conshelf se?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how hard is it service the reg yourself, i would like to learn how.

it's not that hard at all brother... however for many brands you have to be associated with a dealer of those reg's... that can be a tough gig... and even tougher is that you'd need to get your parts through a dealer/service center also.

There are reg's on the market today that will allow the average joe to take the class AND buy the parts needed... HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) I know there's at least one other MFG that does this kind of thing I just can't remember who it is at the moment.

how hard is it service the reg yourself, i would like to learn how.

It's not rocket science. There are a few special tools (some necessary and others nice to have) and you need some mechanical skills. If you can rebuild small engine carbs, you can do regs. A great place to start is reading "Regulator Savvy" and "SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR" . Between these 2 books and your regs service manual (many are on line) you should be able to do a fine job. Parts can be a little hard to find at times but there is usually a way around the dealers, either on line, ebay or DIY parts.

You can get parts from vintagedoublehose. You'll be missing a couple of o-rings for the 1/2" port, but there're substitutes.

And to deal with all them messy little parts yoke side, you may want the herman's special HP assembly tool from the gentleman above. Wonder why he keeps forgetting that part? :D

Must be modesty, like ZKY the member here that produces
the best backplate-bcd platform on the market, yet refuses
to advertise or plug his exceptional Freedom plate, on here
either

I don't like coming across like a commercial so I don't say much about them here unless ask.

Zung, when are you going to get a real reg, one with 2 manly hoses instead of those wimpy little ones? :)

I have inspected both of the 2nd stage regs for the cracks in the body that ya'll were talking about, and they look great no cracks!!.thanks for the info on regulator service i am looking into the books herman recommended. i noticed in reading other posts that alot of divers use a 2nd set of regulators for pool diving what is the reason for that. i was planing on useing my set when i go get my scuba certification, does the pool water damage the regulators or something?
or would i be better to rent gear for the training and only use my gear in open water?

I have inspected both of the 2nd stage regs for the cracks in the body that ya'll were talking about, and they look great no cracks!!.thanks for the info on regulator service i am looking into the books herman recommended. i noticed in reading other posts that alot of divers use a 2nd set of regulators for pool diving what is the reason for that. i was planing on useing my set when i go get my scuba certification, does the pool water damage the regulators or something?
or would i be better to rent gear for the training and only use my gear in open water?

It's no big deal to use regs in a pool for occasional use, just rinse them good when you are done. Those of us who spend a lot of time in the pool (and have more gear than most small dive shops :) ) just prefer to use a less expensive/older set in the pool. Chlorine does a number of BC's and wetsuits, bleaching them to a very lovely shade of brown (which also takes a good number of dives so the occasional pool dip of your good BC/wetsuit is not a big deal either) so we like to keep a complete set of pool gear together rather using our better gear....or at least that is the reason I do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom