Considerations around switching to a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a designer I can appreciate how hard it is to make a design this simple and (Tobin is going to hate this) elegant.

I also have a DSS single tank rig (and a $50 Blue Reef SS plate that is working great for doubles). I don't have one yet, but the VDH universal single tank back plate looks even more simple, elegant and streamlined. And way less expensive. It's no good if you need one bp that will handle singles and doubles. But, if you need something just for single tank...

Store - Vintage Double Hose

I have a VDH plate on my Christmas list. If Santa doesn't bring me one, I'll be ordering one shortly thereafter.

Are there strong opinions re: LCD20 vs Torus 18?
Doughnut sounds better but tend towards the LCD to give me a bit more buffer for heavy rig (15l steel tanks).

Are there strong opinions re: LCD20 vs Torus 18?
Doughnut sounds better but tend towards the LCD to give me a bit more buffer for heavy rig (15l steel tanks).

I use a Hog 23# with my single steel 15l tanks. The Hog 23 would give you a donut, a zipper to access the bladder, and a little bit more buffer than the LCD20. I got mine a year ago on sale for $170. Then I saw them on sale on Black Friday for $150. It might be worth waiting another 3 weeks for Black Friday this year to see what all is on sale.

One of those paired with the VDH Universal BP would give you a pretty sweet, very compact and streamlined rig for a very low total cost.

remember to be wary of claimed lift capacities for wings. Most of them are quoted without a tank and usually not on the backplate, the DSS wings are validated with 8" diameter cylinders when mounted. I'm not sure how HOG measures theirs.

@stuartv remember the OP is in the UK so has import duties, shipping, etc. to consider when trying to bring stuff over there.

@rombre I don't think you'll see any real strong preferences for one or the other. You are going to be pushing it with 15l tanks though unless you are in a drysuit.

@stuartv remember the OP is in the UK so has import duties, shipping, etc. to consider when trying to bring stuff over there.

I did think of that, but since he's talking about DSS wings, which would come from the U.S., I figured that would be a wash. But, if he can source a wing from somewhere in-country, he might come out even better. And shipping, duties, etc., should also be less on a VDH plate than a DSS plate, I think, since it's cheaper, thinner and lighter (assuming DSS SS plate).

@rombre I don't think you'll see any real strong preferences for one or the other. You are going to be pushing it with 15l tanks though unless you are in a drysuit.
My calculations (for floating rig, which should be the only limitation when using 3mm/5mm wetsuits) were:

BP/W with SS BP -6, reg -2 = -8
with AL80 (12l Alu) -3 => -11
with AL100 (15l Alu) -5 => -13
with HP100 (15l Steel?) -10 => -18

Is that a too optimistic calculation?

I did think of that, but since he's talking about DSS wings, which would come from the U.S., I figured that would be a wash. But, if he can source a wing from somewhere in-country, he might come out even better. And shipping, duties, etc., should also be less on a VDH plate than a DSS plate, I think, since it's cheaper, thinner and lighter (assuming DSS SS plate).
Yes, the DSS rig will also cost me A LOT on shipping and duties.
The VDH plate looks nice but I would prefer a SS for the additional distributed weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom