Confused - dive watch vs. dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't a dive computer provide you with bottom timer and depth gauge? Why do you need both the Citizen watch and a computer?

Not all dive computer will tell you what time it is or when you left surface for your dive. I use the watch as a back up to my computer and to figure start of dive time and or end of dive time.

I don't wear it when I dive dry. It scres up the dry suit wrist seals something terrable. :11:

So it seems the watch is redundant and more for a back up? My dive instructor kept saying how are you going to know how long your dive was without a watch? I guess she meant if I wasn't using a computer. I thought since I told her we'd have computers on the trip she knew that, but maybe it was truly a safety thing for back-up?

Maybe I don't need anything other than the dive computer they are providing me...

The standards of instruction for most SCUBA instruction agencies require each student to have a timing device during their training dives. A computer will cover this requirement, but you have to have it during the class. Renting it on vacation later will not suffice. Just get a cheep watch for your class and get on with it.

A dive watch, unlike a bottom timer, is a waterproof time piece. As a watch, it doesn't know or display your depth. Therefore, it can't be used to back up the dive computer's key function: computing remaining no-deco time.

Humm....

My watch tells me depth and remembers my maximum depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
A dive watch, unlike a bottom timer, is a waterproof time piece. As a watch, it doesn't know or display your depth. Therefore, it can't be used to back up the dive computer's key function: computing remaining no-deco time.

Humm....

My watch tells me depth and remembers my maximum depth.

Mine does too.

i have the citizen aqualand and its pretty much the closest thing you can get to a dive computer... except it is definitely not one. it regulates depth, temp, sit time, ascent rate (with alarm), logs 20 dives in memory, and can hook up to a computer to chart out your past dives.

it does not calculate how long/how deep you should dive in the future (computing your no-deco times), nor does it have nearly the dive information you can get from a dive computer. all in all, i love the watch, but its just that. a dive watch (with a lot of bells and whistles). all in all, you can get a cheaper time piece for diving, but id recomend getting a full on dive computer over.

i have the citizen aqualand and its pretty much the closest thing you can get to a dive computer... except it is definitely not one. it regulates depth, temp, sit time, ascent rate (with alarm), logs 20 dives in memory, and can hook up to a computer to chart out your past dives.

it does not calculate how long/how deep you should dive in the future (computing your no-deco times), nor does it have nearly the dive information you can get from a dive computer. all in all, i love the watch, but its just that. a dive watch (with a lot of bells and whistles). all in all, you can get a cheaper time piece for diving, but id recomend getting a full on dive computer over.

I have the aqualand as well. One nice thing is if your computer fails this watch also has the no-deco time limits printed on the band. So you don't have to abort your dive right away as long as you're okay with regard to dive tables.

We're involved in semantic distinctions--using the same term for different things.

Long ago watches were invented, i.e., timepieces, that you wear on your wrist. Then special time-related functions were added (timer, alarm, etc.). Still watches.

Then other, non-time-related functions were added (such as depth). Since these evolved from watches and are worn on the wrist, it's natural (and OK) to call them watches. But for scuba purposes, their evolution has made them into something distinct from plain timepieces, so I (and lots of others) use the name bottom timer for those "watches" that include depth.

If you continue to add functions beyond depth to your watch, you'll eventually wind up adding deco computation functions, such as the pretty Sunnto D9 wrist piece. To be consistent, you should call that a watch, too. But I don't think you do, choosing to call it a dive computer instead.

That illustrates the virtue of distinguishing different groupings of functionality by different names. That's all I was trying to do in distinguishing "watch" from "bottom timer" from "dive computer." If you don't make the distinctions for me somehow, I can't tell what you're talking about.

Hi everyone, I'm new here as well so hi to everyone. I dive with a computer & a watch as a backup. For tracking bottom time, for me I personally think as long as it has a timer or a one way bezel, then it should be OK. If you plan to do a lot of diving it would be wise to invest in a computer. As a watch i use a Citizen Aqualand which tracks time & depth & also logs up to 4 dives but at at $300 it's probably more than you're planning spending on at the moment. Enjoy your diving.

If you need something that screams "I'm a diver" then get a "dive watch". The cost may be on the order of magnitude of a computer but what the heck.

If you are trying to be sensible with $$ then just get an elcheapo watch as has been mentioned. So what if it implodes or rots away, it was only $20. In the end classy dive watches and bottom timers just don't have real value compared to getting a primary or back-up computer. This was not always true but with computers coming down in price the age of the dive watch is fading fast.

Pete

diver 85 I would love to see the link you mentioned. I need a basic diving watch, and I'd rather go cheap too. I figure here will be PLENTY of opportunities to spend money as I take up tis hobby. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom