, I'm rambling all of this in response to
My question is buy analog gauges and wait to buy a better computer down the road when I want to get more advanced with my diving or buy a cheaper computer now and upgrade later??
Basically what I wanted to say is that if you buy a computer now, even a basic one, chances are it will be sufficient until you are pretty advanced. And by the time your diving is so advanced that it's not sufficient anymore, you'd be needing a computer that would be much more expensive and way overkill for the type of diving you'll be doing now and for some years to follow - not the type of computer you'd be likely to justify buying until then anyway.

Buy a Citizens Aqualand watch (depthguage, depth alarm, watch, timer, dive log) and a set of plastic tables. Get a computer later.

I'm curious just how easy/hard it is to use a typical dive watch (this seems to be a decent one) with a 7mil wetsuit or drysuit. Can you get straps long enough for this use?

I would also ask just out of curiosity why you recommend this approach rather than just getting a dive computer and initially using it in gauge mode (does the same thing and can also be used as a computer).

If this was to be used only in warm water I'd agree that a watch might be more practical...especially an eco drive where there are no batteries to replace.

Usually I would agree with Thal on this one. However since you have cut your teeth with 15 or so under you belt and you have the rest of your gear you are probably a keeper.

There is a learning benefit to diving analog but you have done some of that. You are very close to being able to avoid some financial redundancy and it's a safe bet you will get good use from the computer. That being said go for it but be sure it is a nitrox capable model.

Pete

Yeah I am not going anywhere lol. I have wanted to dive since I was a kid. Last year I only got in a few dives early in the spring and due to an injury had to take the rest of the year off which was a huge disappointment. I love diving even if its in low viz 40 degree fresh water lol. After reading these posts I have decided against the VEO 100 because it does not support nitrox and I will really only get about 1 year of use out of it before I want to take my nitrox class.

I would have to recommend you get a computer. A copmuter as long as the batteries are fresh will also help you with you dive the whole time. A computer can readjust your dive time to fit your dive. My two cents would stear you towards a Suunto Gekko. I have one and it is an excellent computer, and it is nitrox capable. They are around 300 bucks depending on where you get it and if you want anty extras.

I have always prefered Suunto and Uwatec computers when I have rented them. I am going to the shop I got certified at which is about 45 minutes from my house now and see if they have a Gekko and what kind of price they will give me. They carry Suunto so hopefully they will have one in stock.

Diving w/o a computer today makes no sense to me, except possibly for single dives with shallow profiles. But why? Get a console with SPG, a compass, and a Nitrox computer. Alternatively, if you want a wrist computer, get a two pocket console for the SPG and the compass. ScubaToys can do either at great price.

Consoles make no sense to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom