Considering a Florida trip for Cert dives in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Crazy14:
I dove with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. They ran a good operation. But if you arent interested in cattle boats then i have heard some good things about the six pack boats. I stayed at the marina del mar hotel which wasnt luxurious but clean and comfortable. The Islander in Islamorada is right on the ocean with some comfortable rooms for a modest price.

I like Ocean Divers as well. As for cattle boats, a couple of thoughts. You can interact and observe other divers and learn from them (not all divers are good examples though). It will be more comfortable for you on a larger boat if it is your first time out on the ocean. You'll have more room to don your gear, and the ride will be smoother (seasickness). On a big boat, you can walk around after the dive, lay down to rest, and will have plenty of room to stow your gear. 6-pak boats, little center counsole boats with outboards, can be a little trickier for a new diver. They can be cramped if 6 divers are onboard. You'll be doing a backroll off the gunall instead of a giant stride off the swimplatform. Not a big deal, but you probably didn't practice it in your pool dives. Getting back in a 6-pak can be trickier as well depending on the type of ladder and it's positioning next to the outboard engines.

Anyway, these are some of the differences between the larger boats of Ocean Divers and the smaller 6-pak's. Everyone has their own preferences. The best situation is a big boat with only 6 divers!

mempilot:
Anyway, these are some of the differences between the larger boats of Ocean Divers and the smaller 6-pak's. Everyone has their own preferences. The best situation is a big boat with only 6 divers!

Funny you should say that, Horizon Divers uses the same kind of boat Boy Scout's Sea Base uses, I've been on the boat at Sea Base with 24 people on it, I've never seen more than 12 people on Horizon's boat.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
Funny you should say that, Horizon Divers uses the same kind of boat Boy Scout's Sea Base uses, I've been on the boat at Sea Base with 24 people on it, I've never seen more than 12 people on Horizon's boat.

Ben

Ya, I love the big boat, few diver situation. I like having space. I was out on Pro-Dive's boat last Monday (Ft. Lauderdale). It's a big boat with an upper deck. We only had 8 divers. I took the starboard side, the rest took the port side. I didn't think I put off that kind of vibe! :)

Heh man, your gear is touching my gear! LOL

vote for Horizon Divers. Great staff and ownership. As Gator said, they were voted best in Rodale's before they cancelled that category. (According to the owners of Horizon, the Dive Ops that advertise in Rodale's were miffed that they were upstaged by Horizon, so Rodale's discontinued that particular category. No data to back thi9s up, just repeating teh story they told.)

We have used Horizon Divers several times and we have been very pleased. Call them and see what they can do. They can arrange good rates with a couple local hotels. In 2002 we stayed at the Ramada that was about 100 yards from Horizon. That was SO convenient, and it was half the normal price using Horizon as a reference. I think it was like $89 a night compared to $165. Something like that.

Just some ideas,

Wristshot.

I just got back to INDY from KEYS yesterday (Tuesday 2-10-04). Dove out of Tavernier with TAVERNIER DIVE CENTER. Did 2 dives on Spiegel Grove (two thumbs up), 2 dives on Eagle wreck, 4 reef dives (2 of which were drifts). Mike (the owner) is great, as well as Scott (his captain). This is the 3rd time I've dove with that shop. They have your standard 40 foot v-hull boat. They are on the web www.tavernierdivecenter.com I believe. I also dove with REEF ADVENTURES out of Pennekamp Park. They are less expensive (only $41 if you bring your own tanks, like I do) and have a 45 foot catamaran/deck boat. Which has alot more deck space than a v-hull. They mostly stay within the park and go to French and Molasses Reefs, so not as challenging dives. Also, since they are in the Park, they get more people showing up (singles and small groups) and are (in my experience) more likely to go out at "slow time of year" than other operators.

Hotels - get ready to shell out some bucks. Holiday Inn (100 mile marker) is nice (OK like regular Holiday Inn - nothing fancy) and starts at $149 a night (for a regular room). We stayed at Ocean Pointe Suites (about 90 mile marker) in a 2 bedroom condo (nice) for $150 a night (also has a web site). If you are "more daring" you can stay at some "mom & Pop" "KEY'S STYLE" places for around $60 a night. Not as nice as Holiday Inn, but you'll be diving all day, right? One I've stayed at several times is called Ed & Ellen's at 103 mile marker. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times when diving by myself, but don't know if my wife would like it. :)

Have a great trip. Good luck with the weather. I'm ready to go back!

Mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom