Confused - dive watch vs. dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Timex analog watch that I got at Wal Mart a couple of years ago for $20-30. I use it as my weekend watch and just keep it on for diving too. I have had no problem with it and I seem to be tough on watches. I do have a computer for diving but I find that I put the watch back on when I dive so I don't lose it on the shore or boat. I set the bezel for bottom time out of habit more than need for redundancy.

One thing to watch for. Timex (and maybe other brands) have a lot of watches with "neat" elapsed timer bezels that DO NOT turn. Pretty, but not very useful for timing a dive.

The Hyper Aqualand is a watch that includes a bottom timer and depth gauge. It is not a dive computer. It will give you all the information you need to follow your dive plan and then plan repetitive dives.

I use a Frestyle watch when I don't want to damage my Citizen watch Freestyle - The Official Site. Freestyle watches. Surf, Skate, Snow, and Wake . You can find them at Sports Chalet for around $40 and I think they have ladies models.

Doesn't a dive computer provide you with bottom timer and depth gauge? Why do you need both the Citizen watch and a computer?

Doesn't a dive computer provide you with bottom timer and depth gauge? Why do you need both the Citizen watch and a computer?

Yes, a modern dive computer will provide you that information. I use it (the Citizen) for two reasons; One, primarly as a backup in case my regular dive computer fails. Second, it is easier to glance at the watch for dive elapsed time and depth than to get it of my computer. (Plus it is a really good looking watch!)

So it seems the watch is redundant and more for a back up? My dive instructor kept saying how are you going to know how long your dive was without a watch? I guess she meant if I wasn't using a computer. I thought since I told her we'd have computers on the trip she knew that, but maybe it was truly a safety thing for back-up?

Maybe I don't need anything other than the dive computer they are providing me...

I like the really good looking watch part and my b-day is in about 2 weeks...don't think hubby is going to want to spring for a $360 watch though on top of the 2 1/2 week trip to Australia. :)

So it seems the watch is redundant and more for a back up? My dive instructor kept saying how are you going to know how long your dive was without a watch? I guess she meant if I wasn't using a computer. I thought since I told her we'd have computers on the trip she knew that, but maybe it was truly a safety thing for back-up?

Maybe I don't need anything other than the dive computer they are providing me...

Yes, it is truly for redundancy.

Back when divers first started all we had was a good watch and depth gauge then added pressure gauges. So the only way we could record our dive accurately was to note the dive elapsed time and the maximum depth. (These factors are needed to read the dive tables and plan dives.)

However the new computers record all of that information for us and most allow downloading that data into an electronic log book. Now, as for traveling to a site where the operator provides you a computer. That’s fine and it will record the info, you just have to remember to write it down before you leave the boat and that computer at the dock.

For me it's more than redundancy. I prefer to read the time from my large digit Timex Ironman ($30). You can/will time the length of dive with the computer but, in addition, the Captain will give you a "be back onboard by XX:XX o'clock". The watch is just more convenient.

Redundancy. And easier at a quick glance to see elapsed dive time and "real" time of day (needed for getting back to the boat at a certain time).

I have a computer, but also use a Citizen Eco-Drive (300m). It was not too expensive (I think I got mine from LeisurePro for about $120? Can't remember now), it comes in men's & women's version (my wife and daughter have them too).

Anyway, you do NOT need to spend a huge sum to get a reliable dive watch.

Your computer will of course give you depth and time along with tracking your nitrogen loading, but I like a simple & reliable backup, so I always have and analog depth guage and a wrist watch.

Good luck.

OK, here's what you need to know........(I'm @ the office & don't have the link right now but can post it in a little while if you are interested)......A Casio 200 meter stop/alarm/bottom timer......GREAT watch for under $30 US , no tax, and free shipping to your front doorstep...I've had 3 since ~85 or 86 and it is ALL the watch you will EVER need for diving.......In the old days before computers, that's how I dove, an UW stop watch and the navy tables----got me home everytime safe, healthy, and somewhat sound...lol......

Jodie, here's the watch(link).....I can assure it's a very good one esp for the money....$29.50......

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Shock Resistant Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Jewelry

Here's a perspective on what dive computers, bottom timers, and dive watches do for you.

As we learned in OW class, critical things we need to know for a dive are depth and elapsed dive time. We used these in class to plan our dives so as to avoid decompression obligations.

A dive computer keeps track of depth--including varying depth--and time, and it continuously updates one's remaining no-deco time. That's the computer's central function. It's a kind of automated dive table. Since it "knows" depth and time, it displays them in addition to remaining no-deco time.

A bottom timer "knows" depth and time, but it doesn't (can't) compute remaining no-deco time. Even so, if you enter the water having planned your dive, you'll have at least an idea of the dive's max depth and time, so a bottom timer can backup your computer if it dies (dead battery, flooding, lost, etc.). With your dive planning information and a bottom timer, you'll have a good idea of your situation regarding decompression. Some even carry dive tables with them so they can update their dive plan underwater, using the bottom timer's information.

A dive watch, unlike a bottom timer, is a waterproof time piece. As a watch, it doesn't know or display your depth. Therefore, it can't be used to back up the dive computer's key function: computing remaining no-deco time. [Exception: if you dive a square profile--go to a planned depth and stay there until you ascend--you already know your depth, so elapsed time is all you need to stay out of deco trouble, if you've planned your dive.]

So: If the question is how to back up a dive computer in case it fails, there are two options. One is a second computer! The other is a bottom timer and good dive planning (which you should do, anyway). A dive watch shouldn't be considered a backup: it will only give you time, and there's not much no-deco time insight to be gained from time alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom