Considering a Florida trip for Cert dives in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, I hope it's OK to post my question in this area.

I recently began PADI OW classes and hope to travel to Florida right after Easter to complete the cert dives. I was wondering if the folks here knowledgeable of the Key Largo, Islamadora, Tavernier areas might be able to recommend a dive shop where I could complete these requirements for my certification. Hotel recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

And one last question...I know this is pretty subjective but what would the recommended exposure protection be for these waters in April?

Thanks,

I really cannot recommend a dive shop. Do a search on the internet, most of the dive shops are good. The only one I'm familiar with is www.silentworld.com .

Coming from WAY up north a 3mm or less full will be sufficient. :azvatar:

fins:
I was wondering if the folks here knowledgeable of the Key Largo, Islamadora, Tavernier areas might be able to recommend a dive shop where I could complete these requirements for my certification.

Take a look at: http://reef-divers.com/scubaboard/keysdiving.htm

I have most, if not all of the Florida Keys operators linked there.

My personal preference for you would be: Quiesence and/or Scuba-Do

Well I know around April, most people wear no exposure protection at all maybe with the exception of a dive skin. I occasionally wear a 3 mm full anyways just because I like to be warm but others wear nothing or at most a 2mm shorty. Believe me exposure protection should not really be a big issue in April down here.

I dove with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. They ran a good operation. But if you arent interested in cattle boats then i have heard some good things about the six pack boats. I stayed at the marina del mar hotel which wasnt luxurious but clean and comfortable. The Islander in Islamorada is right on the ocean with some comfortable rooms for a modest price.

I was diving off of Largo, Tavenier last April. Contrary to other posts for exposure protection. My 3mm full suit was "adequate". The water temperature was running about 73 (Kind of cold for the keys).

I know, probably like bath water for those of you who don't live around here.

Captain Jim,

Nice summary with links to all the dive shops in the Keys. I live in Miami, but have yet to find one comprehensive listing of all the Keys dive shops. This is great. thanks.

Deron

Capt Jim Wyatt:
Take a look at: http://reef-divers.com/scubaboard/keysdiving.htm

I have most, if not all of the Florida Keys operators linked there.

My personal preference for you would be: Quiesence and/or Scuba-Do

deronw:
Captain Jim,

Nice summary with links to all the dive shops in the Keys. I live in Miami, but have yet to find one comprehensive listing of all the Keys dive shops. This is great. thanks.

Deron
Since the www.conchdivers.com site is now active you can go there for the listings.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom