Considering BP/W switch and need input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see how one might have a collection of wings for different applications. I'll probably start with a minimalist one for my singles diving, and size up if and when I decide to do doubles.

Although my "for at least the near future" diving was not the same as yours, I made a similar decision, which was basically to buy a wing that was "just right" the type of diving I knew I would be doing all/most after my OW certification, and then to add other wings as/when necessary.

For me that was "tropical" warm-water diving with single rental aluminum tanks, which translated to a narrow, 17/18# wing. I've never wished I had a more "all-purpose" size/shape wing, and will gladly buy a larger or different one when the time comes.

(I realize you are talking about singles vs. doubles, but I used the same criteria for singles vs. singles but different temps/tanks/etc.)

Blue Sparkle

Are you saying you can't swim down a couple lbs of positive buoyancy? Wow, if I was incapable of swimming down against 3-4 lb soy positive buoyancy I'd hang up my fins.

If I decide that I want to stop 2' below the boat, I should be able to do so without turning upside down and finning, and without exhaling all the air in my lungs, since that only fixes things for a few seconds. I'm fond of regular breathing and just don't see a reason to dive under-weighted.

flots.

Lulubelle,

If you're looking for travel, consider this package. You can always add an AL or Steel plate if desired.

If I decide that I want to stop 2' below the boat, I should be able to do so without turning upside down and finning, and without exhaling all the air in my lungs, since that only fixes things for a few seconds. I'm fond of regular breathing and just don't see a reason to dive under-weighted.

flots.

Nonsense. You can't hold 1/2 a breath for more than a few seconds? Yet another reason to hang up your fins.

If you need to just back kick a bit, easy as pie.

The fact remains that many recreational accidents involve divers that are struggling at the surface. They either never drop their weight belt or fail to inflate their BC. Advocating being overweighted only makes these events more likely.

Tobin

Hi L. The entire thread went all Scubaboard. My phone got trashed, but I'll pm ya.It ain't rocket science.

Nonsense. You can't hold 1/2 a breath for more than a few seconds? Yet another reason to hang up your fins.

The fact remains that many recreational accidents involve divers that are struggling at the surface. They either never drop their weight belt or fail to inflate their BC. Advocating being overweighted only makes these events more likely.

Tobin

Wow you don't give up... Think a lot of people die because they had the extra 3 lbs that allows them to hang comfortably at 10 feet? I firmly believe that a diver should be configured that they can control their buoyancy AND breath in a natural and comfortable way.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cool_hardware52

Tobin

Wow you don't give up... Think a lot of people die because they had the extra 3 lbs that allows them to hang comfortably at 10 feet? I firmly believe that a diver should be configured that they can control their buoyancy AND breath in a natural and comfortable way.

Most of our beach dives include a swim of 200 to 300 feet in 5' or so water. I want to be weighted so I can stay down in this shallow water, you ask why? Because there are a lot of critters to see in this close to shore, and seeing marine life is one of the reasons I dive in the first place.

2-3 lbs is OK, but that's not what flots is advocating now is it?

Tobin

Most of our beach dives include a swim of 200 to 300 feet in 5' or so water. I want to be weighted so I can stay down in this shallow water, you ask why? Because there are a lot of critters to see in this close to shore, and seeing marine life is one of the reasons I dive in the first place.

Hanging out @ 3-4 ft doesn't require being 8-10 lbs negative at the surface.

Tobin

2-3 lbs is OK, but that's not what flots is advocating now is it?

Tobin

not sure exactly, but I figure the difference in buoyancy generated from breathing off the bottom of the lungs, versus a normal breathing (tidal) volume is probably around 3 lbs or something. It is dumb to wear more weight than you need, but it is more dummer to take too little...

Back
Top Bottom