Confederation Park Unidentified Shipwreck Hamilton ON 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for more shoreline dives in the Hamilton area use the google map in the previous messages and follow it east along the shore until you seethe small floating barge . There will be a home with a pool just to the left with some solar panels on the roof. If you look closely you will see the outline of a vessel bow to shore. It measures 175' in length and was probably placed here as a break wall back in the day. Boat access only. Also , if you use the same map over to the the Burlington canal, move south to the small green roof building on its own and look offshore carefully for the wreck of a barge. The wreck of the ship off of Conferderation park is the John R. It was a barge used in the Hamilton harbour area and was abandoned at the start of WWI. It was built on the burned out hull of the Alma Munro.

Great finds, it's kind of neat being able to see the wrecks on google maps.

I think I found the first one you mentioned here: Google Maps
It'd be about a 400m swim from the beach infront of Breezeway Trail.
The is also a pathway with some benches at the end of Grays Rd. It looks like you could hop the short fence and get access that way. It's only about a 150m swim if you do that, but the beach infront of the fence may be part of the homeowner's property. Diving off of a boat would definatly make things easier.

Wasn't able to find the barge south of the canal.

...but the beach infront of the fence may be part of the homeowner's property...

Thanks for updating this post everyone, lots of good dives being discovered lately. At least new to me and I have or have read nearly every Chris Kohl and Ron Brown book.

In Ontario the government owns 30 meters of most beachfront property under something called Shoreline Reservation. I may be totally wrong but as far as this document declares [link]

One more thing about diving in Hamilton. Always check the water quality website before going [link here].
As of August 4th 2016 even they have shut down swimming in some areas due to blue green toxic algae.

Confederation Park was last tested August 9 and tested safe to swim. According to their site. Makes me think of Kramer swimming the East River.

Went to Confederation Park today with Scuba D.

Water temps were nice, 73 F.

The water vis was only 5 feet, or less. The water was very very dirty looking. Which is to bad, because we found the wreck in 10 seconds and had a good 20 minutes checking it out. Found the boiler and lots of other metal parts.

I also want to point out another possible wreck, and Im sure someone can identify this for us. The wreck that is most west. North is up, Pay attention to the wreck I have labelled all the way west. The 2nd slide I have uploaded corresponds to that and shows a more zoomed in view.
3 Shipwrecks Identified Summer 2016 Confederation Park Hamilton.jpg

1 Eastmost Unidentified Confederation Park Hamilton Shipwreck.jpg

Below is the wreck we did get to do. The current was to strong today and to kick to all of our targets would of been more than I had to give today. Still a great dive, always lots of fun.
3 Alma Munro or John R Shipwreck Confederation Park Hamilton.jpg

So we dove the Alma Munro it looks like today. It is about a 5 minute hike after you park your car on Gray St. I devised this little rig after the first trip I made here in June. Makes the walk in so much easier. Only cost about $80 in total supplies. Check it out. Enough dive gear for me and Scuba D.
Scuba Cart J Turner.jpg

Here is a couple pics from todays dive at the park.

vlcsnap_confederationpark_01.jpg
vlcsnap_confederationpark_02.jpg

Huge difference in vis (shocking). June was fairly clear, but freezing cold waters. Today the reverse. Wont make it back to these sites until 2017.

Attachments

• 4 Unidentified Shipwreck Confederation Park Hamilton Ontario.jpg
    4 Unidentified Shipwreck Confederation Park Hamilton Ontario.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom